K&N Air Filter - question

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
Default K&N Air Filter - question

does anyone make an aftermarket replacement filter like this:
K&N RP-5105 Universal Air Filter - Carbon Fiber Top and Base

K&N wants $130 - yikes. Spectre doesnt seem to make one. any other cheaper alternatives?
Old 07-20-2017, 01:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you still have a MAF.....K&N filters are the worst filter. They decrease the performance of your car.

But never seen a shape like that.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

I run that filter but wash it in Dawn's dish soap and don't re-oil it.

I definitely will not be replacing it for $135 lol. Also do not know of any knock off replacements either
Old 07-20-2017, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I run the K&N panel style filter, still have the MAF, and have never had a single issue. A lot of the issues come from improper oiling of the filter. If done correctly it shouldn't be a problem
Old 07-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I run the K&N panel style filter, still have the MAF, and have never had a single issue. A lot of the issues come from improper oiling of the filter. If done correctly it shouldn't be a problem
Not saying the K&N kills an engine or makes it stall out.....

Even when oiled perfectly.......the first time you drive in the rain, through fog, or just get a splash of water in there......that perfect layer of oil reactivates and immediately goes right onto the MAF sensor wires. You may not feel a big change....but a dirty MAF is absolutely robbing you of some performance and WOT throttle response. The wetter the filter gets.....the worse the performance gets over time. Until the MAF is cleaned again.....

Also, a paper filter is many times better than a K&N for stopping dirt. Also, power gains from K&N filters are all dyno tricks. They never show any power gains if done independently.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not wanting to get into the debate of whether or not K&N provides more power, better filtration etc...

I am wanting to make a custom CAI for my ride utilizing that style filter. But the cheapest i can find is one thats similar for $123 - yikes
Old 07-20-2017, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Not saying the K&N kills an engine or makes it stall out.....

Even when oiled perfectly.......the first time you drive in the rain, through fog, or just get a splash of water in there......that perfect layer of oil reactivates and immediately goes right onto the MAF sensor wires. You may not feel a big change....but a dirty MAF is absolutely robbing you of some performance and WOT throttle response. The wetter the filter gets.....the worse the performance gets over time. Until the MAF is cleaned again.....

Also, a paper filter is many times better than a K&N for stopping dirt. Also, power gains from K&N filters are all dyno tricks. They never show any power gains if done independently.

I hear what you're saying and it makes sense, but I've honestly never had an issue running them over the years. Never had any oily residue on the MAF let alone any issues at all
Old 07-20-2017, 10:37 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I've honestly never had an issue running them over the years. Never had any oily residue on the MAF let alone any issues at all
If you have a stock tune, they will eventually catch up with you. The evil cannot be escaped...

Originally Posted by bleepster
does anyone make an aftermarket replacement filter like this:
K&N RP-5105 Universal Air Filter - Carbon Fiber Top and Base

K&N wants $130 - yikes. Spectre doesnt seem to make one. any other cheaper alternatives?
If you search google for "car air filter dimensions" you should get some resources from other filter manufacturers (like K&N) has, which will allow you to find filters for custom applications.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

I ruined my KN .....yes to MUCH water pressure while cleaning WILL tear the cotton element

I am looking for a replacement too

this KN p/n is a universal part and not a direct drop in it looks like for the f body kit....missing the front threaded hole and rear temp sensor hole
Old 07-21-2017, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

best I could find was $114 on newegg.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

in the pic in the first post, there is a threaded hole in the front.
i cant find any pics for the back, but since its a K&N,
i'd assume it would have the hole in the back for the temp sens.

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
I ruined my KN .....yes to MUCH water pressure while cleaning WILL tear the cotton element

I am looking for a replacement too

this KN p/n is a universal part and not a direct drop in it looks like for the f body kit....missing the front threaded hole and rear temp sensor hole

Quick Reply: K&N Air Filter - question