New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thinking of getting headers and Cutouts

Old 07-24-2017, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thinking of getting headers and Cutouts

took my car to the track for the first time this past weekend. I have only had the car for about a month and it is basicly stock other than SLP lid, MSD wires and Magnaflow muffler.
car ran its best pass at 14.150
had comments from some that it was the quietest Camaro there.
so cant have that. I have plans to put 1-7/8 Speed Engineering long tubes, Speed Engineering ORY pipe and SLP loudmouth cat back.
im also thinking of putting in some type of cutout in it. I have seen the Electric cutouts and like the idea but seem to be a big bunch of money for the gain of just being able to flip a switch to open the headers up.
don't street race here and only able to go to the track from time to time since I have a wedding coming up I got to watch what money I hide away for car parts.
is it worth putting a set of cutouts in in your guys opinions.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

14.1?
What transmission?
What was your 60ft time and your trap speed?
Assuming you are in good altitude and not on top of mountains you ideally should be able to run low low 13s @ 105+mph.

You will regret doing the LM1 with no cats and LT headers, your ears will be ringing anytime you drive the car...
And adding a cutout to that setup would be pointless as the LM1 is basically a strait pipe with a little resonator on it, so the sound and volume will have very little change to it.
Do the LT headers and ORY (you will need a tune so save up for this) and keep the magnaflow and then put a cutout on the I-pipe right before it goes over the axle. This way if you want to be quiet for highway cruising keep the cutout closed and then open it up whenever you want to be louder. You will only gain a few hp from this on a basic bolt-on car (you will gain more with something like a H/C/I setup as that requires more exhaust flow than stock) so if you are looking strictly for power then you can skip it, however its a very very fun mod to have IMO.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

No need to do "cutouts" just a single cutout will do the trick
Old 07-25-2017, 05:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

A single like said above will be just fine. Here is my setup.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Loudmouth sounds gets old very very quick.

If you don't mind loud all the time.
True dual exhaust is very cheap for fbodies now.
Old 07-26-2017, 04:54 AM
On The Tree

here are the slip times from my 2 fastest passes from the other night

still new to racing so not totally clear on trap times and what they mean so heres the info from the slip

and the car is an A/T trans

reaction...1879
1/8 et..9.3572
1/8 mph..78.91
1/4 et..14.150
1/4mph..94.500

reaction...5042
1/8 et..9.5812
1/8mph..78.14
1/4 et...14.3659
1/4mph..97.21
Old 07-26-2017, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

that doesn't look right at all, the 2nd run has a worse sixty footer but higher trap speed by 2.5 mph and still ran slower? are you manually shifting the auto or leaving it in D? what track was this at?
Old 07-26-2017, 07:59 AM
On The Tree

just put it in D.
im still learning some also on the track. my first run was terrible. red light. let off before 1/4 mile mark. didn't take traction control off.

I felt like the 3rd pass which was the 14.3 pass was strong till I saw the numbers.

the track was Ozark Raceway park in Rogersville MO.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

did you let off on all 3 passes?
Old 07-26-2017, 08:32 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

As a novice your best bet is to leave the exhaust system stock. untouched. There are many other things you can focus on instead. Making it loud will not make it fast.

power != noise

cut-out devices are notoriously difficult to manage, tend to require repair/maintenance and even replacement on a regular basis if you daily drive the vehicle. Its fine for people who enjoy that sort of thing (going and looking under the car all the time for stuff to fix) but for a novice it will be an enormous, additional burden.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fst100
did you let off on all 3 passes?

I do not think I let off on those two passes no
Old 07-26-2017, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

wow after going down and reading some of the track times that guys have posted in the drag racing section you all are right there is something off with this thing.
I need to get back to the track and do some more passes
Old 07-26-2017, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kingtal0n
As a novice your best bet is to leave the exhaust system stock. untouched. There are many other things you can focus on instead. Making it loud will not make it fast.

power != noise
What. The ****. Are you talking about.

Headers + ORY is one of the first mods nearly every owner of these cars does, and it, dyno and time sheet proven adds over 20HP to the wheels.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

power != noise

cut-out devices are notoriously difficult to manage, tend to require repair/maintenance and even replacement on a regular basis if you daily drive the vehicle. Its fine for people who enjoy that sort of thing (going and looking under the car all the time for stuff to fix) but for a novice it will be an enormous, additional burden.

I appreciate the advise brother but I can assure you I am no novice to a car. to racing yes as far as the driving goes but I have been into cars for some time. this is just my first mix-up with a FI car of my own. everything else was all carb stuff that I messed around with.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeDowning
just put it in D.
im still learning some also on the track. my first run was terrible. red light. let off before 1/4 mile mark. didn't take traction control off.

I felt like the 3rd pass which was the 14.3 pass was strong till I saw the numbers.

the track was Ozark Raceway park in Rogersville MO.
Sweet you're kind local to me, ever been to gateway or is that too far off?
What was the temperature like when you ran, super humid and hot? Did the car feel like it was heat soaked?
If you are close by I will gladly hookup my scanner to your car and take a look at some stuff.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Sweet you're kind local to me, ever been to gateway or is that too far off?
What was the temperature like when you ran, super humid and hot? Did the car feel like it was heat soaked?
If you are close by I will gladly hookup my scanner to your car and take a look at some stuff.

im an hour west of STL. I live in Cuba MO right off I-44
we got to gateway some to watch. haven't been up there yet to race. we are hoping to get up there so I can run the car some more in the next month or so if we can swing it.
I would love to have someone check the car out that would be great. just want to get it running to its potential for what I have now.
when we raced Rogersville last weekend it was pretty warm and humid. Mid 80s
Old 07-27-2017, 06:45 AM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If you made a list of everything one could do to a car to improve it somehow- economy, performance, comfort, maintenance. I would put exhaust near the last item, along with wheels, paint, body work, hid retrofit, cosmetics.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:14 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by LukeDowning
wow after going down and reading some of the track times that guys have posted in the drag racing section you all are right there is something off with this thing.
I need to get back to the track and do some more passes
Your 2.3 60' times are a big problem. You should be able to hit a ~2.0 with a little help from some good tires.

Ignore kingtal0n, he's the village idiot.
Old 07-27-2017, 10:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JoeNova
Your 2.3 60' times are a big problem. You should be able to hit a ~2.0 with a little help from some good tires.

Ignore kingtal0n, he's the village idiot.

im planning on going back to the track just a different one on the 11th to run the car again
the last time it didn't feel like the car was spinning off the line
was leaving off footbrake about 1500
car has 285/35/18 Nitto 555 on the back
Old 07-27-2017, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you made a list of everything one could do to a car to improve it somehow- economy, performance, comfort, maintenance. I would put exhaust near the last item, along with wheels, paint, body work, hid retrofit, cosmetics.
And you would be objectively and factually wrong. The F-body LS1 benefits greatly from stock manifold/y-pipe/catback -> long headers/ORY/after market catback(or cut out.) Especially when tuned for the new flow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: thinking of getting headers and Cutouts