Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

C16 or Meth Injection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 496 Likes on 383 Posts

Default C16 or Meth Injection?

Hey fellas, I'm currently planning an upgrade and would like some input on the topic for guidance.
I'm installing a Gen IV 5.3 over the winter with the anticipation of running 14-16 lbs. on pump gas but what I'd like to do is run a boost controller with a scramble feature to add in an additional 3-4 lbs. at the hit of a button in the event of a close race.
I'm very hesitant to use a meth kit simply because I know three guys locally who have had them fail and lost an engine.
I'm seriously debating having a pump gas tune for 14 lbs. and less and having a C16 tune for 16 lbs. and 20 lbs. with the scramble button depressed.
I've got no issues draining and filling the tank plus I wouldn't have the additional expense of a quality meth system.
E85 isn't an option as well since there are no local fuel stations that support it.
Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Why not just run 20psi all the time on race gas?
Old 08-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

If you're going to run C16, just keep the boost turned up.

If they had failed engines from failed meth injection, then they did something wrong. There are more than enough ways even with the stock ECU to prevent that from happening.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If C16 is an option, go with it. Throw the meth kit in the trash.

Can and will make more power on C (and especially Q) over pump/meth. Much more predictable than trying to guess with the mix of the fuel during the changing times of the year.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by svslow
Why not just run 20psi all the time on race gas?
This car is street car first and for most, I like being able to fill up anywhere and not be limited by specific fuel needs.
The C16 option will be for pre-planned trips to Mexico when the kill setting is needed lol.

Originally Posted by JoeNova
If you're going to run C16, just keep the boost turned up.

If they had failed engines from failed meth injection, then they did something wrong. There are more than enough ways even with the stock ECU to prevent that from happening.
I'm interested in hearing about some of these fail safes, its the only way I'd consider running a meth kit is if there was a safety net for failure.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by a05c
If C16 is an option, go with it. Throw the meth kit in the trash.

Can and will make more power on C (and especially Q) over pump/meth. Much more predictable than trying to guess with the mix of the fuel during the changing times of the year.
I'm not overly concerned with making maximum power, the car is only on 12 lbs. right now and runs very hard.
I'm almost certain I won't be able to run 20 lbs. on pump alone w/ 9.5:1 compression so I need to determine which will work better as well as be the most reliable and cost effective solution.
It stands to reason that if C16 is required at say 16 lbs. then I might as well have the ability to punch it up to 20 lbs. if I'm behind by a car length or so.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

"hen I might as well have the ability to punch it up to 20 lbs. if I'm behind by a car length or so." Racing for a mile???
Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Tuned properly a meth kit is a great option. Love my alky control kit. Been on my car for over 5 years. Even if you use the C16 I'd still keep the meth kit on the car when running pump gas.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How about pump with a large double nozzle 100% meth
Old 08-15-2017, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
"hen I might as well have the ability to punch it up to 20 lbs. if I'm behind by a car length or so." Racing for a mile???
Nope, just to the top of 4th gear.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
Tuned properly a meth kit is a great option. Love my alky control kit. Been on my car for over 5 years. Even if you use the C16 I'd still keep the meth kit on the car when running pump gas.
I either want to use meth and pump or C16 only, I don't want all three.
I'm currently at 12 lbs. with 9.75:1 so I'm hoping I can get to maybe 14 lbs. with pump only but if not its okay.
Hence why I was thinking C16 for the race tune with 16 lbs. and 20 lbs. on the button or pump gas and 100% meth.
Does this sound outlandish or unnecessary?
The Alky Control kit looks very nice, I see it comes with a float level switch, can that be piggy backed into the boost controller as a safe guard?
Also is there a boost controller that can cut boost in the event of a lean condition should the meth not be spraying and/or low fluid level condition?
Old 08-15-2017, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by roastin240
How about pump with a large double nozzle 100% meth
I know very little about meth injection as well.
I'm old school hot rodder lol.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by The ******
This car is street car first and for most, I like being able to fill up anywhere and not be limited by specific fuel needs.
The C16 option will be for pre-planned trips to Mexico when the kill setting is needed lol.

I'm interested in hearing about some of these fail safes, its the only way I'd consider running a meth kit is if there was a safety net for failure.
Meth artificially lowers IAT by a significant amount. With a fast acting sensor, you can have timing immediately pulled if the meth quits spraying. This isn't 100% foolproof, but is usually effective enough to save a motor. There are many more complicated ways of reducing risk, but they tend to require more effort.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Restricted User

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Meth artificially lowers IAT by a significant amount. With a fast acting sensor, you can have timing immediately pulled if the meth quits spraying. This isn't 100% foolproof, but is usually effective enough to save a motor. There are many more complicated ways of reducing risk, but they tend to require more effort.
Bingo. Spray before the IAT sensor. My IATs have never been over 100 degrees with water/meth on. I have it pull 8 degrees of timing if IATs are over 100 and above 100 kpa. It falls on its face if the meth shuts off or runs out.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

**** a boost scramble run that **** on 116 and 20psi if you need a little extra spray a little bit of that giggle juice and off you go. You'd be on 116 so you don't even need to worry about a stand alone if your fuel system is up for it. The idea behind boost scramble is you set it to a higher than safe setting where it runs the risk of being a little too hot of a set up and you risk damage. Unless you are legit down tuning your car just for that feature which would be silly.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:25 PM
Launching!

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

c16 gets expensive real quick if you're throwing $100+ into the tank to go out for the night... a few of those and you would have paid for a real nice meth set up. meth is cheap $37/5gal. most meth injection controllers will have a fail safe, if you're running an electric boost controller get one that has an input for it, had pretty good luck with turbosmart
i use an aquamist system on my daily 4 banger, single 500cc jet (about 25% of my total injector) you'd need 2 or 3 larger injectors, or set up direct port. the controller i use is probably a little overkill for what you're trying to do but i wanted it to ramp up with idc (its direct injected), you can set bias towards idc or map, failsafe is set up to open waste gate (electronically)
Old 08-16-2017, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

So I'm currently running a typhoon style thread in IAT sensor and from what I researched its a fast acting sensor, if not please correct me.
So if I was to do meth I could install the nozzle(s) upstream of the IAT and combine the float level switch and have at least two safe guards.
I realize **** happens but I feel a lot better about having at least two backups.
So selecting the right meth kit and boost controller would be next.
Perhaps a boost controller with a ramp setting since putting down 700+ rwhp on a drag radial won't be easy especially with a suspension setup for handling.
Old 08-16-2017, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aem sells the failsafe wideband that can trigger an output based on afr. Your choice on what you wire it too, but could turn the boost controller off, kill power to the coils or something
Old 08-16-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Methanol injection will always be cheaper long term, but if you got the money for C16 go for it lol....

I am running the budget 280 dollar snow methanol injection kit and love it
Old 08-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why you would ever turn the meth off or take it off if you have it, even a single M15 probably drops IATs by like 20* at least

Quick Reply: C16 or Meth Injection?