Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New rear cv-joint from oem prop shaft available

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New rear cv-joint from oem prop shaft available

Hello fellas!

Some good news here, by chance we found a matching rear cv-joint of a BMW 7er Series...

Long story short, had again vibes somewhere in the rear at higher speed, did a lot of stuff new and harder bushings at my SRX diff swap in spring this year and hoped it comes from the prop shaft, bec we didnīt balanced him new after the middle bearing swap...

So again i went to my balancing shop i trust in expectation to find the culprit and get rid of by new balancing... so the theory...

They checked the rear cv-joint and found a little play only in the installed position from the car, so balancing with a damaged joint is worthless and we talked about alternatives and i know the measurements and count of the spline, so they went to their warehouse and comes back with a matching BMW cv-Joint... booom...

Here it is:

Manufacturer is also GKN Germany, like the whole shaft, but only sold by BMW dealers themselves they told me there and i paid 200 for it...

Hope this helps the community a little bit to keep their shaft long time running and not to look at expensive one piece shafts...

Greetz
Ron
Old 09-24-2017, 03:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Interesting find! Doing a little searching on that part number, this site shows it's from an E53 chassis X5 (1999-2006). This site shows the E53 X5 and the E65 7-series (2001-2008).

Here's a Febest version for $45 -
Amazon Amazon
. That's about 1/4 what the OEM runs; nice price, but not sure I'd trust a CV joint that's that much cheaper.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you know how long I've been hunting a replacement rear CV. I knew gkn couldn't have used the Ctsv join for one platform. But could never get info from them and all the vehicles I checked joints on were always different internal spline..

So this joint is the same spline as the V?
Old 09-24-2017, 05:06 PM
TECH Resident

I bought the last one in that Amazon link. Gonna check it out. I have some shafts to test it on.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Great job choppy! Excited to hear results from voodoo
Old 09-25-2017, 12:50 AM
TECH Regular

Yes Vodoo, i'm sure it fits, this time i was by the Professionals in their shop, the only thing they do since 50 yrs is driveshafts and prop shafts welding and balancing, will post vids from balancing my shaft next time...

They are not that stupid *** monkeys like i was before 2 yrs ago and the only thing they do, was shipload of crap to me, but big hands to welcome my money...

They tried to fit a Touareg cv-joint in the rear, but wont work bec of wrong diameter and spline, this time it fits, i was near by when they used the caliper and count the splices...

And yes, i also cant believe, that a $45 will do the same job as a $200 piece...

It takes maybe 2 weeks until my car is back on the street, some parts more are under construction this time, then i will report about the results, think Vodoo is faster then me...

Greetz
Ron
Old 09-27-2017, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

I got the joint in hand. It does fit.. the V inspection cover also fits. I haven't confirmed if the stock boot fits but the joint comes with a boot. It's the febest $44 unit and it feels stout.. looks like it should work. The one thing I noticed is the finishing touches like edges and cutouts are not as cleanly finished.
Old 09-27-2017, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

These are great news, i hope it will help you in your business here and other users to keep the car running longer then expected and good luck with the cheap joint...

Greetz​​​​​​
Ron
Old 09-27-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

The price makes me nervous for quality. However!! It appears to be made in Germany. Not China.
Old 09-30-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

PFA, professionals at work:

Greetz
Ron
Old 09-30-2017, 05:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

nice! thanks for posting!
Old 10-22-2017, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Any updates?
Old 10-22-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

Awesome video! ...but next time turn the camera sideways (landscape).
Old 10-23-2017, 06:51 AM
TECH Regular

Sry, still installing my uca bushing rear end, installed them, then look to the outer ones, see a gap of 3mm, now again pull them out and made some new for perfect fitment, wtf damn bitches...

Maybe next week results on working rear BMW cv-joint...

Greetz
Ron
Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks choppy! Been on the edge of my leather and suede seat since this thread popped up
Old 11-12-2017, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

So, some bads news here, the reason why a canīt put in a report of drivin with the new rear cv-joint is maybe the reason why iīm havin vibes and only but issues since 2 yrs now with my used buyed prop-shaft, he has a bad run out about 4mm off center on middle bearing:

Then i tried the forward piece of my damaged origin prop-shaft with dial gauge and it resulted in only the half run out of center about 2mm:

When i see these marks here, added by a hammer, it doesnīt surprises me, that there is a run out of center on this shaft:

Here is the result of this, only a "small" bent of centric hub:

What i have done for a proper result, checked output flange from trans and made 3 absolutely identical spacers in length to exclude every mistake and find the real culprit in the system:

Now iīm in negotiation with the balance shop, why they didnīt recognized the bent centric hub or the smashed surface on the flange and why it didnīt caused anything on their balncing machine, maybe a different way, the put it on their machine like i did on the car, but canīt imagine this, we will see, at the end of negotiation...

Greetz
Ron
Old 11-12-2017, 03:04 PM
TECH Resident

Did this hammer marks get on there when servicing the shaft? We have had some that need pressed apart and back together, I can imagine someone without proper rigging, using a big hammer to pound the hafts back together.. I'm glad you are checking the things we talked about and finding result!!! Anxious to see the results when you get this thing straightened out completely!!
Old 11-13-2017, 10:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
How did your tranny output flange check out? The one that is on my car is not flat. I have a spare transmission, and the flange on that one is flat - I need to swap them out at some point, then see if that takes care of the vibration I was getting when I installed the VDC driveshaft.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:05 PM
TECH Regular

@Matt: The balance shop told me today, they made the marks in there while changing the inner part of the centric tube, itīs a Mercedes part, rubber with metal sleeve in there, payed 30 bucks and itīs the second, other would be worn out they told me, next step is swappin to a solid POM (Delrin) sleeve in this application, will try to have a run out about zero, flanges to inner centric hub...

@Pat: Yes, it was flat, near zero, but difficult to measure with a dial gauge, for sure...

Some more vidīs after calibrating the centric tube and new run out, but not the final result, need a second stationary steady rest for proper measuring and turning the hole basis fit on POM insert...

Greetz
Ron
Old 11-19-2017, 07:06 AM
TECH Regular

Some steps ahead now, first i pulled that shitty centric tube outta shaft:

Then made a new one, more solid of ss with a POM insert in them:

Then put them back on lathe for aligning, measuring and machining:

Last chapter might be installing it, check new runout on middle bearing and hopefully last visit in balancing shop and a damn ******* culprit less on my car...

Greetz
Ron
The following users liked this post:
CTSM (06-06-2020)

Quick Reply: New rear cv-joint from oem prop shaft available