Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Severe vibration at 65+

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 06:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Severe vibration at 65+

2000 M6 Camaro SS.

Upper and lower control arms, shocks, springs, rotors and brake pads have all been replaced in the last 6 months.

There was a pretty noticable but not terrible vibration while driving before some suspension work was done, and it was much less noticable afterwards. Car sat for two days, started fine and drove fine. Got on the highway to head to work this morning and as soon as I got to 70, it was vibrating like I was on a constant run of those sound strips on the road, but way deeper and more violent. The skin on the back of my head was shaking and I had to readjust my glasses several times before I got off the highway.

I need to know what to do next, I need this problem fixed asap. Tie rods? Motor mounts? The transmission mounts were replaced less than two years back.

Possibly related but occurring as the same time; anything lit by electricity in the car flickers differently at different rpms or acceleration, stops when I have a decent speed going.
Also have a new radiator and water pump in, less than a month on both, and my temp gauge creeps if it's over 70 outside. Cooler mornings are no problem. Splitter underneath has been off the car for years, but I'm putting it back on.

Any advise or help I can get would be appreciated.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 AM
Teching In

Default Tires

Check your tires for ware if in good condition take it to see if there still balanced. That's where I'd start.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Tread is good... I'm just not sure how the balance would go from driveable to terrifying from two days of no use. But I'm not ruling anything out, the balance hasn't been checked for a while.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Have you read and searched the other threads on vibration?

A tire balance issue typically "turns on" in the high 50's or the 60's and then "turns off" in the 70's.

Things like bad driveline components, etc. can escalate and get worse with speed.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

like others said, check if the weights on all of the rims look like they lost their stickiness. some of the added weights to balance the rim/tire looks like small squares the size of nickels. also check if possibly your driveshaft lost its weight on it maybe?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 140 Likes on 113 Posts

This one comes up so often it should have its own sticky. The two most common sources are driveline component misalignment and wheel balance issues.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

What happens if you pop the clutch in when it's vibrating?
Old 11-23-2017, 04:03 PM
Teching In

The major vibration is gone after a wheel balance, alignment and rotation. It was better when the outside temp rose a bit, too.
there's still a very minor vibration at higher speeds that I'm chasing down. I'll be checking on all the tips so far, so thank you very much for all of them.
as for popping the clutch, I haven't tried.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SRberner
The major vibration is gone after a wheel balance, alignment and rotation. It was better when the outside temp rose a bit, too.
there's still a very minor vibration at higher speeds that I'm chasing down. I'll be checking on all the tips so far, so thank you very much for all of them.
as for popping the clutch, I haven't tried.
The reason that I mentioned popping in the clutch is that it disconnects the clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing/bushing/engine. I have a vibration in my `79 Firebird that comes and goes and when I push in my clutch it goes away completely which rules out the wheels/tires ....etc.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:06 AM
Staging Lane

Call me crazy but sit in your car in neutral and with the parking brake up and slowly rev the engine and see if you get a hard violent vibration, if you feel it sitting still then maybe your Harmonic Balancer is worn out, my car did it to me I did all the suspension work I could, new wheels, and tires, and alignment still at 65mph 3k rpms the hood shook so hard it scared me to drive or really get on it, I had it replaced with an ATI 10% underdrive and since then no more annoying vibration and when I look at my oem balancer I can see that the inner rubber is all cracked and dry rotted and thats what sent the vibration through out my whole car, good luck hope this helps
Old 12-15-2017, 11:12 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this same issue but around 70-80mph. It gets worse when the speed is increased and it feels like Im riding an old school Harley it gets so bad. Cars set up for the winter and I'm going to be pulling the rear end out to clean and paint it. I have checked DL Pinion Angle plenty of times and it is correct. So, Im going to have the DS Balanced and replace the U-Joints even thought they feel fine when I checked them. I hope that alleviates the issue

EDIT: Wheel balancing is not the issue on my car. Just put new rubber on them and double checked it before putting the wheels back on
Old 12-15-2017, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bring your speed up to 80 and pop the clutch IN or put it in neutral. If the vibration goes away you can rule out drive shaft/u-joints/rear ... tires/rotors ...etc.
Old 12-15-2017, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Are you sure it's not your trailer?

Quick Reply: Severe vibration at 65+