Old 12-07-2017, 06:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Can this Bernzomatic Torch heat 3/8” aluminum square tubing for bending

Can this Bernzomatic Torch heat 3/8” aluminum square tubing for bending

I have two pieces of straight 3/8” aluminum square tubing 3’ long that
Need it bent into a 90* .

My first attempt was to cut 2 pizzas out then bend see illustration
Aluminum did bend a litte cold but neither pizza was closed.

I think if each pizza is 45* X 2=90* correct

I would like to brase w/ aluminum maybe the Bernzomatic will be used?

also plastic welding is in my near furture

Amazon Amazon
fuild
Amazon Amazon
Attached Thumbnails -pizza.png  

Last edited by badmfkr; 12-07-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From personal experience it gets hot enough to help for sure. Aluminum doesn't really show a different color with heat so you have to be careful. The other thing you have to watch it's depending on what grade aluminum it is it won't like real sharp bends. When I bend 1" wide 1/8" thick aluminum 6061 straps the tightest radius corner I can keep without stress cracking is bending it around 1/4" round stock. Any wider than 1" I bend it around 3/8" round stock. Since you trying to pie cut it I assume it doesn't need to be a sharp 90 degree so why not just try bending it? I would think you could even bend that with a 1/2" conduit bender possibly.
Old 12-07-2017, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

update on fabing or trying to fab.

when I say 3/8" square tubing well that's only 2 sides of tube the other 2 sides are like tad more than 1/4".

unsure as fore quality of aluminum seams heavey for aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails -surport1.jpg   -surport2.jpg  
Old 12-07-2017, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Well you know what doesn't work. Now to find something that does. You also know now that you only need half the angle you figured to start with. What I would try next if just cutting the pieces and welding isn't an option. Either drill 1/8" hole or slightly larger at the point of you pie piece you going to cut out. That will allow it to have more of a radius where your bending it instead of the sharp point you tried. Another thing to possibly try is cut your pie piece out the take a flat file on edge and file down in the point of the pie cut out so you have a nice squared opening on the bottom to allow for more of a radius in the bend. Fab'n stuff up is fun and there always lots to learn.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Try a MAP torch. Its hottoer.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367

Not much. Mapp isn't Mapp gas anymore. It's now Mapp-Pro
MAP-Pro gas burns at a temperature of 3,730 degrees Fahrenheit, while propane burns at 3,600 F
Old 12-15-2017, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
ditto

Have you tried the Harbor Freight aluminum welding rods in lieu of using a tig or mig welder.

Prepping the aluminum (cleaning with uncontaminated wire brush) is critical in order to get a good weld.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

my stuff will be under stress.
1.is brazing actually as strong as welding?

my next plan fortube #1 is to cut in half the 2 allready small cutout pizzas for a tight fit.

then either braze myself or back to professional welder (this will be the 4th project being welded didn't factor in asscoiated costs.

I will try the benuburn and harbor frieght braze rods $15.+tax Lowes has a 2 pack of 1/8 for $4.

the back sides of tubes will have a 1/16" sheet of aluminum expoxied then revitoed together.

I will wrape the remaining 3 sides .
2. can thin aluimun be heated the streched (I have hammered into shape a few brackets w/ this sheet alu. seams like it will allow a 90* bent any more alu. cracks maybe heating will lessen the stress at these bends?

edit I am building a boat rear dive deck/platform/kicker engine bracket.

basicalley a aluminum box w/ these two tubes being surport, I design this box to be
though hull bolted on top and revitoed to lower transome.

additionally this box will be filled w/ poured in floatation foam.

Last edited by badmfkr; 12-17-2017 at 06:03 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
ditto

Prepping the aluminum (cleaning with uncontaminated wire brush) is critical in order to get a good weld.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtvOkI_pvMI
yes I grind the stuff I fab up w/ a flap wheel prior to carrying to the welder.

I have many smaller aluimin projects plan which a blazer will make look factory.
I know how to soilder so blazing looks about the same.

curious how many minutes ran at full heat will the benuburn fuel last for?
brazing myself and it's associated material cost will have to be compared to the welder his includes the materials.

I do know a man that can weld steel in his backyard shop not sure how good he is w/ ALu.

I've been doing the majority of my fab work at my friends backyard shop
he had a very nice steel shop bench w/ a 1930s model vice he explained
this old vices can't be improved.

I recently built a new work bench and am anixous to get to fabbing and paying back the ******* neibors w/ the grinder noise.

I have been messing w/ alm. boats for years and am learning how to work w/ alm. as I go from actuale experience to stuff I read/ observe.

I'm a not a metal fabricater just a hobbyisthttps://www.walmart.com/ip/10-20Pcs-Low-Temperature-Aluminum-Welding-Soldering-Brazing-Repair-Rods-3-2mmx230mm/506475068?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=15511& adid=22222222227125554845&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=234 607704169&wl4=pla-385601420854&wl5=9012826&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=118786637&wl11=online&wl12=506475068&wl13=&veh= sem

Last edited by badmfkr; 12-17-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by badmfkr
yes I grind the stuff I fab up w/ a flap wheel prior to carrying to the welder.

I have many smaller aluimin projects plan which a blazer will make look factory.
I know how to soilder so blazing looks about the same.

curious how many minutes ran at full heat will the benuburn fuel last for?
brazing myself and it's associated material cost will have to be compared to the welder his includes the materials.

I do know a man that can weld steel in his backyard shop not sure how good he is w/ ALu.

I've been doing the majority of my fab work at my friends backyard shop
he had a very nice steel shop bench w/ a 1930s model vice he explained
this old vices can't be improved.

I recently built a new work bench and am anixous to get to fabbing and paying back the ******* neibors w/ the grinder noise.

I have been messing w/ alm. boats for years and am learning how to work w/ alm. as I go from actuale experience to stuff I read/ observe.

I'm a not a metal fabricater just a hobbyisthttps://www.walmart.com/ip/10-20Pcs-Low-Temperature-Aluminum-Welding-Soldering-Brazing-Repair-Rods-3-2mmx230mm/506475068?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=15511& adid=22222222227125554845&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=234 607704169&wl4=pla-385601420854&wl5=9012826&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=118786637&wl11=online&wl12=506475068&wl13=&veh= sem
What ever you use to clean aluminum should dedicated solely to aluminum. A wire brush for example - don't use it for anything else. Steel wool, sandpaper, etc - same rule.

If you don't you will contaminate the surface of the aluminum.

I have gotten at least 20 minutes out of one bottle of map gas - still a lot left in the bottle ($14 I recall).

Aluminum welding (tig) where I go costs about $125 per hour. To weld a bung on my charge pipe cost $30. So the price is actually higher if the job takes less than an hour. IMO you can buy a lot of bottles of MAP gas for $125.

The point is - you can buy materials and equipment and sometimes be money ahead. It depends upon how good the welds have to be.

I am learning how to mig weld. The welds aren't pretty but they hold. That said I would never sell my welding because it might break. If they break for me, that's on me and I can weld it again. Customers on the other hand expect good results if they have to pay.

This winter I am going to try to weld all of the aluminum charge pipes on my FMIC system (Procharger). However, instead of using my Miller Mig with a spoolgun, I am going to try the method in the link in a previous post.

HTH - good luck with your project.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
What ever you use to clean aluminum should dedicated solely to aluminum. A wire brush for example - don't use it for anything else. Steel wool, sandpaper, etc - same rule.

If you don't you will contaminate the surface of the aluminum.
very good tip here the majority of my metal projects is Aluminum however I use my flapwheels, cutoff wheels on all my metals which include alu/magmesium, stain steel and thick plastics

now I will designate disc. just for Aluiminum w/ lableA

I have gotten at least 20 minutes out of one bottle of map gas - still a lot left in the bottle ($14 I recall). how big of a flame is that? like the smaller the flame the hotter it get's correct? also this reduces the fuel in container correct?

Aluminum welding (tig) where I go costs about $125 per hour. To weld a bung on my charge pipe cost $30. So the price is actually higher if the job takes less than an hour. IMO you can buy a lot of bottles of MAP gas for $125.

The point is - you can buy materials and equipment and sometimes be money ahead. It depends upon how good the welds have to be.

I am learning how to mig weld. The welds aren't pretty but they hold. That said I would never sell my welding because it might break. If they break for me, that's on me and I can weld it again. Customers on the other hand expect good results if they have to pay.

This winter I am going to try to weld all of the aluminum charge pipes on my FMIC system (Procharger). However, instead of using my Miller Mig with a spoolgun, I am going to try the method in the link in a previous post.

HTH - good luck with your project.
dam $30 for bung thats steep. buts sounds like the norm in alu. welding

yes what I do is design (firstly w/ images them use paint the document my stuff best I can.

then I hoppfully find my materials at the local scrape yard (they usalley don't sell to the public but if you ask nicely during the lunch time break they let you walk there yard I've saved alot of $ on scrape metal.

I did some research on Aluminum welders first by phone then in person (this in person was a joke I had my 2 pieces of metal fabbed marked where to weld. welding consisted of 25" X 4=100" of quicke from spool he wanted $150. I said thank you and bye.

my research lead me toward this man he was suposed to have a excellent reputation being in the alu. fab industrry and just opening his own shop I was polite when I said I'd like a couple other price quote.

I attach the first of many ongoing projects I have in various stages of completion. I thought $150 was a greedy price for 15 minutes of welding.

edit my mechanic friend told except to pay $150 for 100"

the other two where phone calls first man all he could say is I gotta look at it
that afther I explained 3 pieces welded into one and 25x4 inches of welding

anyway Guy 2 I feltlike I don't even want to wastse my time meeting.

now the thrid Guy was like Goldiedlocks just laid back enought he also wanted to look (but that wasn;t all he would say like #2.

anyway Guy #3 is the Man his shop is a old repainted building not one spec of dust anywhere there must be some German or swedish in Guy 3 because these are the cleanish folks I've ever know.
he charged me $60, maybe that was a initial introductory price but I've been back 3 times.

here's a image of some of my attempt at fabbing aluminum.
Attached Thumbnails -bracein-van.jpg   -bracebolted.jpg   -pod-welded2.jpg   -pre-paint.jpg  

Last edited by badmfkr; 12-18-2017 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I will reduce burring and smooth out the small pizza one pizza at a time, this will reduce gaps between pizza and tube.

edit the white plastic tray is my cutting board
Attached Thumbnails -surport-stage2.jpg   -surport-stage2-2.jpg  
Old 12-20-2017, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Buying your material from an actual metal supply place would probably help you out. First off the price per foot will a lot better vs what you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. They might say you have to buy a 21 foot stick or pay the cut charge etc, still a better product. See if you can talk to the guys in the back that run the cutters and see what they have in their drop pile, someone else has already paid to have it cut. Also they will have much better alloys suited for bending and structural needs.
Old 12-20-2017, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm fortunate in that I live in a city with a lot of aircraft mfg.

The salvage unused high grade aircraft aluminum is extremely cheap compared to Lowes and Home Depot. I don't know the exact rules, but a lot of it has to be scrapped or salvaged even though never put thru a cnc machine.

Check cnc mfg places for scrap.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

yes I save $ at the scrape yard thats if I'm lucky finding reusable materails priced usalley $1. per LB they give$.50.
most of the time refurbished aluminum is flithy rarely they do get new metal but when they save for me).

I don't buy metal at Lowes I root around scrape metal yards like a pig roots around a field.plus if I ask anyone at lowes there for 3/8" alumunin sheet metal they would'nt know where or if it was in store.

there is only one aluminum fabricater in my area they do sell both aluminum/stainless steel.
I have bought a few pieces from there reusable scrape pile.

there stuff is cleaner, however there workshop was disgustingly dirty.and material are kindof pricie.

how doe's my pizza look?

maybe I can request price quot to have two tubes bent to my size

I need the tubes they are the first stage of project. can't just wait hope to get lucky finding at SY.

Last edited by badmfkr; 12-21-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Can this Bernzomatic Torch heat 3/8” aluminum square tubing for bending