Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Callies 3.825 Stroke Crankshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Callies 3.825 Stroke Crankshaft?

Hey guys,

Long story short, I recently purchased a motor that is said to have a Callies stroker crankshaft, that has a stroke of 3.825". Doing some research, I haven't found much about it. Google brings up older ad's/pages that list this crank for sale, but everything is old/deleted or unavailable.

My question to ya'll, is did Callies ever make a 3.825" stroker crank? Like my engine builder said, it's not much of a power gain over the stock crank. Most guys put a 4" stroke in their builds.
Is there any gain of using this crank?
If Callies did make this crank, why don't they make them anymore?
Are they known to fail?
Did they just not sell well/weren't very popular, etc?

When googled, I come up with Callies Dragonslayer crank. I was under the assumption that Dragonslayer is a totally different brand?

Help me out ya'll, thanks!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

There are a few levels of Callies cranks ranging from budget to expensive:
Compstar, Dragonslayer, Magnum, Magnum XL

Compstar is an overseas forging finish machine in America
Dragonslayer is a domestic forging with a better grade steel
A Magnum is basically a Dragonslayer that has been further machined on the counter weights and can be had in a lightweight version as well.

The 3.825" crank will have more journal overlap making it techically stronger than a 4" stroke. That would apply more to people running forced induction setups pushing well over 1500hp.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Hey Mark! I spoke to you prior about this motor, just trying to find out more details on it. I do appreciate your input! Do you know if Callies ever made a 3.825" stroke crankshaft? Like I told you before, I really just want a N/A LS3, but this motor sounded like a good deal.
Old 12-10-2017, 08:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Callies will make you any stroke you want on a custom order as will most other manufacturers. I know BTR and others sold those in the past.

For an n/a setup that crankshaft will work out great and will side load the pistons less as well. Depending upon the bore size you are losing 15-20ci with this stroke which isn't the end of the world. Some prefer it for higher RPM style racing over a 4" stroke.

Just run it with a killer set of heads/intake combo and don't even worry about it.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:47 PM
Teching In

The problem is the motor currently has a ls9 camshaft and diamond dish boost pistons. Compression ratio is 9.66:1. If I get new pistons, I'd still have to change out the cam right? Since the ls9 is a supercharged motor, that cam wouldn't work in a n/a setup right? I'm new to building motors, so all advice is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-11-2017, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

The cam WILL work, but there are better ones out there for what you want to do. Which heads are on the motor?
Old 12-11-2017, 12:42 AM
Teching In

The heads are stock ls3 heads with the rocker trunion upgrade. Thats it as far as I know. Heres the specs on the motor I purchased.
Here's the specs on the motor:

2008 Corvette LS3 Block
-399 cubic inch
-4.0705 bore
-3.825 stroke
-9.66:1 compression ratio
Callies Crank
Callies H Beam connecting rods
Custom Diamond Boost pistons
ZR1 LS9 camshaft
LS3 intake
LS3 heads
Trunion rocker arm upgrade
LS2 timing chain tensioner
ARP Main studs
ARP Head studs

I have a 97 vette, and really wanted a ls3. I bought this motor without really thinking/planning. I just replaced torque tube, trans, and clutch with stock components (clutch is ls7). Either way, my car can only handle roughly 500hp from what I gather. This motor as it is made 706hp with a twin turbo kit.

like I said, I wanted a ls3 really badly. Now I'm just looking to either convert it to n/a for as cheap as possible or sell it entirely. Just confirming parts first though.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:01 AM
TECH Regular

Pistons will be custom and $800 plus for a name brand to get the CR up.
Autotec makes some good stuff that's cheaper and not as well known.
But still take some power. They are done by the old original person that started JE pistons.

Callies made 2 cranks - a 3.8 marketed as a stock replacement style for trucks and was cast or a lower grade forged steel I forget which.
The 3.825 was forged 4340 but I forget which line it was in. Compstar or Dragonslayer.
AES was the big seller of these cranks on Tech before they went to crap. (AES)
look for the AES 395 cid kit posts and you find all the info on the cranks.

I'd sell it and save for a stocker or a known modified setup.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:53 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scholioso
Hey guys,

Long story short, I recently purchased a motor that is said to have a Callies stroker crankshaft, that has a stroke of 3.825". Doing some research, I haven't found much about it. Google brings up older ad's/pages that list this crank for sale, but everything is old/deleted or unavailable.

My question to ya'll, is did Callies ever make a 3.825" stroker crank? Like my engine builder said, it's not much of a power gain over the stock crank. Most guys put a 4" stroke in their builds.
Is there any gain of using this crank?
If Callies did make this crank, why don't they make them anymore?
Are they known to fail?
Did they just not sell well/weren't very popular, etc?

When googled, I come up with Callies Dragonslayer crank. I was under the assumption that Dragonslayer is a totally different brand?

Help me out ya'll, thanks!
Hey man....the Callies 3.825" crank is a common off the shelf crank that Callies makes. I have one in my 390ci and I bought mine direct from Callies. It was on the shelf unfinished when I called them and they finished it in 3 days and sent it out to my builder so they can put my 390ci together.

They are common, so they do run out of stock sometimes. Mine was the last one sitting on the shelf when I called. They didn't make a new run of them for another couple months.

Very strong....I'll be putting down over 1,000 RWHP with mine under boost soon.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Teching In

The last 2 posts with pictures I've tried to post, it says waiting on a moderator to approve post. It's been a few days and still nothing, so maybe a link will work? https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...roked-ls3.html

Look at the pictures in the link, you will see how the oil tolerances are all over the place.

Quick Reply: Callies 3.825 Stroke Crankshaft?