Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 clutch safety switch vs. clutch start position switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 clutch safety switch vs. clutch start position switch

Been trying to track down an intermittent starting issue. It will start fine somedays others I will have to try multiple times where I won't crank until after a while. Thought it was the vats but had it bypassed and still dose it. So I think it is the clutch position safely switch that's starting to go but have heard other speak of a clutch safely starter switch and woundering if they are the same thing. Also as of this past weekend on occasion the gates that keep you from shifting when the clutch isn't engaged is blocking me out while it's running is this possibly coming from the same issue? Thanks for any help in advance. Sorry if this is a dumb question this is my first standard car.
Old 01-19-2018, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

100+ views and no replies?
Old 01-20-2018, 06:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by camarosteve2k
100+ views and no replies?
if I'm understanding you correctly, you said that with the engine running you're having issues shifting into gear?

there are two switches related to the clutch, depending on equipped options. one is the neutral safety switch, which engages when you press the pedal all the way to the floor. This is used for starting. The other switch is related to the cruise control.

There are no gates that keep you from shifting if the pedal isn't depressed though. what it sounds like there is a hydraulic issue, where the clutch isn't fully disengaging from the flywheel.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
if I'm understanding you correctly, you said that with the engine running you're having issues shifting into gear?

there are two switches related to the clutch, depending on equipped options. one is the neutral safety switch, which engages when you press the pedal all the way to the floor. This is used for starting. The other switch is related to the cruise control.

There are no gates that keep you from shifting if the pedal isn't depressed though. what it sounds like there is a hydraulic issue, where the clutch isn't fully disengaging from the flywheel.
The shifting issue I believe was actually to do with the shift **** I was using
Old 04-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

So update on this old post. Changed the clutch safely switch, and still have the issue but have noticed that sometimes when I run the shifter back and forth it seems to help it start faster from time to time.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Larger purple wire on the passenger fender using a single pin Delphi MP250 connector. Connect an led light to for testing and mount it so you can see when you try to start. If you always see a the light when it starts and doesn't start it's the starter going bad. If you don't see the light when it won't start then you are looking at the right areas of the system.

Quick Reply: T56 clutch safety switch vs. clutch start position switch