Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build

I'm trying my luck at putting a turbo on this old dog I picked up about 6 months ago. I'm pretty new to the boost game, so any help would be appreciated!

I'm putting this on a small block 350 with th350 Trans. Patient is a 1974 Chevy Nova. I picked up a eBay turbo kit from a guy about an hour from me. Traded him a tool box for the kit.

Started with pulling my existing headers off and mocking up the turbo headers. Already we have problems!! Now I need to decide, do I give up on these shenanigans or do I continue my way down money pit lane.

Issues I had on drivers side was headers would not clear the steering gear box, not even close! And on the passenger side the downpipe hit the starter, which could have easily been fixed, but also had clearance issues with valve covers. Also would have had to move the alternator to be able to mount the turbo. So... more work than I wanted to deal with.

So stupid me, I chose to pass go and head directly to money pit lane, lol.

My thoughts are, I will surely end up blowing the 350 to pieces, then that will give me a good reason to LS swap this old dog.

So I ended up ordering some forward facing headers, which are great quality and will do exactly what I need!

I got those installed this weekend, and also removed my inner fenders to gain some more clearance for my hot side.

The intercooler that came with the kit is a little on the big side, and will probably require cutting up the front bumper to get it to fit. I really don't want to do that though! Does anyone have an idea on a semi cheap intercooler that will fit better between the bumper and radiator support?

This is how the car looked when I purchased it this summer. And how it looks currently.
Attached Thumbnails Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build-20170711_193531.jpg   Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build-20170711_193549.jpg   Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build-20170929_182704.jpg   Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build-20170823_190828.jpg   Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build-20170821_125632.jpg  

Last edited by onesloGTO; 01-21-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Launching!

Put the new headers on today. Also removed the inner fenders.
Attached Thumbnails Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build-20180119_181859.jpg   Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build-20180121_153503.jpg   Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build-20171217_151115.jpg  

Last edited by onesloGTO; 01-21-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what' the details on lower end of 350? sbc's stock blocks don' take nearly the boost a ls based motor will.
honestly I'd sell the sbc while its' still good and get a junkyard LS and you will be ahead of the game.....
Old 01-21-2018, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jasonsnova
what' the details on lower end of 350? sbc's stock blocks don' take nearly the boost a ls based motor will.
honestly I'd sell the sbc while its' still good and get a junkyard LS and you will be ahead of the game.....
I'm honestly unsure. The guy I bought it from couldn't tell me much. He said it had $5k in the engine, but I highly doubt that.

What do you think I could get out of it? What does an LS run?

Keeping this as cheap as possible so didn't really want to buy another engine and have to fully build it too.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 117 Likes on 98 Posts

Plenty of well built badass Novas around here. What are your goals? That would help determine what to recommend. I'd say for a goal over about 450whp on a cast bottom end SBC, go LS and save yourself time and money. Keep it cheap. Go LS, blow-through carb and MSD 6010 for ignition control. Keep the TH350 and be nice to it till you can upgrade to TH400 or 4L80E. If it's a forged bottom end and isn't high-compression, plod on and see what she can do. Good looking car btw!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
Plenty of well built badass Novas around here. What are your goals? That would help determine what to recommend. I'd say for a goal over about 450whp on a cast bottom end SBC, go LS and save yourself time and money. Keep it cheap. Go LS, blow-through carb and MSD 6010 for ignition control. Keep the TH350 and be nice to it till you can upgrade to TH400 or 4L80E. If it's a forged bottom end and isn't high-compression, plod on and see what she can do. Good looking car btw!
My goals aren't very high. I'd say 500 or less. I'd rather be putting money into my challenger and making it faster, lol.

I'm going to purchase a demon blow- through carb at some point towards the end of this build.

By all means I wouldn't mind selling this sbc, but no clue how to price it without pulling apart and seeing what it has for internals. More work than its worth in my opinion.

If I went LS id have to get a bunch of the other external parts to make it work, that all adds up.

Thanks, it's amazing what a little plasti dip can do for an old turd!
Old 01-21-2018, 10:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I've got a blow thru Holley gas carb
Old 01-21-2018, 10:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cwarta
I've got a blow thru Holley gas carb
For sale?
Old 01-21-2018, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Possibly yes, my dad was going to run it but just bought a 1050 dominator alcohol carb. Let me call him in the morning and ask if he still wants it
Old 01-21-2018, 10:39 PM
Launching!

Possibly yes, my dad was going to run it but just bought a 1050 dominator alcohol carb. Let me call him in the morning and ask if he still wants it
Sounds good buddy.
Old 01-22-2018, 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

Stay away from Demon. Barry Grant was out to lunch on some of the fuel circuits on mine. I'm getting close now, but wow what a joke.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Your motor has patriot aluminum heads, some type of after-market rockers and a big single plane intake. There is a decent chance the short block is decent. How does it feel right now?

I'm not trying to sway you from it but an LS swap isn't as cheap as a $300 junkyard motor like sometimes it seems. There are a lot of little things that add up. Plus you've got to get into a computer ans sensors etc. And if you aren't tuning yourself you're gonna spend big money right there. Around $600 bucks to buy tuner software if you DO know what you're doing.

There are a couple of guys on here that I have seen running a blow through setup. My vote is for you to keep what you have and be veeeery conservative tune wise. I'd invest in a wideband regardless of what motor you're going with.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Apache
Stay away from Demon. Barry Grant was out to lunch on some of the fuel circuits on mine. I'm getting close now, but wow what a joke.
So holley it is?
Old 01-22-2018, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Your motor has patriot aluminum heads, some type of after-market rockers and a big single plane intake. There is a decent chance the short block is decent. How does it feel right now?

I'm not trying to sway you from it but an LS swap isn't as cheap as a $300 junkyard motor like sometimes it seems. There are a lot of little things that add up. Plus you've got to get into a computer ans sensors etc. And if you aren't tuning yourself you're gonna spend big money right there. Around $600 bucks to buy tuner software if you DO know what you're doing.

There are a couple of guys on here that I have seen running a blow through setup. My vote is for you to keep what you have and be veeeery conservative tune wise. I'd invest in a wideband regardless of what motor you're going with.
Yeah it has some decent parts, just not sure on internals. It will almost pull the front wheels off the ground from a dig and mashing it to the floor.

Most of my knowledge is with the LS platform, as I've had several of them. One of them had a turbo on a 5.3 and 4.8

I know all that stuff gets expensive, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
We are pulling a 5.3 out of a 2011 Chevy at the shop with 85,000 miles on it, spit out a lifter and destroyed the cam. So going with a new engine. I thought about buying the core, but it's $600 and an aluminum block, which I dont want for boost.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Any pointers on a good fitting intercooler? Don't want to cut my bumper that bad.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by onesloGTO
Yeah it has some decent parts, just not sure on internals. It will almost pull the front wheels off the ground from a dig and mashing it to the floor.
Almost pulling the front wheels off the ground worries me. The only way I can see it having that kind of power out a small block is higher compression, That's not going to mesh well with boost. Not knowing what rotating assembly is would worry me, I've seen many stock parts fail at less than 8lbs of boost with a good tune.

As far as the decent parts, Patriot heads were cheap china heads that were a crap shoot, Some were fine out of the box and others needed work.
quite a few people bought them to put on stock short blocks because they were a cheaper way of getting compression up because of their small combustion chamber.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most of my knowledge is with the LS platform, as I've had several of them. One of them had a turbo on a 5.3 and 4.8

I know all that stuff gets expensive, which is what I'm trying to avoid.
We are pulling a 5.3 out of a 2011 Chevy at the shop with 85,000 miles on it, spit out a lifter and destroyed the cam. So going with a new engine. I thought about buying the core, but it's $600 and an aluminum block, which I dont want for boost.
Id buy it for that if its for sale
Old 01-22-2018, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Id buy it for that if its for sale
You want it?
Old 01-22-2018, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LLLosingit
Almost pulling the front wheels off the ground worries me. The only way I can see it having that kind of power out a small block is higher compression, That's not going to mesh well with boost. Not knowing what rotating assembly is would worry me, I've seen many stock parts fail at less than 8lbs of boost with a good tune.

As far as the decent parts, Patriot heads were cheap china heads that were a crap shoot, Some were fine out of the box and others needed work.
quite a few people bought them to put on stock short blocks because they were a cheaper way of getting compression up because of their small combustion chamber.
I ran a SBE SBC with small valve heads 1.94/1.60, they were dead stock other than hardened seats that were not even blended in, GM hydraulic cam like a 327/325hp or something, junk headers and a dual plane intake. It would pull the wheels in a 3050lb Ventura and ran 12.20's. It was an $800 turd engine. So I would not put too much faith in the wheel pulling thing as far as build goes.

So holley it is?
Holley or C&S. C&S could probably get you in the ballpark tuning wise quicker unless you're good with carbs.

Good luck! Looking forward to the outcome!
Old 01-22-2018, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

You want it?
What is it exactly?

Quick Reply: Nova 1.0 Turbo Budget Build