Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Adjustable Rear LCAs Necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adjustable Rear LCAs Necessary?

I know this question has likely been asked a bunch of times, but here I go anyways: is it worth it to buy adjustable rear lower control arms, or will fixed length be fine?

The usual answer that I saw in my search was "you usually don't need adjustable unless you're lowered quite a bit, but you might as well just in case". This is a fine answer and it makes sense, but I guess I'm hoping for some people with similar setups/mods to chime in with their experiences.

My setup is the following, 97 Trans Am WS6:
- Strano springs and Koni STR.T shocks
- stock rear end with 4.10 gears
- some type of non-adjustable upgraded torque arm (was on the car when I bought it)
- Spohn weld-in LCA relocation brackets (not yet installed)

Overall the car isn't lowered a lot, and the rear end isn't heavily modded. Anyone out there with a similar setup run into any issues with non-adjustable RLCA's?
Old 02-22-2018, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I ran both adj and non-adj LCA's on my lowered '97 SS. With my experience it was more important to have an adj PHB to center the rear than adj LCAs. Granted my car was just a street car that saw little track time.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

The adjustable lca's are needed more so when running a really tall tire and/or aftermarket rear end
Old 02-22-2018, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I ran both adj and non-adj LCA's on my lowered '97 SS. With my experience it was more important to have an adj PHB to center the rear than adj LCAs. Granted my car was just a street car that saw little track time.
Thanks, should have added to my list that I have an adjustable PHB. Mine is also a street car.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
The adjustable lca's are needed more so when running a really tall tire and/or aftermarket rear end
Thanks - I'm running stock size tires so that shouldn't be an issue.

I know adjustment is nice to have if you need it, but at the same time I don't want to spend twice as much on something to never use the adjustment.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by handyandy
Thanks - I'm running stock size tires so that shouldn't be an issue.

I know adjustment is nice to have if you need it, but at the same time I don't want to spend twice as much on something to never use the adjustment.
Yep I hear ya. For your setup there's no need for the adjustables
Old 02-22-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm lowered and wish that mine WEREN'T adjustable. However there was a certain type that I wanted and that was the only way they came. I put them on when I did my lowering springs and shocks. I did my best to get the new ones the same length as the old factory ones, what a **** show. I had to get them close and then adjust them on the car, measuring, adjusting, measuring, adjusting, measuring, adjusting.... and I still am not confident that they are all that close.

I'd run from adjustables unless there is a true need.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you guys, my non adjustable $100 umi poly lca's have served one hell of a great purpose....with the new tires and rear end and the direction this car has come it was time to go with adjustable lca's so I'm unfortunately saying good bye to my simple bolt in boys and I'll be adjusting and measuring my *** off all season im sure.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:00 AM
On The Tree

Thanks guys, that's good feedback I hadn't thought of. More adjustable parts just means another way for variation or movement to creep into the equation.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

You gonna install the relocation brackets at the same time?
Old 02-23-2018, 07:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If, after getting your car on an alignment rack, you notice that the "thrust angle" is significant, you can use a pair of adjustable LCAs to get it dialed back to "zero".
Old 02-23-2018, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
You gonna install the relocation brackets at the same time?
I would certainly recomend doing so. While you're down there, you know. I've got bolt on ones and am happy with them. I don't drag race though. Big power, sticky tires, I'd go weld on.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
I would certainly recomend doing so. While you're down there, you know. I've got bolt on ones and am happy with them. I don't drag race though. Big power, sticky tires, I'd go weld on.
Yep I have the bolt on ones too. I noticed he was lowered so that's why I asked. Definitely a good idea for him
Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

Yes I am going to install the brackets at the same time. The Spohn ones I got have one collared bolt that goes to the stock RLCA mounting location, and then it welds on to stop it from rotating (maybe this is how all the weld-on ones are). I was thinking I could bolt and clamp them in place and then measure, and if things were off I could shim the relocation bracket before welding it. Not sure if that makes sense or not.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 AM
TECH Addict

Not really following. I went with these bad boys...

https://www.foundersperformance.com/...tion-brackets/

...and think they are great. Really nice quality. Also have their LCA's.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM
FormerVendor

We only recommend adjustable LCA's when you are running or planning on running a aftermarket rearend housing.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:45 AM
12 Second Club

Grab some Founders non-adjustable LCA's. I'm a big fan of their products! Actually just received a bunch of stuff from them last week for my camaro.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:28 AM
TECH Addict

https://www.foundersperformance.com/...r-control-arm/

Check these. What I like about them is that they have a unique bushing design that privodes zero deflection forwards and backwards but they can still deflect side ti side when turning. Best of both worlds while being 100% streetable. Love them. I got the adjustable ones and they eliminated my wheel hop.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:31 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I was looking at those Founders arms, but ended up going with UMI. Unfortunately, being in Canada the shipping costs vary by a lot, and Founders wanted just as much for shipping as the price of the arms. UMI through eBay had the best total price for arms, shipping, and duties, and they have a good reputation around here, and they'll match the UMI PHB I already have.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by handyandy
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I was looking at those Founders arms, but ended up going with UMI. Unfortunately, being in Canada the shipping costs vary by a lot, and Founders wanted just as much for shipping as the price of the arms. UMI through eBay had the best total price for arms, shipping, and duties, and they have a good reputation around here, and they'll match the UMI PHB I already have.
All shipping for fbody parts to Canada should be completely free of charge due to the fact you all built them for us lol. Canada should reimburse the company.
Just a suggestion

Last edited by BeatonZ06; 02-26-2018 at 09:50 PM.