Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Arm Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rocker Arm Install

Putting my engine back together and I noticed as i tighten up my rocker arms the springs, even the ones where the valves should be closed are moving down ever so slightly.

Measured 11.25 turns with the pushrod checker, which says my rods should be 7.423 and i have 7.425 pushrods...

Is this normal?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you place the rocker arm mount/rail on the head first...?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Are you using stock lifters?
Old 03-16-2018, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

Stock lifters yes. After letting them sit a bit the springs extended back to normal. I think it was delay to the lifters pumping down.

Also, yes, they're on the rail
Old 03-16-2018, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

You need to count the turns at zero lash when checking your preload.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MonochromeSS
Putting my engine back together and I noticed as i tighten up my rocker arms the springs, even the ones where the valves should be closed are moving down ever so slightly.

Measured 11.25 turns with the pushrod checker, which says my rods should be 7.423 and i have 7.425 pushrods...

Is this normal?
Assuming the pushrod length is OK, yes this is normal. The lifter will bleed down a bit and the valve should close. If it doesn't, than the pushrod length is suspect. If your setup is using the stock rockers, you should be following the GM procedure to prevent driving the valve into the piston and to obtain the proper bolt preload.
Old 03-17-2018, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Assuming the pushrod length is OK, yes this is normal. The lifter will bleed down a bit and the valve should close. If it doesn't, than the pushrod length is suspect. If your setup is using the stock rockers, you should be following the GM procedure to prevent driving the valve into the piston and to obtain the proper bolt preload.
This is completely what happend... Caught me off guard at first because I don't remember ever seeing anyone say anything about that but when you think about it makes total sense.

Good point on the GM procedure for piston/valve clearance, although i don't really have an issue with that because I have a TON of valve clearance because of my setup.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MonochromeSS
This is completely what happend... Caught me off guard at first because I don't remember ever seeing anyone say anything about that but when you think about it makes total sense.

Good point on the GM procedure for piston/valve clearance, although i don't really have an issue with that because I have a TON of valve clearance because of my setup.
Except you are opening the valve with the piston up top if the lifter is on the lobe. Just be careful.