Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Does this look like a decent radio/NAV head unit

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Does this look like a decent radio/NAV head unit

Does this look like a decent radio/NAV head unit

My 07 Saab 97x 5.3i same as trailblazer has a rotton NAV unit would like to replace reuse the orginal speakers done on low budget.

?1.can I cut the OEM adapter off then wire directly to the new stereo?

?2. is this a decent radio/NAV? https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blaupunkt-P...19.m1438.l2649

Second choice

Amazon Amazon

?3.can I reuse the OEM brackety?

?4.doe’s the Blaupunkt have a port for backup cameras front or rear?

Thanks

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 05-10-2018 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Title spelling... there's no apostrophe in "does"
Old 05-09-2018, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away from Boss. I'd get a Pioneer or Sony or JVC in the same price range
Old 05-09-2018, 01:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

First off don't cut the factory wires. Just get the metra harness for your truck.

As for the actual stereo it's really going to be a specific item to you. Features that are important to one person can be completely pointless to another. You just need to figure out what exactly you want and find something in your price range that has those features. Also read lots of reviews. I was surprised how many people are having issues with pioneer and Kenwood lately and those were brands I always shopped for. The reviews kept me from getting burned on a supposed high end unit.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If you're looking for double DIN navigation in that price range, expect to be disappointed. Boss and Pyle are terrible. Blaupunkt made state-of-the-art equipment in the 70s and 80s but seems to have fallen into the low price market in recent years. You won't see brand names until you get to $300 and above. Now, if price is the primary consideration then I would choose (I really hate to say this) the Boss over that particular Blaupunkt because it gets pretty bad reviews.

As far as installation, as mentioned above - DO NOT CUT the factory harness. You can get a mounting kit, harness adapter and antenna adapter for under $30 although you'll lose steering wheel controls, OnStar, and rear seat controls if you have them but at least you will keep the retained accessory power and audible chimes and have undamaged wiring. Adapters to keep all of the factory features will run you about $85.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:46 AM
Launching!

"steering wheel controls, OnStar, and rear seat controls" on a 99TA ?
Old 05-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

No, on the '07 Saab he describes in the original post.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:14 PM
Launching!

Ah, you have a point then. My bad
Old 05-11-2018, 04:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
. You can get a mounting kit, harness adapter and antenna adapter for under $30 although you'll lose steering wheel controls, OnStar, and rear seat controls if you have them but at least you will keep the retained accessory power and audible chimes and have undamaged wiring. Adapters to keep all of the factory features will run you about $85.
please send link for mounting kit, harness adapter and antenna adapter for under $30.
I could lose steering wheel controls, OnStar, and rear seat controls.

been researching the radio swap this is what I came up w/ $84.https://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-RP4-GM1...19.m1438.l2649

thanks for advice
Old 05-11-2018, 07:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I found the kits on Crutchfield by selecting 2007 Saab 9-7X and in-dash GPS Navigation Receivers. Next to each listed head unit you'll see a link "See the installation gear you'll need". The prices are $50 off assuming you buy the HU from them which is why it seems so much cheaper than you'll find on eBay or other retailers. You would have to determine if the total price for HU and installation parts is better buying from Crutchfield or paying more for the kits but saving on the HU somewhere else. I would recommend Crutchfield if the price is close since their customer service is legendary. I would avoid Sonic Electronics because they sell grey market product not authorized by the manufacturers and without factory warranties. But there are plenty of other options like Best Buy, Amazon, and even Walmart.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah Amazone has the Bluapunkt portland 310 for $130. shipped.not sure if the ebay stuff is real bluapunkt or a imatation.
don't think Amazone is selling imatation?

why do you say I will be dissapointed in the blaupunkt. if it plays my MP3 I have stored on flash drives and has a decent radio reception (I've read this is the Knock on the new blaupunkts).

I've also read the NAV actualley works good.

my stock HU was draining the battery in less than a day parasitic draw of 3.3 amps, that unpleasant nightmare is resolved by removing the stock HU basicalley looking for a low budget alternative to stock reusing stock speakers so I'm not expecting a real sys.
why you say I would be dissapointed in nowadays blaupunkt crummie audio?

dam I just see at amazone for $4.50 I can have three years of insurance
Thanks for you'r expert advice.

Last edited by badmfkr; 05-11-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I doubt either Amazon or eBay is selling knock-offs. The price point probably isn't worth the trouble.

The reviews I've seen of the Blaupunkt mostly complain about horrible radio reception and Bluetooth cutting in and out. Those are two pretty basic functions of a modern head unit. As much as I loved Blaupunkt in the past (I had three in different vehicles), they don't seem to be living up to their reputation with this one.
Old 05-12-2018, 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have searched the Blaupunkt could only find 3 reviews at Amazone, no videos , blaupunkts website offers very few details about the HU. I like to know whats in the box what's included like GPS antenna, GPS maps.

how do these builtin car audio/stereos contain the maps internal or external stored maps the GM HU requires a map DVD inserted into it's DVD drive. this is a tow vehicle which will be traveling to new destinations so a decent GPS will be a big help.

additionally blaupunkts website have no way contact expect a physical mailing address there's no chat/email/forunm however w/ the Amazone insurance policy it will be like leasing a radio Amazone will be easy to contact, if I get 3 years I'm happy.

Plan B find used GM HU is still in effect. however the ebay prices start at $400. maybe I should look harder for a used?
Old 05-13-2018, 11:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Assuming the 310 uses the same design as Blaupunkt's other nav systems, it has a micro SDHC card containing the map data.

Be very careful about buying a used GM double DIN head unit. In the mid-2000s, GM started encoding the VIN in the head units as a theft deterrent so that it could only be used with the vehicle it came from. A dealer can reprogram but they will charge you to do so and they may refuse unless you can prove it wasn't stolen.
Old 05-13-2018, 07:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

How about a radio that offers phone mirroring? I had a Pioneer AVh8500bhs in my previous pickup and I'd plug my iPhone into and through the CarPlay app it mirrored y phone on the radio screen. I would use waze for nav and I could also watch YouTube videos if I wanted. I pulled it out of the truck when I bought my Canyon with factory Bose Nav. What I liked about that radio feature was there were no maps to update like my current factory nav.
I'm actually thinking about putting it in the Camaro and removing the antique cassette player lol. Ive been looking on crutchfield for the double din bezel, steering wheel control, antenna adapter and wiring harness.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

actually I don't use my smart phone much at all for net-stuff. use lap-top for portability at home workstation and large 27" flat TV interfaced w/ VGA cable.

on my boat I do mirror my fish finder depth guage w/ bluetooth to my andriod 6 10" tablet for a larger portable display

New radio w/ bluetooth connect to phone though speakers option.

pulled trigger on the blaupuntk the pacgm11 and FM inlargement plug.

I think the OEM trim covers new radio. I hope there is like a slider type of selve where the unit sits on and I bend tabs to secure? if I have to I'll fab some brackets.

the blaupuntk has an front camera function is it capably of record and store to either usb flash drive or sd card?
WB thanks for talking me out of a OEM replacment unit

my main concern w/ connecting a chinense radio up it's potential to drain the battery

when I plan to unstart the vehicle for a few days or even a day I would like the option to have a kill switch for the radios constant 12VDC. so is thi a good idea just in case the new radio has a draw?

I will eventually have a battery kill switch however that area is very tight very limited area barely enough room to clamp on a battery recharge cable. I hope the blaupuntk stores favorites address locations on its NAV and saves even when 12VDC is removed?

is the factory radio any part of the OEM burglar alarm sys. and will this sys. continue to function correctly?

Last edited by badmfkr; 05-22-2018 at 06:38 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

next I feel a small rear mono amp, and a homemade 10"sub box coming on, like I did in the TA.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

How to wire PAC Pro4 GM11 The NAV/Radio wires where easy.

Managed to connect a couple wires hopefully correctly.

I assume blaupunkt refers to reverse lights as to brake detect.

I assume blaupunkt refers amp on as amplifier control so far to labling is a toss-up.

I connected the fatter yellow to yellow.

I don’t think I use any speaker wire from HU?

The blaupunkt initial configure settings aren’t listed or recognized by pac4.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

hooked up a few more wires however I feel like I'm guessing.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Doe’s this 3.5” plug into rear of HU for chime audio? Or SWC

There is only one 3.5” plug it’s the AUX plug on front for Ipod.

Apparently the blaupunkt doesn’t surport steering wheel functions because I can’t

See a female 3.5” plug?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

dune w/ blaupunkt waiting for andriod 7.1 it has steering wheel control

what do you guys think tablet in car hope she sounds/functions good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Android-7-1....c100005.m1851