Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio shuts off. Already fixed BCM.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio shuts off. Already fixed BCM.

So i'm having some strange issues with my 99 Camaro that I can't info much info on when I search.

Radio will power on/off, sometimes going into a on/off loop for 4-6 times. Also, most of the time the radio will shut off when I open the door after turning ignition off.
The BCM has been fixed.
Sometimes it seems like when i press the windows switches, it will trigger the power cycling. Other times it will happen just while driving. The window occurance is too often to not be related imo.
I remember seeing somewhere that the window switch could be the culprit. I replaced that with a new ebay unit and still have issues.

Do i have a wiring problem from the switch? It does look a little ragged. OR do I possibly have a ignition or ground issue?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2018, 02:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Other than using the same RAP (Retained Accessory Power) source which comes from the BCM, the radio and window circuits have nothing in common. There is no way the window switches could make the radio cut out unless it was shorting and blowing a fuse - in which case it would not come back on until you replace the fuse.

Sorry to say... it would seem that you need to pull the BCM and check your soldering.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks for such a quick response. I saw it on Friday, but didn't have time to pull bcm again. My friend who soldered it is pretty experienced repairing boards so i trust his job, but it sounds like he may have missed something.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:19 PM
Teching In

So the radio is still cutting out, but mostly due to small abrupt bumps in the road. Sometimes it will cycle once, others cycle multiple times before stabilizing.
Every other accessory in the car still works when this occurs. If the windows still work, does this eliminate BCM? I've read possible issue could be bcm wiring, window express module, window switch in door.

Also, most of the time the car's windows and stereo turn off with ignition off, but doors still closed.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:04 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

You say the radio cuts out but the windows continue to work so why would you consider the windows express down module or window switches? They have nothing to do with the radio.

Have you had the radio cut out while you were in the process of opening or closing the windows? Or tried the windows while the radio was still off after cutting out? I ask because the only thing the radio and windows have in common is that they are both powered (on separate circuits) by the retained accessory power (RAP) circuit which is controlled by the BCM. Other than a convertible top, those are the only circuits that are powered by the RAP circuit so other accessories aren't related. Having the windows and radio shut off immediately with the ignition switch also points to the RAP circuit not working. So that leads back to the BCM being the source of the problem.

I would check the soldering on the BCM circuit board and if that isn't the problem then you will probably have to replace the BCM. You can get a new one from Amazon. Don't buy a used one unless you are prepared to go through all 15 possible VATS resistor combinations to find a match.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Don't have a real reason to ask about express other than I saw a thread where it was mentioned. It wasn't for same issue though.

The windows still work when the radio dies. Are the rap solder points in the bcm shared or independent?
Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The RAP circuit is a single circuit that uses a relay in the BCM to maintain power output for a period of time after the ignition is switched off or until a door is opened. It has only one output which goes to the fuse panel and splits there to power the RADIO fuse and the WINDOWS circuit breaker. If either the radio or the windows continue to work then the RAP circuit is not the source of the problem... the problem must be somewhere beyond the fuse panel. In this case that means that the problem is somewhere between the RADIO fuse and the radio or within the radio head unit itself.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Ok, my BCM is no longer the issue then. I do have a weird note to add.

Currently my door switch plate is not in the bezel (clip wont stay in to keep it retained in the switch bezel.) However there was a brief time when i was able to get the switches and stiff wiring to stay in the bezel. When the the switch was in factory placement, the power on the radio would often stay off and not cycle back on. What kind of voodoo could that be? Do i have an exposed wire somewhere from window switch to fuse box?
Old 09-22-2018, 06:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

It's a coincidence. I don't know how many other ways I can explain this... although the radio and windows share their power source (the RAP circuit from the BCM), they have absolutely nothing else in common. Nothing related to the windows (switches, motors, express down module, even the circuit breaker) can have any effect on the radio.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:35 AM
Teching In

You've explained wonderfully, i just wanted to add in that weird occurrence. Thanks for your time and knowledge.
Old 06-11-2019, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I'm bumping this thread back to life, cause I'm having a similar issue with my 99 Z28, A4 and its just not making sense. Things to note, I currently have an aftermarket deck in the car. I've tested the deck in another car and am 100% certain its not the deck. The wires are soldered together and have verified all the wiring is correct and working and all pins from the stereo to the original harness are in good condition. Car is bone stock aside from the stereo.

If I let my car sit for a day or so and go for the first drive the stereo works as it should, and when I turn the car off and take the key out of the ignition the stereo still plays till I open my driver door. But then if I immediately(0 - 30 minutes later or even a little longer) go to drive the car again. The stereo with start as normal but then continuously keep restarting and power off and on, for 5 - 10 minutes, sometimes stay completely off for a couple minutes(you can press any button on the stereo and nothing happens). Then eventually it'll kick back on and work normal without any interruptions, but when I stop and turn the key off the stereo will completely shut off right when the key is turned off instead of when the door is opened. As far as I can tell everything else in the car works as intended even when this issue is happening.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:29 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Do the power windows have the same power problem? They share the same power supply from the RAP circuit in the BCM. If both suffer power outages at the same time then it is likely there is a problem with the RAP circuit. If not then the problem is unique to the radio wiring.

This is one of the places where soldering is not the best way to connect the wires. Solder joints are inflexible and relatively brittle so they will break down over time in an environment where there is movement or vibration. The head unit harness is free hanging and not fully supported in a harness bundle so solder joints are subject to eventual failure. I would suggest the first place to check is the red and yellow power wire solder joints (you did use an adapter harness, right? otherwise it would be the yellow and orange wires in the factory harness.) Look for cracks in the solder or any other signs that the connection might be intermittent - it doesn't take much of a crack to make a solder joint fail intermittently. If so, replace the connections with crimp-on butt connectors rather than soldering.
Old 06-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Do the power windows have the same power problem? They share the same power supply from the RAP circuit in the BCM. If both suffer power outages at the same time then it is likely there is a problem with the RAP circuit. If not then the problem is unique to the radio wiring.

This is one of the places where soldering is not the best way to connect the wires. Solder joints are inflexible and relatively brittle so they will break down over time in an environment where there is movement or vibration. The head unit harness is free hanging and not fully supported in a harness bundle so solder joints are subject to eventual failure. I would suggest the first place to check is the red and yellow power wire solder joints (you did use an adapter harness, right? otherwise it would be the yellow and orange wires in the factory harness.) Look for cracks in the solder or any other signs that the connection might be intermittent - it doesn't take much of a crack to make a solder joint fail intermittently. If so, replace the connections with crimp-on butt connectors rather than soldering.
I guess I've never tried the windows while the stereo was having that issue, I typically only take the car out on nice days and take the t-tops off. So the windows are down at that point and I don't mess with them. I will have to try that today after work and see what happens.

Yes, I used an adapter harness. I've had the head unit unbolted from the dash, with the car on and the stereo playing and messed with every wire, from the stereo itself all the way back to original harness, and nothing changed or was interrupted. Also when it was having the issue and it powered itself off, I had the deck unbolted and once again messed with every single wire, from the desk harness all the way back to the original harness and the stereo wouldn't even turn back on. I'm 100% certain it's not the deck or the wiring from the stereo to the original harness.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Just a little update and bumping this thread in case anyone else has this issue. WhiteBird00 was right it was the RAP circuit on my BCM. I pulled out the BCM, de-soldered the bad connection and then re-solder it and I haven't had an issue since. You could see the crack in the connection on the board. Thanks for the helpful information.