Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving to tuner

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 05:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Driving to tuner

Would I be able to drive the car as long as I stay out of boost to the tuner? I am having issues finding a trailer that I am able to get the damn car loaded onto without dragging headers and exhaust. Car is NOT a drag strip car nor will it ever be. It is just a cruiser and gets minimal drive time (maybe 3000 miles in last 3 years). Would be an approx 120 mile drive.

D1X installed should be around 6-8psi according to brute speed on sbe ls1
BTR LS3 supercharged cam, springs, pushrods, retainers, trunion upgrade (new oil pump installed just because was all apart anyways with melling hp pump)
Plugs changed and gapped for blower (.035)
3200 Triple Disk Stall
Meth system (currently disabled so it does not engage)
80# injectors (DEKA)

I have changed the injector data in HP Tuners to account for the injectors. I will have to adjust the idle speeds if I try because car will start and run cold but once placed in gear or warmed up it stalls out (due to cam/stall)

I have driven before i installed stall, cam and injectors staying out of boost for a few miles and besides horrible afr (running rich) it did run okay.
Old 05-23-2018, 05:49 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Should be ok, drive keep the RPMs low and stay out of boost. Godspeed.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Question

I was under the impression that if you changed/increased your injector(s) that it was a no no to drive the vehicle without tune. When I spoke with my tuner Pat G to tune my car he told me to leave me stock injectors in to drive to his shop then swap in my new injectors there and we would tune.... now I just have a H/C/I build but that's my 2 cents, I believe the extra volume of gas can wash out the rings/cylinder walls..... Just a thought I'm sure some of the next level guys will chime in.

Ooops just noticed that you said you have already adjusted for the new injectors.... I should read more... maybe call the tuner to be safe??
Old 05-23-2018, 06:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mintws6
I was under the impression that if you changed/increased your injector(s) that it was a no no to drive the vehicle without tune. When I spoke with my tuner Pat G to tune my car he told me to leave me stock injectors in to drive to his shop then swap in my new injectors there and we would tune.... now I just have a H/C/I build but that's my 2 cents, I believe the extra volume of gas can wash out the rings/cylinder walls..... Just a thought I'm sure some of the next level guys will chime in.
Yeah, missed that. Im tired. If you went up in injector size youre gonna me dumping way too much fuel.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:21 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

If you've changed injector data and the AFR is reasonable, you should be fine to drive there.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mintws6

I was under impression that as long as the tune data was changed for the injector change it was okay. I emailed about changing injectors as to avoid being charged 140.00 for injector change (labor to install) and was informed that as long as I changed data in HP tuners to reflect the new injectors. To be blunt I have NO clue as to what is right or wrong in this case. I could put stockers back in however that would involve changing them at tuner of course. Maybe others know for 100%?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ddnspider
If you've changed injector data and the AFR is reasonable, you should be fine to drive there.

While sitting in garage idling (as we are trying to sort issues with idling enough to get on trailer) the AFR according to my wideband gauge is around 14 when in closed loop (cant remember right now but i could verify) Car SMELLS horrible rich of course due to long tubes/no cats and blower I am assuming. I do not have HP tuners pro and only have the standard version.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:27 AM
Launching!

If you have access to HP tuners;

Stock injector size * 100 / new injector size = the % you need to go up on your injector ms values.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Unless you have the tuning adjusted to where you're not washing down the cylinders with excessive fuel from it running fat, I feel the best thing to do is to put the stock injectors back in it. You can swap them out once you get there after the engine has cooled down, and save yourself $140.00. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 05-23-2018, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Unless you have the tuning adjusted to where you're not washing down the cylinders with excessive fuel from it running fat, I feel the best thing to do is to put the stock injectors back in it. You can swap them out once you get there after the engine has cooled down, and save yourself $140.00. Bob
BTW this is the data that was used on the injectors in HP. Car was already horrible smelling before cam/ injector install. I just assumed that was because of the blower and no tune.

Thanks
Attached Files
Old 05-23-2018, 06:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by klinznilk
While sitting in garage idling (as we are trying to sort issues with idling enough to get on trailer) the AFR according to my wideband gauge is around 14 when in closed loop (cant remember right now but i could verify) Car SMELLS horrible rich of course due to long tubes/no cats and blower I am assuming. I do not have HP tuners pro and only have the standard version.
If you're in the 14's youre good to go if its also at cruise and not just idle.

Originally Posted by Fuhnortoner
If you have access to HP tuners;

Stock injector size * 100 / new injector size = the % you need to go up on your injector ms values.
That is not the correct way to size new injectors. There's more to injector data than flow rate and min pulse width.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:51 AM
Launching!

That is not the correct way to size new injectors. There's more to injector data than flow rate and min pulse width.
Good enough to get him to the tuners.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Good enough to get him to the tuners.
That's a hack way and he's already got real injector data and is idling in the 14's.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:55 AM
Launching!

That's a hack way and he's already got real injector data and is idling in the 14's.
Whatever man.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:12 AM
10 Second Club

Whatever man.
You're literally telling him, "ignore the real injector data you have specific to your injectors and use this theoretical % increase". Other parameters like injector pulse width voltage adjustment and small pulse adjustment matter to get the car to run right. If he had zero data, or there wasn't any data available, then sure; but he has the data.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:36 AM
Launching!

Youre literally overthinking it, probably because you want to argue, or show how much of a competant tuner you are. The formula I gave will suffice as a good starting point, and enough to get him to the tuners.

Oh the real time injector data says hes idling at 14afr? Nevermind then. Now we can safely assume he'll be fine throughout the full rpm range.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

Youre literally overthinking it, probably because you want to argue, or show how much of a competant tuner you are. The formula I gave will suffice as a good starting point, and enough to get him to the tuners.

Oh the real time injector data says hes idling at 14afr? Nevermind then. Now we can safely assume he'll be fine throughout the full rpm range.
You're UNDERthinking it. Making blanket statements about stuff like fuel injector data is not only stupid, but dangerous. You care about the guys motor/tuning so much, then stop giving bad advice and let him use real injector data instead of your B.S. ballpark answer.

And PS, nobody said he's good through the rev range. He wants to be able to drive to the dyno shop for a real tune. Try reading next time.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:52 AM
Launching!

You're UNDERthinking it. Making blanket statements about stuff like fuel injector data is not only stupid, but dangerous. You care about the guys motor/tuning so much, then stop giving bad advice and let him use real injector data instead of your B.S. ballpark answer.

And PS, nobody said he's good through the rev range. He wants to be able to drive to the dyno shop for a real tune. Try reading next time.
Weird, I dont remember getting an elaborate answer from you. "Yeah bro, 14afr idle, your good to go".

At least we know he can idle it to the tuner.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:57 AM
10 Second Club

Weird, I dont remember getting an elaborate answer from you. "Yeah bro, 14afr idle, your good to go".

At least we know he can idle it to the tuner.
Still don't read too well huh? Post 11.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Still don't read too well huh? Post 11.
Still not seeing an elaborate response. Maybe you should google what elaborate means.