Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Lsa Blower Noise, Am I Screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Lsa Blower Noise, Am I Screwed?

So I just got to start up my lsa swapped 5.3 tonight. The motor is still untuned, just working the kinks out, but at idle there is a LOUD whine in which I'm assuming is bearing noise. I bought the blower on eBay at the end of last year. I paid 2500 plus shipping, it came with a new lid, hardware, lsa rail, and all the gaskets. It was listed as a low mile unit, but it did need the isolator replaced which is the norm. Here are a few videos of the sound, when I first started it up, then the bearing noise from the snout and possibly the blower after I pulled it apart shortly after.

I'm totally fine with ordering a kit and replacing the snout bearings, as I have access to a shop press, but what I'm more concerned about is the noise from the rotors. Is that bearing noise I'm hearing, or just the sound the rotors make? I don't want to replace snout bearings if the whole blower needs a rebuild. Also, when I had it apart replacing the isolator, the rotors looked fine. No gouges or any contact with the rear case that I could see. Any insight would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Running:

Snout and bearing noise:
Old 07-20-2018, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Hopefully the bearings are causing all of the noise. Remember that bad bearings allow rotor contact. Hopefully you are not in total rebuild territory yet, but I would not take anything for granted with an ebay purchase. Good luck.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gametech
Hopefully the bearings are causing all of the noise. Remember that bad bearings allow rotor contact. Hopefully you are not in total rebuild territory yet, but I would not take anything for granted with an ebay purchase. Good luck.
I just hope the issue is just the snout bearings and not the case bearings. I just ordered a set which should be here Monday. Fingers crossed...
Old 07-20-2018, 09:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not a bearing noise. It's air passing through the IAC port. Let it warm up and most of it will go away. Put a cold air intake on it and you will hear a lot less of it. Your bearings sound fine to me.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kbracing96
That's not a bearing noise. It's air passing through the IAC port. Let it warm up and most of it will go away. Put a cold air intake on it and you will hear a lot less of it. Your bearings sound fine to me.
Ok that’s good to know. Should I do the snout bearings while I have it off? It’s not the vacuum whistle sound that I’m concerned about, my fast 102 sounded that way too when cold. It’s the loud kind of whining I’m hearing. This guy had the exact same noise and every one said it was the bearings:

https://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/62-...ics/876?page=1

Last edited by Mgg4591; 07-20-2018 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kbracing96
yea i was gunna say...thats just air. The fact that you have a filter shoved on the TB is just amplifiying the sound. Hell when i put my 80mm tb on it was louder than that...and as he stated...warmed up, iax settled down, problem gone.
Old 07-20-2018, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TPIZ92
yea i was gunna say...thats just air. The fact that you have a filter shoved on the TB is just amplifiying the sound. Hell when i put my 80mm tb on it was louder than that...and as he stated...warmed up, iax settled down, problem gone.
Ok thanks, I’m gonna put the snout back on tonight and let it warm up. I’ll try moving the filter a little further back. I just have it on there temporarily until I finish building one.
Old 07-20-2018, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Alright so I got the snout back on and moved the intake a bit, and yea the noise moved with the filter. Here it is running fully warmed up. The noise goes away when the pcv vacuum hose is removed. I’m assuming the air from the vacuum leak is diverting some air from the iac and causing less noise? Either way, it’s not the bearings like everyone said. 👍👍👍

Old 07-21-2018, 04:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah its air noise. Mine does the samething till warmed up.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for replies guys. I finally got my ve table straightened out and the idle set. No more noise👍.

Quick Reply: Lsa Blower Noise, Am I Screwed?