So Done with this car...

Old 08-18-2018, 08:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default So Done with this car...

Catch by binge-reading Chapters 1 and 2 here:

https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...hos-there.html

https://www.g8board.com/forums/5-v8-...ould-i-go.html

It's been 7 months of issues...7 months since I dropped the car off. 7....

Now, I want to be clear, i don't blame Complete Street Performance at all. They've worked with me through the whole process, and i have no doubts that nothing that has happened is because of their mistakes.

BUuUUUUUUuuuUuUUT, that said. Man....I seriously hate this car. If i hadn't just dumped a lot of money into it to get to this point, it very well could be up for sale, because it has been nothing but bad luck for me.

So, we bought a new short block from Thompson Motorsports, a forged piston, stock otherwise LS3 type. It was supposed to take 4 weeks. It took 10....

Engine arrives a CSP, and my anxiety goes up. It's close...i can taste it. CSP takes the Advance Induction heads and BTR Stage 3 out of my old L76 and straps them on the new bullet. All shiney and mean, we're hoping for 500 to the wheels.

Car is buttoned up, and is sitting on the dyno warming up. Annnnnnnd, the oil pressure drops to about 12psi. It fluxuates with revs, but at idle it will only hit around 15.

Call TMS for some leads, check the oil sending unit, the oil pick-up O-ring, and all the peaks and valleys that a restriction could have been, no dice.

I get a call from Alex at CSP yesterday afternoon. TMS wants the engine shipped back to them for inspection. We're back at square one. It heads back to Texas on Monday.

Only one thing left to do.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:32 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,078 Posts

And I thought that stuff like this only happens to me...
Old 08-18-2018, 11:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
And I thought that stuff like this only happens to me...
Or a LOT of us! LOL Join the club, man! It ain't all that exclusive....
Old 08-18-2018, 11:53 AM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Or a LOT of us! LOL Join the club, man! It ain't all that exclusive....
Right? I started my 434” build January of 17’. It’s august of 18’ and I still can’t tune the car correctly, due to wideband issues. Sent the ECM back to Mast 2 weeks ago, and what happens? Damon goes on vacation...that’s hodrodding!
Old 08-18-2018, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 397 Likes on 289 Posts

I bought my first engine used from a guy on this site named, Auto-Teacher. Scumbag that has changed his name since. That engine really was an HKE built stroker, just failed to mention there were metal filings throughout.

Second engine was dropped from a forklift, rolled, pallet smashed, picked up again by the crankshaft, mounted to a new pallet, and delivered to me like nothing happened. Damage claim denied. Trucking companies can be scumbags too.

Third engine was hand transferred to my truck at a gas station in Missouri and is still running in my car. Hang in there, brighter days will follow but not without the passage of time.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 596 Likes on 411 Posts

Yup, this isn't like going down to Kroger and picking up a gallon of milk or something... takes some real patience sometimes. You're not the only one stuff like this happens to. I sent a set of heads to Dart for some work not too long ago, and never heard back; come to find out, the guy there that does what I needed done, was on medical leave. I had to wait til he got back. So yeah... like the bumper sticker says... IT happens. OTOH I can assure you it does NOTHING BUT get worse, if you try to speed up or short-circuit the necessary process somehow. That's pretty much a recipe for a disaster.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

Heh. Misery loves company.

Would have been nicer if the 7 months was during the fall and winter Not spring and summer.

Ive never gone this deep with a car before, others were just bolt on cars. Sheesh, hotrodding really does blow sometimes, the pay off better be worth it

Last edited by Segselah; 08-18-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:03 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by Segselah
Heh. Misery loves company.

Would have been nicer if the 7 months was during the fall and winter Not spring and summer.

Ive never gone this deep with a car before, others were just bolt on cars. Sheesh, hotrodding really does blow sometimes, the pay off better be worth it
Oh it’s worth it...until you get used to the extra power after a week or two...and then you want more. And it’s a drug. And you can’t get enough. Mr. Brownstone...
Old 08-18-2018, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hang in there man! At the end of the tunnel where the bright light is, will be a ton o' fun awaiting you!
Old 08-18-2018, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Owned
Old 08-18-2018, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Hang in there, brighter days will follow but not without the passage of time.

This...

I've been doing this stuff for over 30 years (yeah, i'm old)...I can tell you the extra time will be worth it...on just about any project, take the time and money, and double it, you'll be pretty close...

Old 08-18-2018, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CattleAc
This...
……. take the time and money, and double it, you'll be pretty close...
You got off that cheap??!?! LOL

Old 08-18-2018, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 306 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You got off that cheap??!?! LOL

I didn't want to depress him with the reality that triple or quadruple is more like it...
Old 08-19-2018, 08:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CattleAc
I didn't want to depress him with the reality that triple or quadruple is more like it...

LOL, no worries. I've been doing this long enough to know that. Even without this project I knew that.

Though with this one i went into with the idea of 3 weeks and a few grand for lifter, maybe cam, replacement.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't know man.......more and more people just don't give a *** if they send out quality products or not. I'm not saying the company you bought the motor from suck, it's just in general. We buy transmission parts from transtar and if they don't have the parts they just send something else, it might not even be for the transmission we're working on, how fuked up is that.
Well....once you get the motor running I'm sure the wait will be worth it
Old 08-19-2018, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Segselah, that's definitely a rough turn of events. Hang in there and get your G8 sorted out. It will take longer than it should and cost more than estimated but it will be worth it in the end when you drive the G8. Trust me on this I know for direct experience of having to have an engine put back together.

My 99 TA was stolen just after the new 416 was broken in and ready to tune. The TA was recovered with engine damage. Ordeal starts on post #263.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...-repaired.html
Old 08-20-2018, 12:51 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I hate it for you. Let us know if we can help. I know how it is to have everything go wrong. We will do all we can to find out what happened and why it happened to help you get back up and running. In the meantime let us know if we can do anything to help you along. Keep you head up, it will be worth it when its all together.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by thompson
I hate it for you. Let us know if we can help. I know how it is to have everything go wrong. We will do all we can to find out what happened and why it happened to help you get back up and running. In the meantime let us know if we can do anything to help you along. Keep you head up, it will be worth it when its all together.
Thanks for responding. I realize you'll do all you can, and yeah it's a bit of a canned answer. But it does make me feel a bit better to know that you know the back story a bit.

I'm just tired of driving my beater truck for the past 7 months. The empty bay in the garage in depressing.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 228 Likes on 153 Posts

Not a single person in this hobby who hasn't been in your shoes. I had a brand new, top dollar 2004-R shift like crap from Day 1. The trans builder then tried charging me money for going back through it, and when I objected, the dickface voided my warranty saying I didn't follow proper installation instructions.
At least Thompson is working with you.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I agree with the others, hang in there! it'll be worth it in the end when the car's up and running and it'll bring that smile/grin on your face again. I went through the same thing on my previous build with my firebird. in hindsight I should had just kept it and did the work myself originally instead of taking it to a local 'performance shop' to get the job done.

Search this Thread