Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

What Front wheel bearing assembly is best?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question What Front wheel bearing assembly is best?

So what Brand front wheel bearing assembly is best? Timken seems to be a popular choice from the brief searches I've done. 2002 Camaro.

When I turn the steering wheel to change lanes to the right I don’t hear noise but going straight and going to the left I feel all kinds of vibration, I think it’s the passenger side wheel bearing.

Saw a review on the Moog version on an auto parts store who wrote: "You'll also know that your hubs are worn if, after making a turn or cornering aggressively, your brake pedal is very soft or goes to the floor. This is "pad knockback" from a wobbly hub that presses your brake pads back into the calipers. Time for new hubs!" This is a new one on me.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 10-22-2018 at 10:52 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

If you take the wheel and brake off, you can turn the hub by hand and manipulate it and tell. A good hub is smooth and a little hard to turn. A loose or freely spinning hub will be bad. By hand, you can also feel grinding of bad bearings inside. Bad bearings also make a variety of odd noises - or none at all.

Our bearings generally start to go at 70-80K miles, so if you have that distance or more on them, you probably don't have much to loose by changing them out.

Only a few companies make bearings. Moog isn't one. (They would use someone else's bearings.) Timken, SKF, NSK, or NTN are the quality brands. If you get a hub from one of those companies, you can be reasonably certain that the bearings inside are quality.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the price of SKF has really gone down since a few yrs ago......so i got a set
Old 10-24-2018, 10:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Strano makes a replacement hub using corvette race bearings. Not sure if it retains abs or not. Timken and skf are the go too for decent bearings
Old 10-24-2018, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The best stock style hubs seem to be the OEM ones. Aftermarket stock style ones just don't seem to hold up. The best aftermarket one period would be the Hoosier pieces (which I believe they are out of business and may not be available anymore) or go with the Strano adapters (credit due to Jim on FRRAX forum) and get a X-Tracker hubs.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The Strano SKF-X-tracker does have ABS. If you road race, track day, or AX, you will want these sooner or later (may as well get them sooner). But if only street driving or drag, parts store units are probably OK for you, given the prices of the Strano package.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Detroit Speed offers xtracker hubs and adapter brackets with abs connectors for $1000
https://www.google.com/search?source...60.IjU_CiPVAZ4
Old 10-24-2018, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

What is best depends on what the application is. I needed something that would pass tech with my 17x7 race stars (RCE-92-770247DP 4.0" backspacing) so I needed longer studs. I went with:

TIMKEN 513090 - $215 for the pair
3" long 1/2x20 studs 873-A1026 - $21.99
Cost of local machine shop to tap and screw them in: $50

Old 10-24-2018, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

GM 7470587 hub.........seems to be discontinued
Old 10-24-2018, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just search for wheel hub 513090, Timken. Yes GM stopped making them. There's a myth going around about "used hubs" being seasoned in or something but I think that's BS so don't fall for that. Just go to Advance Auto or whatever you have in your area get the Timken, SKF, etc. If you need longer studs ARP 100-7708. Or there are others if you need longer such as 5.7Stroker said.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:44 AM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

OP, it looks from your sig pic that you do some track stuff, so just be careful in what hub you go with. I know the x-tracker/adapter setup is expensive, but the piece of mind is well worth it to some.

Here is a good thread if you get a chance: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=40
Old 10-25-2018, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a hub fail on track (race track not auto-x; sheared right off just like the pic you linked to) and thankfully it was at low speed. It was a not good day, but.... I got a replacement and made it home without a lot of damage. I totally recommend the X-Tracker hub + adapter setup. 2 years of hard AX on 315 R-comps and still tight as the first day.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Question

Originally Posted by wssix99
If you take the wheel and brake off, you can turn the hub by hand and manipulate it and tell. A good hub is smooth and a little hard to turn. A loose or freely spinning hub will be bad. By hand, you can also feel grinding of bad bearings inside. Bad bearings also make a variety of odd noises - or none at all.

Our bearings generally start to go at 70-80K miles, so if you have that distance or more on them, you probably don't have much to loose by changing them out.

Only a few companies make bearings. Moog isn't one. (They would use someone else's bearings.) Timken, SKF, NSK, or NTN are the quality brands. If you get a hub from one of those companies, you can be reasonably certain that the bearings inside are quality.
Interesting but I would assume a freely/smoothly rotating wheel indicates GOOD bearings, not bad ones?! Front driver side rotated nicely, passenger side terrible.

Do worn upper/lower control arm bearings have any affect on bearing longevity?

I would assume Moog would use quality bearings, as per their reputation? Wonder who's they use if they don't make roll their own...
Old 10-26-2018, 06:10 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Interesting but I would assume a freely/smoothly rotating wheel indicates GOOD bearings, not bad ones?
The dynamics of the part in the air (being spun by hand) and sitting on the ground, loaded with 800 lbs is different. (They will be a little tight without load on them.) We can't "feel" my bearings with this load on them, but I expect that if we could, they would move more freely. (A freely spinning bearing, like a lazy susan in your kitchen cabinets, would turn into a bag of marbles when the thing deforms under load.)

Do worn upper/lower control arm bearings have any affect on bearing longevity?
I would expect any suspension component not in a factory condition will lead to secondary wear. I'm not sure of the degree and criticality, though. (My guess would be that it would just slowly erode lifespan since it would introduce additional net movement of the suspension.)

I would assume Moog would use quality bearings, as per their reputation?
Probably, but we don't know. Is saving a few dollars worth knowing the single-point-of-failure-part is indeed a quality part?

Old 10-26-2018, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
OP, it looks from your sig pic that you do some track stuff, so just be careful in what hub you go with. I know the x-tracker/adapter setup is expensive, but the piece of mind is well worth it to some.

Here is a good thread if you get a chance: https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....8&postcount=40
Originally Posted by Chris Paveglio
I had a hub fail on track (race track not auto-x; sheared right off just like the pic you linked to) and thankfully it was at low speed. It was a not good day, but.... I got a replacement and made it home without a lot of damage. I totally recommend the X-Tracker hub + adapter setup. 2 years of hard AX on 315 R-comps and still tight as the first day.
Correct, even with daily use and or straigtline only use replacement hubs are junk.

Detroit Speed's xtracker hubs and adapter brackets with abs connectors for $1000 is the best price you'll find
https://www.google.com/search?source...60.IjU_CiPVAZ4
Old 10-28-2018, 10:13 PM
TECH Addict

The dynamics of the part in the air (being spun by hand) and sitting on the ground, loaded with 800 lbs is different. (They will be a little tight without load on them.) We can't "feel" my bearings with this load on them, but I expect that if we could, they would move more freely. (A freely spinning bearing, like a lazy susan in your kitchen cabinets, would turn into a bag of marbles when the thing deforms under load.)

I would expect any suspension component not in a factory condition will lead to secondary wear. I'm not sure of the degree and criticality, though. (My guess would be that it would just slowly erode lifespan since it would introduce additional net movement of the suspension.)

Probably, but we don't know. Is saving a few dollars worth knowing the single-point-of-failure-part is indeed a quality part?

Thanks, I realized the freely spinning bearing on the driver side are the main problem, passenger had some minor noise too like a ticking of sorts with brakes & rotor off and just the wheel on. When I would turn the steering wheel to change lanes to the right I don’t hear noise but going straight and going to the left I feel all kinds of vibration, I therefore thought it was the passenger side wheel bearing. But in fact the really bad one is the driver side, waiting for another to arrive. *rolls eyes*

Went with Moog, 3 yr warranty and it's an RS daily driver.

Moog vs. old bearing assembly.
Old 10-29-2018, 07:52 AM
Save the manuals!

But in fact the really bad one is the driver side, waiting for another to arrive. *rolls eyes*
These should be replaced in left/right, pairs anyway. (Like brakes.) They wear together. Both of them very well may have been contributing some noise or at different times.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

These should be replaced in left/right, pairs anyway. (Like brakes.) They wear together. Both of them very well may have been contributing some noise or at different times.
Yea, the passenger was replaced under extended warranty many yrs ago, driver side is original AFAIK.

Update: Driver side required large sledge-hammer wacks to dislodge the assembly, definitely never replaced before. Now that both fronts are replaced, all is nice and quiet driving again! Except for the exhaust sitting on the mid-car cross member due to welding in an aftermarket cat replacement of the factory orignal by a shop who did not do the job right. *Grrrr* Too many amateurs at most shops, really tired of having to bird eye everything.

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 11-03-2018 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

UMI will be making xtracker adapters too.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs5VVTxAJwZ/

What Front wheel bearing assembly is best?-wojtewy.jpg
Old 01-22-2019, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

So what Brand front wheel bearing assembly is best? Timken seems to be a popular choice from the brief searches I've done. 2002 Camaro.

When I turn the steering wheel to change lanes to the right I don’t hear noise but going straight and going to the left I feel all kinds of vibration, I think it’s the passenger side wheel bearing.

Saw a review on the Moog version on an auto parts store who wrote: "You'll also know that your hubs are worn if, after making a turn or cornering aggressively, your brake pedal is very soft or goes to the floor. This is "pad knockback" from a wobbly hub that presses your brake pads back into the calipers. Time for new hubs!" This is a new one on me.
Very true!! We deal with this a lot on ATVs since mud/water riding eats bearings like every 3rd ride. You can always tell when your hub/wheel bearing is going because its pushes the pads outward, which retracts the caliper a tad. You go to brake and have to pump the handle a few times before it firms up. Right away it stays firm but if you ride some without braking it allows the wobbly rotor to push the pad and the whole process starts over. Ive become a master of wheel bearing and ball joint swaps.