Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Windshield polishing to remove light scratches: What compound?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Windshield polishing to remove light scratches: What compound?

So there's tons of info about using compound and polish on your paint/clearcoat. Not as much about removing scratches from your windshield and it's a little confusing about what product is for what purpose, i.e. light vs med scratches.

If I wanted to remove the fine scratches on my windshield that've built up over two decades, what product should I use? I see Griot makes specific pads and a fine glass polish for their kit. I've already got a DA, so I would just need polish and pads. I also saw that Gordon Glass cerium oxide is popular.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

lolwut

Glass isn’t paint. You’ve never heard of glass polishing because it’s not a thing.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I had seen a youtube vid of someone buffing some tiny chips in their windshield a while back. the guy was wetsanding the areas with like 6000 grit sandpaper. there a various vids you can look on youtube. whether they do indeed work I cant answer that though
Old 11-12-2018, 02:30 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,489 Likes on 1,072 Posts

I've tried a great deal of compounds and processes on glass, most are not effective for removing scratches that are anything more than super-fine, but certain products/processes can remove haze, hard water or other stains that washing and glass cleaner alone will not remove.

Most of my testing has been done on old 2-system/7" round H6024 sealed beam glass headlight bulbs. I've found that use of finer grade steel wool and metal polish shows best results in haze or very minor imperfection removal. This may not directly translate to windshield glass, especially considering that steel wool dust will get everywhere if you're doing this while the glass is still installed on the car (which isn't an issue when working with loose headlights).

Zaino Z12 Glass Polish has worked well for me as a clean-up step after the steel wool/metal polish process mentioned above for headlights. Z12 also works well to really deep clean window glass, but I can't say that it's ever removed much in the way of fine scratches. I've read about some very costly processes to remove scratches from very expensive or impossible to replace pieces of glass, but I don't think there is any cost-effective DIY way to do this. I've tried a bunch of stuff on the original glass on my '71, and the impact is very minor at best.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let us know how that fun-house lens glass looks after it’s been “polished”

Buy a new windshield.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by coryforsenate
So there's tons of info about using compound and polish on your paint/clearcoat. Not as much about removing scratches from your windshield and it's a little confusing about what product is for what purpose, i.e. light vs med scratches.

If I wanted to remove the fine scratches on my windshield that've built up over two decades, what product should I use? I see Griot makes specific pads and a fine glass polish for their kit. I've already got a DA, so I would just need polish and pads. I also saw that Gordon Glass cerium oxide is popular.
Originally Posted by 8.Lug
Buy a new windshield.
I remember reading about a trick to remove fine scratches from a glass windshield on a car using toothpaste. Here is the link to such a recipe:

Quick Tip #43: How to Polish & Repair Scratched Glass

It is worth a try! If it don't work then you are left with being forced to buy a new windshield.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:50 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

The Z12 product I mentioned above is very close in consistency and abrasiveness to toothpaste. It won't work on anything beyond superficial markings, but it does an excellent job of deep cleaning the glass, removing otherwise bonded contaminants, and leaving the glass with a more glossy and clear appearance.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

lolwut

Glass isn’t paint. You’ve never heard of glass polishing because it’s not a thing.
Glass polishing is indeed a thing. It is not an easy task.

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...hes-glass.html

https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...out-glass.html

Old 11-13-2018, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The Guz
My windshield basically looks like the one in the second link, sans the big scratch caused by the wipers running a rock or something across. Not intending it to look brand new, but figure for $20 worth of supplies and a couple hours I can make it look dramatically better as opposed to buying a new one (which I wouldn't do, it's not THAT bad).
Old 11-13-2018, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think people who've tried it with poor results don't realize that it takes a long time to polish something as hard as glass. You're not going to polish for 30 minutes and have it go from worn out to sparkling shiny new. Reading around, people usually say it'll take 2-3 hours to polish a windshield.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

I use Cerium Oxide and a felt polishing wheel, It's a long process and won't remove enough material to eliminate many scratches and chips but will make an old glass look so much better. In most cases it's better to just replace the glass but if you're dealing with old cars and trucks they aren't always available or are to costly.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Let us know how that fun-house lens glass looks after it’s been “polished”

Buy a new windshield.
Awe damn..... You got your *** banned , Couldn't have happened to a better guy
Old 11-17-2018, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

About time! If you look through his posts 99% of it is rude derogatory statements with no tech at all.

There's a guy here in Houston that does glass polishing as a mobile business. No it doesn't take out deep scratches but any minor surface scuffs will come out.
Old 11-17-2018, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I believe it was a service but it became a liability issue so it is done like so many other things today. It sucks even more the only new windshield available for our cars is wavy & made poorly in China. I did the work, hope this helps op.
Old 11-18-2018, 02:37 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by coryforsenate
I think people who've tried it with poor results don't realize that it takes a long time to polish something as hard as glass. You're not going to polish for 30 minutes and have it go from worn out to sparkling shiny new. Reading around, people usually say it'll take 2-3 hours to polish a windshield.
I think it's more a matter of expectations. If you're looking for results that put you close to new/perfect, the reasonable DIY methods available aren't going to get you there. But improvements can certainly be made.

Originally Posted by Carguy8888
It sucks even more the only new windshield available for our cars is wavy & made poorly in China.
For this reason alone, sometimes you're better off with a flawed-but-somewhat-restored original piece.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

This is why I've done exactly nothing,I even found the factory windshield molding which an aftermarket window does not come with.
Old 11-19-2018, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I use Carpro Ceriglass and am very happy with it. As mentioned already it isnt going to give you a new windsheild, but if the proper methods it will knock out alot of the fine scratches left by wipers ect. Proper methods being a glass specific buffing pad and an able DA.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by LT4vert
I use Carpro Ceriglass and am very happy with it. As mentioned already it isnt going to give you a new windsheild, but if the proper methods it will knock out alot of the fine scratches left by wipers ect. Proper methods being a glass specific buffing pad and an able DA.
I was going to post the same thing. Ceriglass and their glass polishing pad. Also use a spray bottle of distilled water to keep things wet.

Bewares, it is freaking messy. Cover up anything you care about so it doesn't get slathered.