Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E46 ls swap ac question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default E46 ls swap ac question.

So I'm pretty much done with the swap, ls1/t56 from a 2004 gto. Its running great, all gauges working using oem ecu and ls ecu to run everything else.

I made my ac lines already and charged the system. I'm using GM compressor and everything else off the bmw.

I've never been good with wiring ac's, so here's my question... how the hell do I hook up the compressor to turn on and off with the bmw climate control?

I'm hoping e46 ls swap guys have ac and can help me out cuz it's literally the last thing I need to do on this car.

and here's a pic of it... sorry didnt take any progress pics, just want to get it done.
Old 11-16-2018, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

When you tore it apart, did you label the wire(s) that came off the BMW compressor? Might be a simple hookup.
Old 11-16-2018, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RecklessV
...so here's my question... how the hell do I hook up the compressor to turn on and off with the bmw climate control?...
Here's some info. Looks like the E46 A/C request is handled in the DME via CAN bus.

If you post in the Engine Conversions subforum on Bimmerforums, they'll probably be able to get you squared away.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 157 Likes on 73 Posts

There is a much easier way to do this

E46 LS Conversion Modules

The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (10-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2018, 05:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TipsyMcStagger
Here's some info. Looks like the E46 A/C request is handled in the DME via CAN bus.

If you post in the Engine Conversions subforum on Bimmerforums, they'll probably be able to get you squared away.
thanks! This helped a lot.

Originally Posted by PeteS160
There is a much easier way to do this

E46 LS Conversion Modules

https://youtu.be/MYHcubaA-bc
this is only for the gauges, I already got all my gauges to work without the audrino module
Old 11-18-2018, 05:44 AM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks! This helped a lot.

this is only for the gauges, I already got all my gauges to work without the audrino module
If you have time post up how you got the OEM gauge cluster to work without the Arduino solution. It may be a big help to BMW-LS swappers that aren’t using aftermarket gauges (and that seems to be the majority from my research).
Old 02-05-2022, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to dig up a dead horse but did you ever post how you got the gauges working?
Old 08-07-2022, 08:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm pretty much done with the swap, ls1/t56 from a 2004 gto. Its running great, all gauges working using oem ecu and ls ecu to run everything else.

I made my ac lines already and charged the system. I'm using GM compressor and everything else off the bmw.

I've never been good with wiring ac's, so here's my question... how the hell do I hook up the compressor to turn on and off with the bmw climate control?

I'm hoping e46 ls swap guys have ac and can help me out cuz it's literally the last thing I need to do on this car.

and here's a pic of it... sorry didnt take any progress pics, just want to get it done.
Hey I am wondering the same thing. Did you get any answers? Also interested in how you used the stock bmw ecu. Thanks