LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cam Only Firehawk Question???????

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Only Firehawk Question???????

Hi, I have a "rescue" Firehawk, a 96 Comp T/A with 103K miles, M6 Trans, 3.42 Gears & 2OTL exhaust. I got it running with a tank pump/filter & Injectors. It actually runs pretty good. I have have bought Strano Springs, Koni 4/4 Shocks, Brake Lines, New Rotors & Pads. I will address the suspension components as I run into them. I would like to install a performance cam without spending a lot of money. I don't want to go to headers as it seems like a "PIA" without a lot of gain. I have no problems gutting the cats. I was thinking something like the Lunati 60121.........219/227 with 1.5 rockers, .515/.530 on a 112 separation. Is this a valid thought? It seems like I could use the Yellow Z06 Springs & the Comp Cams 787 Retainers. Please let me know your input. This is not a "Ultimate" build.....just something to preserve & hammer. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Comp TAs are rare cars, cool you found one. As for the cam, headers aren’t anymore of a PITA to install than a cam is. I would do headers before I’d do a cam. A cam on stock manifolds is not going to break into it’s full potential. There have been guys who have ran cams with stock manifolds over the years and you can but you would want to be careful with the camshaft selection. I’d advise custom so the valve events take the exhaust breathing restriction into consideration. Many of the shelf-cams are designed for cars with free flowing exhaust. I wouldn’t want something with a ton of overlap that’s for sure. Buddy of mine recently bought a C6Z that had nothing but a mild cam. He gained 40rwhp when he swapped the good flowing LS7 stock manifolds for long tube headers, goes to show the restriction. Totally your choice but I think headers make more sense plus the car will sound badass with long tubes and the 2OTL.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:33 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Don't ever get rid of the 2OTL. There is no other single pipe cat back that sounds better. As far as a cam, if you're going to do it yourself you are looking at around a thousand dollars from start to finish, and that's not including headers. You gut your cats you will be doing the 2OTL a disservice. It will sound like a bucket of boiled ********. Guaranteed.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Comp TAs are rare cars, cool you found one. As for the cam, headers aren’t anymore of a PITA to install than a cam is. I would do headers before I’d do a cam. A cam on stock manifolds is not going to break into it’s full potential. There have been guys who have ran cams with stock manifolds over the years and you can but you would want to be careful with the camshaft selection. I’d advise custom so the valve events take the exhaust breathing restriction into consideration. Many of the shelf-cams are designed for cars with free flowing exhaust. I wouldn’t want something with a ton of overlap that’s for sure. Buddy of mine recently bought a C6Z that had nothing but a mild cam. He gained 40rwhp when he swapped the good flowing LS7 stock manifolds for long tube headers, goes to show the restriction. Totally your choice but I think headers make more sense plus the car will sound badass with long tubes and the 2OTL.
Thanks for the reply! One of the reasons I'm not doing headers is because of the scarcity of the car. If you look at the numbers, it goes down to 1 of 4 (96 6 speed hardtop & #96!), I guess it might get slimmer if you figured options. I kinda agree on having a cam spec'd. I also thought about cleaning up the exhaust manifolds, I have heard there is gains there. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Don't ever get rid of the 2OTL. There is no other single pipe cat back that sounds better. As far as a cam, if you're going to do it yourself you are looking at around a thousand dollars from start to finish, and that's not including headers. You gut your cats you will be doing the 2OTL a disservice. It will sound like a bucket of boiled ********. Guaranteed.
Thank you very much for the info on the 2OTL, I would not have imagined that. I won't do it but unfortunately.......I will never know what " a bucket of boiled ********" will sound like! Life is riddled with difficult decisions. Thanks again.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:17 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by alnukem
Thanks for the reply! One of the reasons I'm not doing headers is because of the scarcity of the car. If you look at the numbers, it goes down to 1 of 4 (96 6 speed hardtop & #96!), I guess it might get slimmer if you figured options. I kinda agree on having a cam spec'd. I also thought about cleaning up the exhaust manifolds, I have heard there is gains there. Thanks for your input.
Are you attempting to keep the car 100% factory looking by running the stock manifolds then? You could always keep the factory stuff and swap the headers back to the original stuff one day.

When I was 19, I bought a 1 of 1 optioned 8k mile Formula WS6 and completely tore into it. Wish I did some things differently so I get it if you’re trying to preserve the originality of it from a looks perspective.

If you decide to go the cam route I’d suggest giving Lloyd Elliott a call. He should be able to put something together for you. But I still vote headers haha.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StealthFormula

Are you attempting to keep the car 100% factory looking by running the stock manifolds then? You could always keep the factory stuff and swap the headers back to the original stuff one day.

When I was 19, I bought a 1 of 1 optioned 8k mile Formula WS6 and completely tore into it. Wish I did some things differently so I get it if you’re trying to preserve the originality of it from a looks perspective.

If you decide to go the cam route I’d suggest giving Lloyd Elliott a call. He should be able to put something together for you. But I still vote headers haha.
Yes, I want it to appear stock. But, I am use to stronger cars & figured a "cam only" would probably step it up a bit. It seems there is quite a bit of potential gain to be had in the cam. The rest of my work is toward preservation. I did buy lower springs & konis, but that is probably it. Thanks again.