General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Need a new AC compressor 2002 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 09:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need a new AC compressor 2002 WS6

So, my mechanic said that my AC problem (from a previous thread) was due to two AC pressure switches: an external, which he replaced, and an internal, which is part of the compressor.
Is it true that the internal cannot be removed and requires a new compressor?
If so, any recommendations?
He said it's $400 for the part. I'm seeing them for half that, but I don't know what brand is good.
I live in FL, and I certainly don't want an inferior product; my AC has been very good. My wife's car (Ford) had the AC replaced last year and it is not what it used to be, so I'm apprehensive. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

I'm sure the mechanic is marking up the price some but he's also doing the work so understandable. As for switches I know of two on the 4th Gen and most R134a systems and that's one on the dryer and the other on the line. My compressor was leaking indicated by the dye leaking out that part of the compressor that is held in by a snap ring. The seals had worn and once removed and new o-rings installed it was refilled with compressor oil and reassembled. If your going to open the system you might as well do it right and replace the dryer and orifice tube which is located in one of the lines. The switches are inexpensive so it wouldn't hurt to replace them also along with the o-ring.washer style seals for the lines. Once everything is back together you need to pull a vacuum on the system to get the moisture out and determine if you have a leak. If everything is checking out you can start to charge the system with Freon. A/C work is not rocket science and anyone who's mechanically inclined that has the tools can do repairs on R134a systems.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1,786 Likes on 1,293 Posts

On the 4th gen I think the other switch is on the compressor and not the dryer.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

check out four seasons a/c compressor from rockauto. I bought mine over 4 yrs. ago and still operates great.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:42 AM
Staging Lane

It's $400 for the part, another $100 to install. Any thoughts on OEM/AC Delco? Worth it?
There's nothing more irritating than getting something replaced, and having it not function the way it used to.
Old 12-09-2018, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by firebird967
It's $400 for the part, another $100 to install. Any thoughts on OEM/AC Delco? Worth it?
There's nothing more irritating than getting something replaced, and having it not function the way it used to.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

There is no electrical switch in the compressor IF that is your question. There is a mechanical throttling valve in the compressor that may be what you are referring to???
Old 12-11-2018, 12:38 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird967
So, my mechanic said that my AC problem (from a previous thread) was due to two AC pressure switches: an external, which he replaced, and an internal, which is part of the compressor. Is it true that the internal cannot be removed and requires a new compressor? If so, any recommendations?
He said it's $400 for the part. I'm seeing them for half that, but I don't know what brand is good. I live in FL, and I certainly don't want an inferior product; my AC has been very good. My wife's car (Ford) had the AC replaced last year and it is not what it used to be, so I'm apprehensive. Thanks in advance.
I'd be apprehensive too. We had the compressor replaced (along with the dryer, etc., everything done properly) on my son's V6 Firebird years ago and it never blew as cold as stock.

Maybe the Four Seasons is a great product, but I would go with Delphi or Denso. Delphi is GM replacement and Denso is known for excellent quality control. My guess is both brands are manufactured at the same plant, but the Denso retails for considerably more.
Old 12-11-2018, 05:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, guys. I guess I have some comparison shopping to do.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam1203
as four your sons v6 you need to check and see what the differential temps are by the evap coil. On a CCOT system it should be 0. It is likely your system is not properly charged and you are destroying the compressor by running it.
any chance you could share the procedure for doing this for us A/C illiterate folks ?

I was never happy with the cooling of mine after replacing the failed stock unit
Old 12-12-2018, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

What is described above is NOT what you have. Your car uses a GM V7 compressor variable displacement. Better read up on how it operates before attempting any system repairs. Variables use a control valve that keeps suction pressure just above evap freeze point.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 12-12-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:27 PM
TECH Addict

You're wrong and know just enough to make a mess for customers! I can only imagine the come backs you guyz have, must be enormous.

If you don't believe me just look it up online how a variable displacement V7 system works GEEEZZZ

I'm only posting up to try and help the OP

OP please do some real research online on your system. Getting advice on a forum like this is a crap shoot trust me.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep I am wrong im only SAE, MEI, and certified by Four seasons. I love that i get told I dont know what I am talking about even though I work on semis and the A/C system see 80k+ miles a year on them. I have never had a compressor failure. But you sir tought me I am wrong I should never come on a forum and try to help people thank you for correcting my ignorance.

Last edited by Adam1203; 12-12-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Good Luck dood
Old 12-13-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what I installed in my 1998 Camaro Z28 and it works Great.

https://www.rockauto.com/?tab=search...artnum=9612227
Old 12-14-2018, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ve had good luck with ac components from both rockauto and discountacparts. The key to ac repair is getting the correct oil type and oil amount in along with the correct R type charge so the compressor can live. If your compressor failed it’s recommended to replace the condenser along with the compressor/drier as it’s nearly impossible to remove any shrapnel from a unit the was downstream of a damaged compressor. You can flush the hoses and evap for reuse as long as they don’t leak.

You can “rent” the gauge manifold and vac pump needed to DIY for free from many auto parts stores. If your system had leaks you likely won’t need to recover the old R. I would also recommend a cheap scale to weigh the R when recharging. It’s not hard to do, but honestly $500 isn’t too bad either assuming that’s the “out the door” price.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

DEALERSHIP......

One thing that should be handled by the dealership....A/C. Because almost all of them offer a Lifetime Parts/Labor warranty. I paid almost $800 like 10 years ago to replace an A/C compressor and a couple other little items.......it came with that warranty.

I've since then had two brand new A/C compressors installed with supporting parts and new recharges..........FREE.

Its paid for itself two times over now. Once driving around my A/C started blowing cold...one of the electrical wires just got fried that connects to the compressor. I literally pulled in to the dealer about 15 minutes later, told them what happened. They had me going again on one hour...FREE.

Its well worth it. Call around...get different prices for compressors at different sealers around your area......some are hundreds less than others, depends how good of a thief their parts sales people are that day.

Having to remove and mail off broken parts for warranty replacement is also a JOKE..............

Old 01-26-2019, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JonnyH
Just go for four seasons a/c compressor from Rockauto. I'm very satisfied with the service n parts I received. I have ordered from RockAuto many times and been very satisfied with all of my purchases I would recommend RockAuto to any of my friends.
LOL this isn't a cheap plug is it? lmao

Old 01-27-2019, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JonnyH
Just go for four seasons a/c compressor from Rockauto. I'm very satisfied with the service n parts I received. I have ordered from RockAuto many times and been very satisfied with all of my purchases I would recommend RockAuto to any of my friends.
rockauto sucks! !!!!!!!!!! Read my post by the same name and you will find out why. I went back to buying my parts from Summit.

and by the way Summit has a "we will beat any advertised price" so you can get your best price from crockauto and then just call Summit Racing for a better price. That is what I do now.
Old 01-27-2019, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

I bought parts from rockauto and they were junk!