Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Excited to spray!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Excited to spray!

I've built and tuned a few turbo cars running up to 30psi. All small quick spooling turbo setups making over 400whp. Now it's time to play with some spray.

Car. Stock 2004 CTS-V LS6 w/76k miles

Setup I plan to run:
Nitrous Outlet wet plate kit w/150 shot
Nitrous Outlet 4an purge kit
Racetronix 255lph FP
Winmax Window switch
Monster stage 3 single plate clutch
Magnaflow catback Hptuner Wbo2 kit
Who
Hptuner

Going to lock out 1st gear and activate at 3k rpms. Pull 6* timing and shoot for high 11 afrs. Then pray I don't bomb the rear diff.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a plan! Let me know if you need anything!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bye bye diff! Hello wheel hop!
Old 12-12-2018, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Toes
Bye bye diff! Hello wheel hop!
Thats why I will lock out 1st and drive her like a grandma when I shift!

Hope it keeps it alive. HAHA.

8.8 rear will be in works if it does happen. As long as the wife dont leave me once she sees the price tag!
Old 12-12-2018, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Why high 11's for the AFR?

I'd shoot for whatever AFR it makes good/safe power at N/A.....

But the internet says run it rich......it's safe that way....

Hmmmmm
Old 12-13-2018, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Why high 11's for the AFR?

I'd shoot for whatever AFR it makes good/safe power at N/A.....

But the internet says run it rich......it's safe that way....

Hmmmmm
In my experience very little power is achieved by slightly running a leaner tune. I am going to shoot for low 12s if the motor does not knock in the high 11s. But again I'm used to running e85, 24* timing and 30psi of boost. Rich was always a bit safer.

Last edited by JayRolla; 12-13-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Run rich on spray....then add too much timing...let me know what happens

Run safe to lean on spray add too much timing...let me know what happens.

I'm not bashing you, don't take it that way. It just ******* amazes me how the internet says, run it rich...run it rich...it's safe.

That's bullshit. But I guess "how rich" you are running it should be taken into consideration.

You are going to make the best/safe power on the dope as you are N/A.

What most people don't realize is ignorance on the internet drives business.

That's why everyone runs dual springs. That's why everyone is jumping on the bushed rocker arm upgrade.

******* sheep.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using nitrous for over 20 years. You'll make the most power and be the safest in the 12.x:1 air fuel ratio range with nitrous, and some nitrous cars even run fastest in the low 13.x:1 air fuel ratio range. Richer than optimum is not safe on a nitrous motor, quite the opposite. Running rich on a nitrous motor breaks ring lands.

Too much ignition timing (not running lean) is what most commonly kills a nitrous motor and also makes less power. You gain nothing from running too much ignition timing.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Run rich on spray....then add too much timing...let me know what happens

Run safe to lean on spray add too much timing...let me know what happens.

I'm not bashing you, don't take it that way. It just ******* amazes me how the internet says, run it rich...run it rich...it's safe.

That's bullshit. But I guess "how rich" you are running it should be taken into consideration.

You are going to make the best/safe power on the dope as you are N/A.

What most people don't realize is ignorance on the internet drives business.

That's why everyone runs dual springs. That's why everyone is jumping on the bushed rocker arm upgrade.

******* sheep.
haha. Thanks for the info on running rich with nitrous. I will be taking it too a dyno after I street tune a little. 11.8 would be where I start and pull 7* timing. Then lean it out as long as I don't see knock.

I am used to turbo cars. The 1st gen DSM fuel map stock runs 9.8:1 afr and super aggressive 28* timing. I will definitely research and make my best judgement from what I have read and experienced in the past. My general rule was to run a bit rich. Pull lots of timing and lean till you see knock. Never lost a motor that way.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by '68LT1camaro
I've been using nitrous for over 20 years. You'll make the most power and be the safest in the 12.x:1 air fuel ratio range with nitrous, and some nitrous cars even run fastest in the low 13.x:1 air fuel ratio range. Richer than optimum is not safe on a nitrous motor, quite the opposite. Running rich on a nitrous motor breaks ring lands.

Too much ignition timing (not running lean) is what most commonly kills a nitrous motor and also makes less power. You gain nothing from running too much ignition timing.
Thanks for the tips. So starting in the low 12 range and pulling 7* should be a good starting point?
Old 12-13-2018, 09:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

you Sir win the internet today. You are 100% right, all day.

Running rich...too much fuel...add too much timing. That's what melts ringlands and pistons.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Post pics aferwards!
Old 12-14-2018, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JayRolla
Thanks for the tips. So starting in the low 12 range and pulling 7* should be a good starting point?
In reality, you don't get to pick what AF ratio you start at. You're going to jet it with whatever jets you have until you land in the 12.x range, where ever that might be. Let's assume that lands you at 12.2:1 according to your dyno guys wide band.......do a pull then go to the next smaller fuel jet to see where that puts you. If you have jets that will land you in the upper 12.x:1 range, that will more than likely make the most power.

DO NOT TUNE NITROUS IGNITION TIMING ON THE DYNO. The dyno won't load your car the same way the street or track will. Pull seven or eight degrees and leave it there. Ultimately, you'll need to tune the ignition timing by reading your plugs and watching your trap speeds.

Use a fresh set(s) of NGK BR7EF plugs gapped to .030

Post your dyno sheet when you're done.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:41 AM
Teching In

In reality, you don't get to pick what AF ratio you start at. You're going to jet it with whatever jets you have until you land in the 12.x range, where ever that might be. Let's assume that lands you at 12.2:1 according to your dyno guys wide band.......do a pull then go to the next smaller fuel jet to see where that puts you. If you have jets that will land you in the upper 12.x:1 range, that will more than likely make the most power.

DO NOT TUNE NITROUS IGNITION TIMING ON THE DYNO. The dyno won't load your car the same way the street or track will. Pull seven or eight degrees and leave it there. Ultimately, you'll need to tune the ignition timing by reading your plugs and watching your trap speeds.

Use a fresh set(s) of NGK BR7EF plugs gapped to .030

Post your dyno sheet when you're done.
I understand I wont get to choose where my afr is at in 1st run but I'm good at tuning after the base run to get where I want before doing another wot hit. Its fuel injected so I will be tuning with HPtuner on laptop not with a carb.

I also am installing my own wbo2 in my exhaust as that's the only way I ever tuned since I burned a valve when i was 16. Been tuning turbo cars for about 18 years.

Also the dyno I usually go to is load bearing and puts a load on the wheels but either way I'm going to pull 8* as you mentioned and most likely just leave that there.

Thanks again. I'm a nitrous newb and any info is very welcomed. Us turbo guys mainly would use a 50 shot to spool a big turbo pre launch when running an auto. That's all I know about.

Last edited by JayRolla; 12-14-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

I understand I wont get to choose where my afr is at in 1st run but I'm good at tuning after the base run to get where I want before doing another wot hit. Its fuel injected so I will be tuning with HPtuner on laptop not with a carb.
I would only recommend using the jets (fuel and nitrous jets) to adjust where your air fuel ratio ends up at while you're actually on the nitrous (unless you're running it dry). If you're running a plate or a single nozzle type wet set up, just buy every jet size within the range that you're tuning. You only need singles (not sets of 8 like a direct port) so it's very cost effective and simple to tune that way.

You only need to use HP Tuners to pull timing while you're on the nitrous by using extra resistance switched into the IAT circuit while your nitrous is armed and activated. (assuming you are not using a stand alone ignition retard box like an LNC-2000).
Old 12-14-2018, 01:24 PM
Teching In

I would only recommend using the jets (fuel and nitrous jets) to adjust where your air fuel ratio ends up at while you're actually on the nitrous (unless you're running it dry). If you're running a plate or a single nozzle type wet set up, just buy every jet size within the range that you're tuning. You only need singles (not sets of 8 like a direct port) so it's very cost effective and simple to tune that way.

You only need to use HP Tuners to pull timing while you're on the nitrous by using extra resistance switched into the IAT circuit while your nitrous is armed and activated. (assuming you are not using a stand alone ignition retard box like an LNC-2000).
That makes total sense. So tune with the jets on the wet kit. Use hptuners to pull timing and maybe light fuel adjustments to fine tune AFR. Thanks for the tip on pulling timing only on nitrous as I was wondering how I would do that and not affect my n/a tune.

I really appreciate the responses. Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Also the dyno I usually go to is load bearing and puts a load on the wheels but either way I'm going to pull 8* as you mentioned and most likely just leave that there.
8 degrees pulled is a good starting point. You'll need to learn to read plugs to dial in your ignition timing correctly. Make some passes at the track, figure out what your trap speed is and take a look at your plugs. If the timing mark on your ground strap hasn't made it into the bend then add 1 degree and run it again with a fresh set of plugs and repeat. Check the plugs......where did your timing mark end up? Safe is less than half way through the bend. If your trap speed increased, add a degree and repeat the process. If your trap speed didn't increase, then pull a degree back out and leave it there. Your goal is the highest trap speed with the least amount of total timing.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:44 PM
Teching In

8 degrees pulled is a good starting point. You'll need to learn to read plugs to dial in your ignition timing correctly. Make some passes at the track, figure out what your trap speed is and take a look at your plugs. If the timing mark on your ground strap hasn't made it into the bend then add 1 degree and run it again with a fresh set of plugs and repeat. Check the plugs......where did your timing mark end up? Safe is less than half way through the bend. If your trap speed increased, add a degree and repeat the process. If your trap speed didn't increase, then pull a degree back out and leave it there. Your goal is the highest trap speed with the least amount of total timing.
Awesome!! Thanks for all the help. I usually tuned for max brake tq on the dyno but your saying its safer to tune for max trap speed. Sounds way more fun that way anyways. Haha. I am planning on really researching on reading plugs also before I start. Thanks again as you have answered most my questions that i would normally research. This makes it much easier thanks to you.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Awesome!! Thanks for all the help. I usually tuned for max brake tq on the dyno but your saying its safer to tune for max trap speed. Sounds way more fun that way anyways. Haha. I am planning on really researching on reading plugs also before I start. Thanks again as you have answered most my questions that i would normally research. This makes it much easier thanks to you.
No problem.

Final note, I highly recommend you use an LNC-2000 to pull ignition timing unless you are very good with electronics. While I've seen a lot of good advice on how to wire up a "timing retard box", I've also seen a lot of bad advice. It's just not worth the risk if you don't have an intimate knowledge of electronics. Even if you get the circuit correct, a problem with automotive electronics is that they are exposed to extremes of temperature as well as the elements. A circuit working perfectly today may not work 8 months from now if you haven't taken these issues into account.
Old 12-15-2018, 12:30 PM
Teching In

No problem.

Final note, I highly recommend you use an LNC-2000 to pull ignition timing unless you are very good with electronics. While I've seen a lot of good advice on how to wire up a "timing retard box", I've also seen a lot of bad advice. It's just not worth the risk if you don't have an intimate knowledge of electronics. Even if you get the circuit correct, a problem with automotive electronics is that they are exposed to extremes of temperature as well as the elements. A circuit working perfectly today may not work 8 months from now if you haven't taken these issues into account.
Ive been doing computer, TV and small electronic repair for over 20 years. Have socketed and soldered eprom chips into ECU's to flash burn them. Ive wired up few different piggy backs and even converted my Eagle Talon to a gm 3" maf and then to full density.. Im now a system admin for about 100 people. So I think I could figure it out I hope!! HAHA.

I feel like I will be taking a step back in tech running jets to tune, nitrous for power and then a timing retard device instead of full ECU reflash that I am used too. But I might do as you say and just go the easy safest route. I do drive this Caddy as my DD and would like it to last a little bit.

Thanks again!