Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speakers Care

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 07:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Speakers Care

So, I have this 2002 TA that is garage kept. 8000 miles. I take it out maybe every 6-8 weeks to run it. I believe I have replaced the sail panel subs at least twice, each side. I thought they were blowing because when I take the car out, I do like my metal ,\m/ A friend said it's actually because the car sits. Is there anything I can do to condition or care for the speakers so I don't have to buy at least one a year?
Old 01-16-2019, 01:02 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by firebird967
A friend said it's actually because the car sits.
It doesn't seem logical that more frequent use would induce less wear or stress on an item such as this, though storage conditions (heat, humidity, etc.) might be a variable in this equation.

FWIW, I use my '98 car similar to yours; it gets driven every 4-6 weeks during the on season and sits all winter in storage, usually driven less than 500 miles per year at this point. Only 18k miles on the car total. I have not experienced any recurrent issues comparable to yours with the stock speakers, even with moderate to somewhat aggressive usage when I do take the car out.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

there is stuff you can put on the foam surrounds that claim longer life.....no experience with such products myself.....google it and see if it is for you
Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Another thing to consider is the usage may be the problem. The biggest enemy of speakers is audio signal clipping (a specific kind of distortion) that is caused when the volume is turned up to a level that the amp can't handle cleanly. Basically, it causes the audio signal wave to be cut off (clipped) at the peaks causing abrupt changes in signal which speakers aren't designed to handle. The free solution is to reduce the volume - that will save both your speakers and your ears. The other solution is to install a more powerful amp that can handle the output level without clipping. The factory head unit, if you still have it, is a distortion producing machine - especially at high volume. Many people don't want to replace the factory system in an effort to keep the vehicle as original as possible but that would certainly improve the sound and the longevity of components.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I've found speakers that were brittle from age, but it takes a decade for that to happen. If you're blowing them every couple years you're either overpowering them or they're being damaged by the install or their mounting location. If you turn the volume down 2 notches you should be good. And remember not to touch the membrane when unpacking/installing.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Basics first, what speaker are using? Some cheaper speakers still use a paper/pulp surround as opposed to rubber or other material. Did you use the same speaker twice? Or a different one after the first set blew? Under powering a speaker is just as bad if not worse in certain cases as over powering. Are you using factory amp if equipped or aftermarket? Or using the radio amplifier to power the speakers? If using a cross over set it so those speakers don't go below a certain hz. Sometimes basic questions like this have a little more involved.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:09 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Kriptic
... Under powering a speaker is just as bad if not worse in certain cases as over powering.
That is a myth that still seems to get repeated often. If under powering a speaker caused damage then you'd never be able to turn down the volume (reduce power).

When technicians refer to a system being "under powered", they are saying the same thing I mentioned before - the amp isn't capable of producing a clean signal at higher output levels so the signal is clipped (distorted). It's the distortion that kills the speaker, not the lack of power. You can run such a system for years without any damage as long as you don't turn up the volume to the point where the amp starts clipping.

Old 01-17-2019, 08:52 AM
Staging Lane

Long term clipping is a result of inadequate RMS or continuous power available for the volume setting. This condition may result due to an inadequate power match between the amplifier and the speakers and desired volume levels. ... Because of this problem, clipping may damage speakers due to overheating.

clipping damage is well documented and is not a myth. Its more relevant in an application that has components that are power hungry. Everyone will talk about about proper valve train setup, but setting a proper audio system is no different in that regards. Im not talking about what I've heard from people, doing car audio before i had my drivers license, I've seen it first hand. Not trying to argue or say a system won't function being unpowered for years, but there are cases where under powering certain applications will cause failure.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:55 AM
Staging Lane

And thd is important factor many don't look at. Just because you can by a boss amp rated at 1000 watts @2 ohms doesn't mean your actually getting close to 1000 watts, even cea compliant amps are tested outside and don't see it. But thd causes a big problem in alot causes.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everything is factory. No mods or additions. I don't repair; I buy new. When I buy replacement speakers, I get OEM, not aftermarket. These are sail panel subs. When there is a song with heavy bass, like Comfortably Numb, for example, I can't listen. The bass is just pops. For other songs, I push the EQ down just enough to get by.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM
TECH Resident

Long term clipping is a result of inadequate RMS or continuous power available for the volume setting. This condition may result due to an inadequate power match between the amplifier and the speakers and desired volume levels. ... Because of this problem, clipping may damage speakers due to overheating.

clipping damage is well documented and is not a myth. Its more relevant in an application that has components that are power hungry. Everyone will talk about about proper valve train setup, but setting a proper audio system is no different in that regards. Im not talking about what I've heard from people, doing car audio before i had my drivers license, I've seen it first hand. Not trying to argue or say a system won't function being unpowered for years, but there are cases where under powering certain applications will cause failure.
You just said exactly what whitebird said. The volume goes up and that sends a signal for more power which is beyond what the speaker can reach or maintain. That's exactly what overpowering the speaker means. Underpowering a speaker is sending a lower signal which is what happens when you turn down the volume. Turn it down low enough and the speaker doesn't even produce an audible sound anymore but it doesn't actually damage the speaker.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Everything is factory. No mods or additions. I don't repair; I buy new. When I buy replacement speakers, I get OEM, not aftermarket. These are sail panel subs. When there is a song with heavy bass, like Comfortably Numb, for example, I can't listen. The bass is just pops. For other songs, I push the EQ down just enough to get by.
Set your eq levers to the midpoint and just use the volume ****. You're basically fine tuning the audio to a range that the factory speakers can't handle. Your other option is to get better speakers. Remember that GM didn't use those speakers because they're great, GM used them because they were cheap to buy in bulk.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bammax
You just said exactly what whitebird said. The volume goes up and that sends a signal for more power which is beyond what the speaker can reach or maintain. That's exactly what overpowering the speaker means. Underpowering a speaker is sending a lower signal which is what happens when you turn down the volume. Turn it down low enough and the speaker doesn't even produce an audible sound anymore but it doesn't actually damage the speaker.
Im not the one who said its a myth. I was simply defending that its not a myth. Thd level plays a huge part obviously, but that doesn't mean if your running a 500 watt rms sub and pusing it with a 250 watt amp with a thd of less then <1% it wont cause issues even though the thd level really isn't a factor, pure underpowering is. You can't say its myth then say in a round about way it isnt.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bammax
Set your eq levers to the midpoint and just use the volume ****. You're basically fine tuning the audio to a range that the factory speakers can't handle. Your other option is to get better speakers. Remember that GM didn't use those speakers because they're great, GM used them because they were cheap to buy in bulk.
i suggested already setting the crossover in my top post to avoid this.....

As far as turning the volume in either direction will dictate whether it gets louder or softer is spitting out the obvious and sheds no insight whatsoever. Only thing i agree is to upgrade your speakers to avoid replacing them often and get better sound from them. Just get a nice midlevel speaker with a good rms operating range equivalent to that of what the amp is pushing out to those channels.

i won't post here anymore as it seems it gets turned into something else and google answers are better then people who actually know from experience. Good luck with your speakers.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Im not the one who said its a myth. I was simply defending that its not a myth. Thd level plays a huge part obviously, but that doesn't mean if your running a 500 watt rms sub and pusing it with a 250 watt amp with a thd of less then <1% it wont cause issues even though the thd level really isn't a factor, pure underpowering is. You can't say its myth then say in a round about way it isnt.
I think we're saying the same thing in different ways. Under-powering a speaker (i.e. simply hooking it up to an amp which doesn't produce the maximum output that a speaker can handle) by itself will never damage a speaker. That's the myth. In your example, running a 500W sub with a 250W amp will do absolutely no damage to the speaker unless you try to turn up the volume beyond the 250W capability of the amp at which point it produces damaging distortion. It's the distortion that damages the speaker. In other words, it's not the under-powering for the speaker but the over-driving of the amp which causes damage. Simply using an undersized amp with a speaker is no problem at all as long as you don't try to push the amp to the point of distortion. In fact, it's quite common to install speakers that are rated for higher power handling than the amp they're attached to.

Oh and by the way... I suspect I was installing stereo systems before you were born. It's not a question of "internet knowledge" although I'll be only to happy to point you to some references, if you like. But don't go away in a huff, there's plenty to learn from the experienced members on these forums.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-17-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:44 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I don't think the factory subs are available anymore. And even if they are, they would be just as old as what you have even though they may still be in the original packaging. As bammax said, the factory speakers were not of the highest quality although they would generally sound pretty good when new. There are aftermarket replacements which will fit well, sound great, and last much longer because of better materials. They don't have to be expensive - the Bazooka DVC 6.5" subs are very popular with members here for just under $100 a pair. You can also go much higher if you want to spend the money... CDT HD-6M subs are $200 a pair and the CDT ES-06 subs are $350 a pair but you probably don't need those top-of-the-line options for a factory system that sees only occasional use.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

I always threaten to replace my speakers for a matched set of aftermarket and then I remember how many are in a Trans Am and I just don't want to spend the money. Of course if you keep blowing oem it makes those nice new speakers a much more financially sensible option. It's almost like you don't have any other choice 😉