Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Sun visors are starting to slowly drop down while driving......any easy fix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Sun visors are starting to slowly drop down while driving......any easy fix?

This just started about 3-4 months ago. I have to keep reaching over to the passenger sun visor and push it back up. Drivers side also does it.

Not bad after 20 years....

Do I need new ones or can they be fixed?

I haven't taken them off to see what can possibly be done to fix the tension......

Old 01-16-2019, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The main rod has a flat notch cut into it. There's a metal clip that wraps around the rod and is attached to the board. When the visor is up the clip drops into the notch and holds everything in place. When the visor is down the clip gets stretched around the rod and provides the tension to keep the visor in position. If the clip isn't in line with the notch, or the clip is all stretched out, the visor will drop from vibration and gravity.

If you run your fingers down the rod you can probably feel the clip a few inches from the mount. Once you find the clip you can try to squeeze it with pliers and see if it works. The pliers may damage the cloth though so it's a risky fix.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bammax
The main rod has a flat notch cut into it. There's a metal clip that wraps around the rod and is attached to the board. When the visor is up the clip drops into the notch and holds everything in place. When the visor is down the clip gets stretched around the rod and provides the tension to keep the visor in position. If the clip isn't in line with the notch, or the clip is all stretched out, the visor will drop from vibration and gravity.

If you run your fingers down the rod you can probably feel the clip a few inches from the mount. Once you find the clip you can try to squeeze it with pliers and see if it works. The pliers may damage the cloth though so it's a risky fix.
I need to replace the cloth on both visors anyway. I'll try to remove them tomorrow.

Thanks.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

I have one sitting in my garage in pieces. I completely disassembled it to build a custom setup and then just wandered away lol

The mirror housing on the passenger side is plastic welded to the board. You need to gently try to pull the fabric out from under the mirror to keep things from breaking. I haven't the foggiest idea of how to put new fabric under there.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bammax
I have one sitting in my garage in pieces. I completely disassembled it to build a custom setup and then just wandered away lol

The mirror housing on the passenger side is plastic welded to the board. You need to gently try to pull the fabric out from under the mirror to keep things from breaking. I haven't the foggiest idea of how to put new fabric under there.

Oh damn....I figured headliner shops would just redo the cloth on them while they were doing the headliner.

We'll see....I still have to get it off.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS6427
Oh damn....I figured headliner shops would just redo the cloth on them while they were doing the headliner.

We'll see....I still have to get it off.

Definitely farm out the job. Let it be someone else's problem.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I would just delete them. Hawks sells a pair of black billet block off plates that cover the original holes nicely. Plus you gain some extra visibility without them hanging down (even while tucked up).
Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

I yanked out my drivers side visor to rebuild and never put it back. I'd say about 20% of the time I wish I had it back in the car. Once I get around to the tint I'll throw a strip across the top and hopefully that'll fix the 20% problem.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd
I would just delete them. Hawks sells a pair of black billet block off plates that cover the original holes nicely. Plus you gain some extra visibility without them hanging down (even while tucked up).
Huh....maybe. I cannot remember the last time I had to use them.

Old 04-26-2019, 06:21 PM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tbh I just removed mine. As long as you have a good pair of sunglasses you'll be fine lol
Old 04-26-2019, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

I removed mine and used Hawks delete plates to cover the holes
Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Remove them.... I made my own block plates from the stock mounts. I also installed the blue tooth phone mic for my radio in the driver side one.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

I bought some cheap plastic fleabay delete plates. Problem solved