Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L60E trans go shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

Default 4L60E trans go shift kit

I've got an 02 formula with the 4L60e and have been trying to find someone to install a shift kit for me, but no matter what shop I talk to they tell me "we don't advise installing shift kits because they can cause premature failure" I'm in the chicago area and talked to Straightline, Speed Inc., Finishline transmissions, RPM transmissions and all say the same BS. I can understand places like FLT and RPM not being able to guarantee or warranty a used trans with a shift kit and pushing me to purchase one of their $2000 transmissions..but don't feed me the BS line about how it can cause premature failure. I've personally never heard of premature failures because of a shift improver kit..if anything it should EXTEND the life of the trans with a properly installed good shift kit, if there were so many failures after installing shift kits how are they still being sold? I've read nothing but good things about the Trans Go HD2 for the 4L60e, and if I trusted myself to pull the pan and valve body and do it myself I would, but I'd rather take it to a trans shop that knows what they are doing. So with that said does anybody know of any good shops in the Chicago area that would install one?
Old 01-17-2019, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes and NO , If the trans is in great shape and the set up for the shift kit is kept mild then yes it can extend the life, However if its high mileage , is worn or has some previous damage in fact a shift kit can hasten its demise and in fact even with a Trans in excellent shape but stock if the kit is set up to aggressive this to can hasten the demise.
But sadly because Most shops have been burned more than one by the "Well you must have done something wrong it was working fine before" deal and had their reputation tarnished over it most will not do a stand alone shift kit install for this reason.

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Yes and NO , If the trans is in great shape and the set up for the shift kit is kept mild then yes it can extend the life, However if its high mileage , is worn or has some previous damage in fact a shift kit can hasten its demise and in fact even with a Trans in excellent shape but stock if the kit is set up to aggressive this to can hasten the demise.
But sadly because Most shops have been burned more than one by the "Well you must have done something wrong it was working fine before" deal and had their reputation tarnished over it most will not do a stand alone shift kit install for this reason.
Well that should go without saying if the trans is high mileage and has issues a shift kit isn't going to fix it..i get that. But if it works as it should, doesn't slip, doesn't have burnt fluid, and doesn't have a ton of miles on it I would rather install a shift kit to make it last longer than do what they suggest and just "wait till the trans goes and buy a built one" $100 for the kit and a few hundred to install it sounds much more appealing than dropping $2000+ for a built 4L60e.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes I understand and yes a properly installed kit set to mild setup in a good trans can extend its life, But as I said most shops wont do it because of liability .

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-18-2019, 12:11 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Another way around the problem is to have your transmission tuned, especially if you're using the stock converter. I wouldn't run a hi-stall converter without a shift kit, but you can get most of what you want by tuning the transmission on a stock setup.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

the TG is so simple to install .......a caveman could do it

easy instructions and there is even a instructional video on their website.....waste of money to pay someone to do it for ya
Old 01-19-2019, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installing a shift kit is fairly simple if you have a garage to put the car in and you have a jack and Jack stands and you can get the car in the air high enough to crawl under it. Then you have to be willing to have trans fluid dripping in your face while you remove the pan and the valve body. Then you need a clean place to work and you have to drill a hole in the separater plate and then put it all back again. Did I remember to say that the trans never quits Dripping - it's a real mess! Then you have to pump fluid into the oil pan - takes a lot of pumping unless you have more sophisticated equipment. Then if you didn't get it right, you'll have to tear it apart again and try to figure out what went wrong. Probably lost a ball while trying to hold the valve body in place to get it bolted up and the trans linkage connected. It can be a good afternoon's work even if you have the time, patience and equipment.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit
Installing a shift kit is fairly simple if you have a garage to put the car in and you have a jack and Jack stands and you can get the car in the air high enough to crawl under it. Then you have to be willing to have trans fluid dripping in your face while you remove the pan and the valve body. Then you need a clean place to work and you have to drill a hole in the separater plate and then put it all back again. Did I remember to say that the trans never quits Dripping - it's a real mess! Then you have to pump fluid into the oil pan - takes a lot of pumping unless you have more sophisticated equipment. Then if you didn't get it right, you'll have to tear it apart again and try to figure out what went wrong. Probably lost a ball while trying to hold the valve body in place to get it bolted up and the trans linkage connected. It can be a good afternoon's work even if you have the time, patients and equipment.
yeah i get the concept of doing it, but i just dont have all the tools, jack stands or anything at my house to do it, whenever i work on my car i do it in my dads garage and currently theres no room to keep it in a garage while i get it done..so thats out of the question.

As far as tuning it, the place i took it to get it tuned reduced torque management and changed shift points a bit but other than that theres not much you can do besides adjusting line pressure which is not a good idea.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:18 PM
Banned

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Have TM deleted 100% a shift kit is pointless with any of it there.
With the TCC valve (pwm elimination) you'll want the tcc apply speed raised.

I've done this on ramps before, theres no excuse really. If you do do it on ramps have the brake on and tires chocked because when the valve body pulls the manual link out of park you'll **** your pants when the car rocks. If you don't have it on ramps all the way the car could roll over you.
Still no reason not to do it. A shop won't do it, you don't want to, check that off your to do list and move on.