Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam base circle??

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Cam base circle??

AND YES! before anyone wants to get smart, I DID like I always encourage other people to do, I searched the web, and there is so much info it's mind boggling!I have just a general question, unless you do have actual #'s I'm just saying in general. Here Goes... Would a camshaft with these #'s have a smaller base circle then stock the cam? 224/228 .551/.551 114 LSA and any guesses as to how much? the cam is in the car otherwise I would measure it. TYIA
Old 01-19-2019, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe the stock ls1 is in the .4xx range for lift, vs the .5xx lift you have here in your cam.

More lift = smaller base circle. No one can tell you what that is. The same specced cams can have slightly different base circles depending on the type and where it's being made.

Get a pushrod length checker so you don't ruin your Valve train.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

If it's already installed, just measure the preload. It's easy, you can use the turns method and don't even have to remove the rocker. Knowing the base circle is only useful if it's out of the engine and you're just changing the cam and nothing else, then you can compare new to old values and calculate the pushrod length you need directly.
Old 01-20-2019, 02:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

FUNNY! You should both mention checking the pushrod length. I have read about that ADNAUSEUM 100 articles on how it's done and not ONE that tells me how to do it with ADJUSTABLE ROLLER ROCKER ARMS. EVERY one tells me how to do it WITH NONADJUSTABLE STOCK ROCKERS. AndyTA , I thank you, but you missed my SIG, I've got an 06 LS2 corvette STOCK LIFT was .525/.525 204/211 116 LSA, Now here is my CONUNDRUM A long time ago I got a Crane Cams Adjustable Roller rocker set. I love it! I AM GOING TO REUSE IT FOR MY NEW BUILD, I am in the process of installing a set of Trick Flow fast as cast 220's specifically designed for the LS2, AS LONG as I'm in there I'm going to replace the HYD lifters, trays, valley cover gaskets and going to ARP bolts, The CRANE CAMS KIT came with pushrods SIZED for the kit which were 7.250 long and a wonderful set of instructions to install them on already RUN lifters, HERE'S what I got as NEAR as anybody can say my STOCK pushrods were 7.400, the Crane kit supplied 7.250 THAT'S MINUS -.150. So the Trick Flows are designed to use a 7.500 pushrod given a stock gasket MLS .051 compressed thickness, Soooo the new build, 7.5000 minus - .150=7.350, NOW CRANE CAMS with MY kit wants TWO FULL TURN OF THE ADJUSTING NUT they say that this provides .082 of PRELOAD BTR say's he would to see .100 preload on LS7 lifters, I'm going back and forth between the 7.350 pushrod or the 7.375, LEANING toward the 7.375, NOW does ANYONE KNOW HOW I would use a length checker on a ADJUSTABLE ROCKER ARM? Put the length checker in bring it up to NO LASH and add the PRELOAD OR Just bring it up to NO LASH and USE THAT SIZE? TIA