Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano master brake cylinder & firewall flex help

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 12:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Strano master brake cylinder & firewall flex help

Hey everyone so long story short in attempting to install this part it turns out that my firewall is obviously flexed badly enough for this to not line up properly. Is there anyway to SAFELY get this to line up or am risking doing more damage by messing with it? The car brakes fine so as much as I'd like to keep and install the part it's not an absolute necessity. Any and all opinions are welcome.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

you dont have a front strut brace......so you need the spacer that comes in the kit.......looks like you have aftermarket upper strut mounts because the studs are really short
Old 02-18-2019, 12:12 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

The spacer appears to be installed. I think it’s the black plate under the front legs of the assembly. That might explain why the studs look short.

Has the car ever been wrecked?
Old 02-18-2019, 06:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to tell from the picture, but, looks like you could just drill and tap a new hole in the face plate that would line up with your master cylinder.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The car was in an accident about 18 yrs ago I don't know the extent of the damage I did not own it at that point. The piece doesn't fit because the part it's supposed to attach to is obviously angled upward. I took it to my local pro shop and he doesn't want to bend it back down because he fears it may crack or cause some kind of damage against the firewall. He just doesn't want to mess with bending it down to line up with the Strano part.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
Hard to tell from the picture, but, looks like you could just drill and tap a new hole in the face plate that would line up with your master cylinder.
I

Do you think it would be safe to drill a new hole higher up? I get what you're saying and now I'm wondering if that's a great idea or if installing it that way wouldn't be the best way to go since it's not drilled that way in the first place . I do like the thought process...
Old 02-19-2019, 05:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hurley711
Do you think it would be safe to drill a new hole higher up? I get what you're saying and now I'm wondering if that's a great idea or if installing it that way wouldn't be the best way to go since it's not drilled that way in the first place . I do like the thought process...
I dont think it's a matter of safety, the car currently doesnt have anything and came from the factory that way. It's just an upgrade for feel, rigidity, and longevity, so anything there is better than nothing. With that being said, looking at the "support braces" of the strano piece, they lead all the way to the top edge of the face plate. That tells me there is more than enough strength there to move the jacking bolt up to your needed location. As long the new drilled hole doesn't break out of the top most edge of the face plate I say it's good to go. You could even angle your drilled hole upward a small amount if you needed more to reach the master cylinder, but it looks to me like just moving straight up would get the job done. All it needs to do is make contact, a brace is a brace. You'll need to identify the thread size and pitch, then a simple Google search will tell you the tap drill size. You'll need a small drill bit as a pilot like 1/8", your tap drill bit, and a tap in the same size and pitch. Should be fairly easy and straight forward if you go this route. That's what I would do. Good luck!
Old 02-19-2019, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99SSLSWON
I dont think it's a matter of safety, the car currently doesnt have anything and came from the factory that way. It's just an upgrade for feel, rigidity, and longevity, so anything there is better than nothing. With that being said, looking at the "support braces" of the strano piece, they lead all the way to the top edge of the face plate. That tells me there is more than enough strength there to move the jacking bolt up to your needed location. As long the new drilled hole doesn't break out of the top most edge of the face plate I say it's good to go. You could even angle your drilled hole upward a small amount if you needed more to reach the master cylinder, but it looks to me like just moving straight up would get the job done. All it needs to do is make contact, a brace is a brace. You'll need to identify the thread size and pitch, then a simple Google search will tell you the tap drill size. You'll need a small drill bit as a pilot like 1/8", your tap drill bit, and a tap in the same size and pitch. Should be fairly easy and straight forward if you go this route. That's what I would do. Good luck!
Thanks so much! When can I bring it over so you can show me how? 😁
Old 02-19-2019, 07:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hurley711
Thanks so much! When can I bring it over so you can show me how? 😁
No problem dude. Haha whenever you'd like.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

yes you do have the plate installed.....bad view on my phone screen !

if the car has been in a wreck I would strongly suggest getting a frame shop to measure your frame to see if that may be a reason for such misalignment.........the storys i can tell on bent frames.......and it is sooooo hard to find a good frame shop ......more storys.........i have a ICAR cert in frame measurement too !!
Old 02-20-2019, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, that is way off. You can see by just how far up into the cowling that the brake fluid reservoir is that your firewall is all jacked up. I am wondering if the metal is just all "pop canned" and is just bent up where the master cylinder bolts up. Might need to get under the car and do some investigating to see if its an obvious issue with the firewall.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chrisingermany
Yeah, that is way off. You can see by just how far up into the cowling that the brake fluid reservoir is that your firewall is all jacked up. I am wondering if the metal is just all "pop canned" and is just bent up where the master cylinder bolts up. Might need to get under the car and do some investigating to see if its an obvious issue with the firewall.
​​​​​​

Yeah it's not even close right now. Better off selling the piece to someone who can bolt it right on vs me messing with bending things around that have already been twisted for quite some time?