Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LM7 head stud issue

Old 02-18-2019, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default LM7 head stud issue

I'm installing ARP studs in a LM7 5.3 I'm building and I have two holes one on each side where the bolt-stud goes through the dowel that I can't seem to get them fully seated. I have ran a thread chaser down all the holes and these two several times with no success. I have a tap ordered that is a week away but was wondering if I'm missing something? The block has been vatted, baked and shot peened and looks new and all the threads chased. I wonder what caused GM to make these M11X2, that makes it a PITA to find the correct tap.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I shoulda asked what cam to put in it.....Update, I Had to grind flats on a 5/16th rod and use a drill and lots of brake clean to get the crud out of the non tapped portion of the holes. On some of the studs I had to grind away a portion of the non threaded part of the stud to get it down far enough fully seat the threaded portion of the studs. Hope this helps....
The following users liked this post:
slowpoke96z28 (11-19-2020)

Search this Thread