Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I have A 96 Z28..last resort asking here about Bose Factory woofer size.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have A 96 Z28..last resort asking here about Bose Factory woofer size.

i have searched and searched and cannot find anything other than pictures of what i need dimensions of. I know i am in the wrong class here but I hope someone knows this.
I got a 96 Z28 with the 5 speaker Bose Gold factory system. I am looking for the dimensions or an aftermarket replacement for the factory woofer in the Bose "echobox" enclosure.
i can find plenty of ebay postings for buying the entire enclosure but i just need any information on the size depth diameter etc. If this doesnt make any sense no worries
Car has A kenwood deck with the correct line level adapter running the factory bose amplifiers. Polk 6.5 MMI coaxial door speakers and a Goodwill sourced (three tries)6 inch woofer from a small home theater subwoofer is in the factory bose enclosure now...of course its not quite the right Ohms and size but everything sounds incredible the way it is until the factory sub amp gets warm.
if anyone is thinking about ripping out the bose system in your 95-96 DONT
Thank for any help guys....
Old 03-14-2019, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Neither the GM parts manual nor service manual list the size of the rear sub in a Bose system because they consider the entire assembly (speaker, amp and box) as a single part (16196791). The speaker was not available as a separate replacement part. That being said, all the information I have indicates that the speaker is 6.5". It might be a 6.5S (slightly oversized and measures 6.75") but either should fit the mount. It's also a 1-ohm SVC speaker - an oddity in automotive sound. You could use a 2-ohm speaker there without trouble but a 4-ohm would result in a significant loss of output (wouldn't hurt the amp but you'd notice the loss of volume).
Old 03-18-2019, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for that info....i needed some idea what was servicable and what wasn't. what bothers me the most is that only with this particular 5 speaker 95-96 year Bose system prevents me from using ANY of the MTX thunderforms or JL Audio Stealthbox custom sub enclosures. Simply because the opening on the drivers side cubby hole is a tad too small for any of them to work, my hopes lie in finding a 10" enclosure designed specificallly for cars with the echobox 5 speaker Bose setup

thanks for the help...really appreciate it
Old 03-19-2019, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

I have a good working condition bose sub and box from my 95. Also have a stealth MTX box that has been discontinued for quite sometime now. MTX called it the thunder form, here's the link https://www.mtx.com/cf10a-tn-chevrol...ofer-enclosure. It no longer has the MTX sub in it, has a pioneer in it now. If your interested in any of it it's all for sale either on here or locally, shoot me a PM.