Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CTS-V 2nd gen rear brake converiosn on 98 trans am?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default CTS-V 2nd gen rear brake converiosn on 98 trans am?

Who has converted all 4 corners to a CTS-V 2nd gen brakes? The donor car was a 2011 CTS-V. The customers car is a 98 trans am with 18" wheels. Its pretty straight forward on the front drilling the caliper holes out on the spindle and using the larger bolts and using Z06 brake rotors and new brake hoses. No problem there. Now the rear this looks to be an issue. The caliper bolt holes do not even line up. I have done some searching and there is a company making a new bracket and backing plate that you pull the axles and slide these on and put the axles back in. Is this the only way? What company's are out there that offer such brackets? I found one kit that is $550 or something crazy. Any leads on a cheaper alternative? Who has done this upgrade?
Old 03-20-2019, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
Who has converted all 4 corners to a CTS-V 2nd gen brakes? The donor car was a 2011 CTS-V. The customers car is a 98 trans am with 18" wheels. Its pretty straight forward on the front drilling the caliper holes out on the spindle and using the larger bolts and using Z06 brake rotors and new brake hoses. No problem there. Now the rear this looks to be an issue. The caliper bolt holes do not even line up. I have done some searching and there is a company making a new bracket and backing plate that you pull the axles and slide these on and put the axles back in. Is this the only way? What company's are out there that offer such brackets? I found one kit that is $550 or something crazy. Any leads on a cheaper alternative? Who has done this upgrade?
You will probably not find anyone who has done this and very very few people who have upgraded the rear brakes on a 4th gen Fbody in general. And there is a good reason for that, with aggressive brake pads on the stock rear calipers you can lock up race slicks none the less street tires. So you don't want to add any more braking force in the rear if you actually want the car to stop well and be balanced. The problem is they are solid axle cars with three link rear suspension and 55/45 F/R weight distribution, they are not like the Corvette or CTS-V that have IRS and near 50/50 weight distribution that will benefit from stronger rear brakes. If you were to do an IRS conversion then larger rear brakes may help the car stop better, but not with the solid axle.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I will try to talk him out of doing the rears. Seems like a mess, then you have to get a proportioning valve to take some bite away from the rear which is making the rear swap the same as stock lol.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

http://bigbrakeupgrade.com/product/g...l-10-bolt-7-5/

http://bigbrakeupgrade.com/product/a...lt-late-model/
Old 03-25-2019, 09:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by StangEaterSS
I will try to talk him out of doing the rears. Seems like a mess, then you have to get a proportioning valve to take some bite away from the rear which is making the rear swap the same as stock lol.
You don’t need a proportioning valve according to Scott Degeer at Big Brake Upgrade. He hasn’t added one to his car and they have the stuff for this. I was quoted $750 for the parts.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

I used the Big Brake Upgrade brackets on my '57, had the 12 bolt built with F-body 7900 flanges. Pretty straight forward install as long as the axles can come out, and the brackets were top notch. I realize it's not apples to apples, but I'm using his bracket on an F-body equivalent axle flange with success.