Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls3 oil pan for ls swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls3 oil pan for ls swap

Hey everyone, i found a good deal on a new ls3 oil pan and was wondering if it would be usable with 5.3 and 1981 trans am, or is the sump too long? I haven't been able to find any info on them.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

The absolute answer would depend on the specific fore/aft location that you mount your engine at on the subframe.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

If you're talking an LS3 out of a Camaro or G8, then no, they're way too big. Probably why it's a good deal, it doesn't fit anything swap related.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

You'd be best off getting an LS1 F-body pan. Small sump, and plenty of clearance up front for the steering linkage/box. I actually have one laying around, but unfortunately I am overseas and unable to assist with that. Unless I can get my wife involved, but I don't think she wants to clean and ship an oil pan with the little free time she has lol.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies, I found a new one that was taken off a ls1 that came with the pickup and windage tray for 300 so i went with that.
Old 03-20-2019, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Hopefully is was off an F body LS1. GTO and Vette LS1 are completely different pans.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

If you paid $300.00 for a used pan you would have been better off spending another $70.00 more and get a brand
new Holley 302-2 or 302-3 which would have been a guaranteed fit with their accompanying ls swap components. Do your research paying $300.00 for a used G.M. oil pan is way way overpriced.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Like I said its new and taken off of a crate engine
Old 03-23-2019, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Your best bet is to use a swap system that has purpose built components that were engineered to work together.

Andrew
Old 03-27-2019, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BurntRubberProductns
Like I said its new and taken off of a crate engine
Even if it is new and taken off a LS3 crate engine, you would have a hard time giving it away much less getting someone to pay $300.00 for it. Unless you can find another uninformed person as yourself, which don’t get me wrong there are plenty of them out there.
Old 03-30-2019, 10:48 PM
Teching In

ls3? Reread the thread before you act like an ******* breh.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Hey everyone, i found a good deal on a new ls3 oil pan and was wondering if it would be usable with 5.3 and 1981 trans am, or is the sump too long? I haven't been able to find any info on them.
I make my point, sorry if I came off as rude, but the reason you haven’t found any info on them is because it won’t work without major and costly modifications. Maybe you should do some more research before coming off as a know it all and when multiple people are giving you sound advice you still think you know better.
Continue on with your LS3 oil pan and see how far you get before throwing it in the scrap pile and see if you come back on here and show your progress and man up to it.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 194 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
I make my point, sorry if I came off as rude, but the reason you haven’t found any info on them is because it won’t work without major and costly modifications. Maybe you should do some more research before coming off as a know it all and when multiple people are giving you sound advice you still think you know better.
Continue on with your LS3 oil pan and see how far you get before throwing it in the scrap pile and see if you come back on here and show your progress and man up to it.
He said in post #5 he got one off of an LS1 crate e gine, not an LS3, although I have not seen a new crate LS1 in a long time.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Do yourself a favor, go with parts that were designed to work together.

https://www.holley.com/products/ls_p...ap_components/

Andrew
Old 03-31-2019, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

Lesseee….. Finds a good deal on a pan he does NOT know will fit, BUYS it for an exorbitant amount of money, STILL not knowing if it fits.... oh yeah, makes perfect sense to me!
Old 04-01-2019, 03:04 AM
Teching In

I hope you can man up to your mistake...

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Lesseee….. Finds a good deal on a pan he does NOT know will fit, BUYS it for an exorbitant amount of money, STILL not knowing if it fits.... oh yeah, makes perfect sense to me!
Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be either of your strong suits...

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
He said in post #5 he got one off of an LS1 crate e gine, not an LS3, although I have not seen a new crate LS1 in a long time.
Thanks buddy Its a guy selling them from his house near me and he has a few, so I'm assuming he's had them for a while, but they show no sign of use at all.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:32 AM
TECH Resident

I’ll man up, if it is off a LS1 crate engine it still probably won’t work with out major modifications to the pan or subframe or both on your project vehicle you mentioned, as mentioned earlier, a LS1 crate engine oil pan take off would be pretty rare, most people think all LS engines are LS1’s

If it is a crate LS1 engine oil pan it is more than likely a Fbody pan, those can be had for around $250.00 or even cheaper brand new with windage tray and dipstick all day long from multiple G.M. sources, if it is a GTO LS1 oil pan (front sump) it definitely will not work for your application, either way good luck it’s your time and money to do as you wish, live and learn.

Last edited by lizeec; 04-01-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Go up a few posts and take Andrew's (ProjectGatTagO) advice. My reading comprehension is fine, and you still come off as a know-it-all who got hosed on a pan purchase before doing any homework on it.
Old 04-01-2019, 11:41 AM
Teching In

I’ll man up, if it is off a LS1 crate engine it still probably won’t work with out major modifications to the pan or subframe or both on your project vehicle you mentioned, as mentioned earlier, a LS1 crate engine oil pan take off would be pretty rare, most people think all LS engines are LS1’s

If it is a crate LS1 engine oil pan it is more than likely a Fbody pan, those can be had for around $250.00 or even cheaper brand new with windage tray and dipstick all day long from multiple G.M. sources, if it is a GTO LS1 oil pan (front sump) it definitely will not work for your application, either way good luck it’s your time and money to do as you wish, live and learn.
How about you show people you show people a little respect before being completely wrong and looking like a complete fool? I know a front sump wont work, i just asked a simple question if an ls3 one would work. Even when you know you completely dropped the ball by not seeing that i got the right one you still gotta look like you're right, and I'm the know it all right?

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Go up a few posts and take Andrew's (ProjectGatTagO) advice. My reading comprehension is fine, and you still come off as a know-it-all who got hosed on a pan purchase before doing any homework on it.
How do i come off as a know it all exactly and how do you know i didn't do any homework? I asked a simple question and then said I got the correct one and you two came at me thinking i got the wrong one without thoroughly reading my entire sentence where it says i got the ls1 pan.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

You stated that you got an LS1 oil pan. You did NOT state which application it is for. There are a few different LS1 oil pan applications. So you still don't know whether or not it will fit YOUR application. That is what I meant by doing your homework.