Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

2001 C5 Z Add Fuel Return Line

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 C5 Z Add Fuel Return Line

I have a 2001 C5 Z That I'm installing the Racetronixx DYI dual fuel pump kit to support 1000 hp. It might be a little overkill for my car since it will probably only make 650 sh rwhp on E85. My question is what would be the most simple way to add a return line with out having to run all new lines. I have read I can run the 98 style filter and then use the factory return line as a true return line. I also need to add an aftermarket regulator in the front. if any one has done this or has any diagrams that would be great.
Old 03-30-2019, 11:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 02silverstang
I have a 2001 C5 Z That I'm installing the Racetronixx DYI dual fuel pump kit to support 1000 hp. It might be a little overkill for my car since it will probably only make 650 sh rwhp on E85. My question is what would be the most simple way to add a return line with out having to run all new lines. I have read I can run the 98 style filter and then use the factory return line as a true return line. I also need to add an aftermarket regulator in the front. if any one has done this or has any diagrams that would be great.
Hey buddy, what did you end up doing? I'm at the point where I need to design my fuel setup.
01z06 fresh dealer ls6, 7875 vsr turbo..
Old 03-31-2019, 10:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I am doing something similar on my Cobra. Maybe I am missing what you are saying, but the filter set-up you are talking about has the regulator built in, which is why it is so widely used. If you are going to run a regulator on the rail, you probably want a return line from that regulator back to the tank. I would also guess you will need an upgraded filter to be able to handle the flow of the dual pumps. I doubt most factory filters will handle that much, but without checking, I am not 100% sure.

I have twin pumps teeing into a filter with a -8an line running to the rails. My regulator is on the rail and I have a -6an return line back to the tank. Pretty much exactly like the Racetronix site is suggesting.

From their site:

Q3. Do I need to upgrade fuel lines?
A3. The factory fuel lines in the C5/C6 Corvette are good to a point. The biggest problem for high-HP applications is the regulator being located inside the fuel module. While this is good for reducing production costs and emissions it is not for stable fuel pressure at the motor. This is because the regulator has no way to compensate for feed-system pressure drop. We typically recommend adding a front mount regulator and -6 Teflon return hose for all applications that require a dual pump system. This will also reduce the required injector size (ease tuning) assuming the fuel pressure is boost referenced. This will help maintain a constant pressure differential across the injector.

Q4. How do I prepare my fuel system for a front-mounted regulator?
A4. The following items will be required to install a front-mounted regulator and return line.
1. 90-degree -6 bulkhead fitting with seals for the fuel return on top of the pump module
2. A length of -6 Teflon braided hose to run between the regulator's return port (engine compartment and the FPM return bulkhead.
3 A 3/8" Push-loc tee system placed between the fuel rail and feed line.
4. A short length of -6 Teflon hose between the tee system and the regulator's input port.
5. A regulator block off plug to replace the FPM's regulator.
6.A jet-pump regulator bypass for the P/S tank.

Above 1000HP we recommend a -8 Teflon hose to replace the factory feed line as well as -8 fittings being welded to the factory LS2/LS3 rails for better fuel distribution The proper fittings and Push-loc adapters are required.

Q5. Does this kit maintain the jet-pump / venturi functionality of the factory fuel pump module?
A5. Not it does not. The pump assembly displaces too much volume in the factory module to be effective and therefore access ports must be made to ensure proper fuel reaches the high-flow pumps. This requires that a reasonable level of fuel must be maintained to prevent fuel starvation under hard acceleration and cornering..
Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Not trying to be a dick but you want a 1000hp fuel system and dont want to run new lines? You will over-think and cause more issues down the road by trying to make stock 300hp lines work. Bite the bullet, run lines, and be done with it forever.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was starting to think fuel pump on a budget for my turbo build but in the future I want to be over 800rw. So I'm prob gonna drop 1k on fuel system vs 500-600.
Custom bucket with 525 pump new brackets blah blah in tank then new lines and reg on stock rails should support 1k hp if needed. Then the best tuner I can think of.
Spend 500+ more now to save butt in the future