General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Keys Locked in 97 TA T-Top WS6

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys Locked in 97 TA T-Top WS6

Any help would be appreciated. I had my battery disconnected while I was doing work on it. I reconnected the battery and heard the doors lock, and said "oh ****" my only set of keys inside! Any tip on how to break in my TA? Smart A$$ comments and non advise I don't need right now. Boys that have nothing better to do than troll on line and play with themselves please just pass on by my request. I'm a single broke girl in need of a little help! Thanks, Danni
Old 03-25-2019, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1,785 Likes on 1,293 Posts

You will need to get your hands on a piece of wire maybe 1/4" in diameter and come in from the side window at the back side. Bend the wire as your pushing it into the cab until you can push the locking arm to the open position.

There's always your local locksmith!
Old 03-25-2019, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

So glad my 1LE has no power door locks just for that reason..

GL buddy.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a thin piece of aluminum from ace, it was about 24 inches long, 1/8 inch thick and by one inch wide, came from the back of the window pull the glass out a little slide it to the front and I hit the unlock button instead of trying to move the slider, it easy to bend in the shape you need.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:08 AM
Teching In

I have an ace hardware by me, I'll stop after work and grab a chunk, thanks so much!

Danni
Old 03-26-2019, 08:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Once you get the door open, you might consider programming the lockout protection feature in the keyless entry system.

Here is the information on programming from your owner's manual (you want the lockout prevention option):

PROGRAMMING THE FACTORY ALARM

ENTERING PROGRAMMING MODE

To program features, the car must be in programming mode.

1) Turn key to RUN position.
2) Turn key to OFF position.
3) Remove the RADIO fuse in the main fuse panel.
4) Turn the key to ACC

You should hear a chime to verify that the system is in the programming mode.
1 chime means you can program Exit Lighting, Delayed Illumination, Last Door Closed Locking and Lock Out.
2 chimes means your car is equipped with Content Theft-Deterrent System so you can also program Remote Keyless Entry Verification, Arming Method, Arming Verification, Driver's Door Delay and Shock Sensor Enable.

EXIT LIGHTING & ILLUMINATION

With exit lighting, your interior lamps will come on for up to 25 sec. when the key is removed.
With Delay Illumination, your interior lamps will come on and stay on for up to 25 sec. when entering the car and up to 5 sec. when leaving the car.
To change the factory setting...
1) Turn the courtesy lamps on by turning the instrument panel brightness control **** all the way up.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. The number of chimes tells you which mode you are in.
3) Turn the courtesy lamp switch off.
4) Turn the switch on and off until you hear the number of chimes that correspond to the mode you want to be in.

MODE 1 Both Off.
MODE 2 Delayed Illumination Only.
MODE 3 Exit Lighting Only.
MODE 4 Both On.

LAST DOOR LOCKING & LOCKOUT PREVENTION

To change the setting...
1) Press the LOCK switch on the door.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. The number of chimes tells you which mode you are in.
3) Press the LOCK switch on the door until you hear the number of chimes for the mode you want to be in.

MODE 1 Both Off (Door will lock and unlock when you press the door lock switch)
MODE 2 Lockout Prevention Only (If you leave your keys in the ign. and leave thru the driver's door, you won't be able to lock the doors with the power door lock switch.)
MODE 3 Last Door Closed Only. (If the power door lock switch is used to lock the car while any door is open, you will hear 3 chimes. The doors will not lock until all the doors are closed.)
MODE 4 Both On. (This combines Mode 2 and 3.)

REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY VERIFICATION

To change this setting...
1) Press the UNLOCK button on the remote transmitter.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear. This tells you which mode you're in.
3) Press the UNLOCK button on the remote until you hear the number of chimes that correspond to the mode you want.

MODE 1 All Off. (The head lights will not flash and the horn will not sound)
MODE 2 Horn and Lamps/Lamps (Your horn will sound and your parking lights will flash when you press the LOCK button on the transmitter. Only the parking lamps will flash when you press UNLOCK)
MODE 3 Horn and Lamps (Your horn will sound and the parking lamps will flash every time you press LOCK or UNLOCK)
MODE 4 Lamps (The parking lamps will flash when you press LOCK or UNLOCK)
MODE 5 Lamps/Horn and Lamps (Lamps will flash on the first press on LOCK, your lamps will flash and the horn will sound on the second press on LOCK and the lamps will flash any time you press UNLOCK)

THEFT-DETERRENT VERIFICATION

1) Press the LOCK button on the remote.
2) Count the number of chimes you hear.
3) Press the LOCK button on the remote until you hear the number of chimes you want.

MODE 1 All Off (No horn chirp or lamp flash)
MODE 2 Horn and Lamps (Your lamps will flash and the horn will chirp twice)
MODE 3 Horn and Lamps/Lamps (If you use the remote to arm the system, your lamps will flash and the horn will chirp twice to verify the system is armed. If it only chirps once, the hatch is open or unlatched. If you use either the power door lock switch or passive arming, only the lamps will flash for verification)

THEFT DETERRENT ARMING METHOD

1) Press the UNLOCK switch on the door.
2) Count the number of chimes
3) Press the UNLOCK switch on the door until you are in the mode you want.

MODE 1 Alarm System Off (System will not arm)
MODE 2 Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter Lock (When you lock the doors using the remote, the system will arm itself)
MODE 3 Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter/Power Door Lock Switch (If you use the remote or the power door lock switch to lock the doors, the system will arm)
MODE 4 Passive Arming and Remote Keyless Entry Transmitter/Power Door Lock Switch Arming (The system will arm itself after all doors are closed plus arming per MODE 3)

DRIVER'S DOOR ALARM DELAY AND SHOCK SENSOR ENABLE

1) Turn the parking lamps on and off
2) Count the chimes
3) Turn the parking lamps on and off until you hear the number of chimes you wany

MODE 1 Zero Delay and Sensor Disabled (The alarm will sound immediately if the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be disabled)
MODE 2 8 Second Delay and Shock Sensor Disabled (The alarm will sound 8 seconds after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be disabled)
MODE 3 Zero Delay and Shock Sensor Enabled (The alarm will sound immediately after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be active)
MODE 4 8 Second Delay and Shock Sensor Enabled (The alarm will sound 8 seconds after the driver's door is opened with your key and the shock sensor will be active)

LEAVING PROGRAM MODE

When programming is done, turn the ignition to OFF and replace the RADIO fuse.
Buying a spare key might not be a bad idea either. The door key is cheap and can be done at any hardware store. The ignition key is more problematic because of the resistor pellet for the security system but any good locksmith should be able to set you up. You can also get spare remote key fobs pretty cheap on ebay and program it yourself.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Teching In

That's super helpful, TY......I know better, I just bought the car and didn't get a door key made yet. I will.....my pcm is going to a tuner and I think the security can and will be programmed out. Wish me luck on my quest to break in tonight to my own car.....lol
Old 03-26-2019, 08:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Unfortunately, you can't program out the vehicle anti-theft system (VATS). It is in the body control module (BCM) which isn't programmable. It blocks the car from starting in two ways - it disables the fuel enable signal to the PCM and it removes the ground that controls the starter relay. You can program the PCM to ignore the missing fuel enable signal but you can't fix the starter relay issue without rewiring the relay ground (pretty easy... just cut the yellow/black wire under the starter relay and run the relay end of the wire to a good chassis ground). But even if you do that, you'll still have a constant security light in the instrument cluster. Installing resistors is the only VATS bypass that has no side effects.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can call me on my cell and I can talk you through getting the aluminum into the window, the spare key is simple to get, I ordered my spare through Amazon, all you have to do is measure the ohm value on the ignition key pellet, there are like 14 different keys with a number that equates to the resistance value after you buy the key, ACE can cut a new one, door key too. Pm me if you need any help. I'll give you my cell number.

Mike.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 01CamaroSSTx
You will need to get your hands on a piece of wire maybe 1/4" in diameter and come in from the side window at the back side. Bend the wire as your pushing it into the cab until you can push the locking arm to the open position.

There's always your local locksmith!
Are you are auto locksmith near me can help a bit ?
Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Also FYI lots of car insurance companies include lockout service, I know I have that through Geico. If it's included just call.
Old 07-13-2019, 11:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by qweedqwag
You can call me on my cell and I can talk you through getting the aluminum into the window, the spare key is simple to get, I ordered my spare through Amazon, all you have to do is measure the ohm value on the ignition key pellet, there are like 14 different keys with a number that equates to the resistance value after you buy the key, ACE can cut a new one, door key too. Pm me if you need any help. I'll give you my cell number.

Mike.
I recently had a new set of keys made up for my car by the local GMC dealer. Only cost $40.00 for genuine GM keys. Any GM dealer can get the resistor code off of your ignition key if they do not have the key blank available.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 799 Likes on 609 Posts

Borrow your wife's diamond ring and cut a hole in the t top. Reach your hand in and open the t top. Replace t top.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:32 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

... or you could get a proper glass cutter for around $10 if you don't want to annoy "she who must be obeyed".
Old 12-03-2019, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

One would hope the keys were recovered in last 4 months!!
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (05-21-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Thumbs up

I'm sure that after 1 year and 2 months, she already accessed her vehicle.