Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on trans options.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Opinions on trans options.

Alright guys I'm about ready to decide on what tranny I want. Project is a 68 lemans. Ls1 with brute speed cam. Thinking 8 to 10 psi via turbo. Possibly a 7875. Talked with a local guy to do trans so it looks something like this.
Option 1.
Stock rebuilt 4l80e $12 -1300
Core 4l80e and Jake's performance stage 2 rebuild. Call it $1100
Turbo 400 built to hold 800 hp $14-1500.

Realistically this car will be a fun cruiser with 95% street and local car shows. Thinking a rear gear in the 3.50s to 3.70s so would I really miss the extra gear from the 80 if I go to the 400? I'm planning on going with the holley terminator x so either way it doesnt matter. Side note I'd also like to add in. I have personally never rebuilt a transmission but I am mechanically inclined and spend some time working on cars, plus I plan on buying the manual from Jake's so theres that lol. Would like to hear any comments, concerns, opinions, ect. Thanks guys.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Launching!

The turbo 400 is upgraded to hold 800 horse where the 4l80e is bone stock. I'm just throwing out what the guy at the shop told me and what iv found out. I dont plan on making a build thread for much of anything so I think we are good there lol.

On a side note what's the degree of difficulty for rebuilding a 4l80e? List of specialty tools? That seems to be the cheapest option and would put me at the 750 hp range with the stage 2 kit.

Last edited by cypris09; 04-24-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

Lets just make this simple...

Jake's is offering you a rebuilt 4L80E with some upgrades (i don't know what his level 2 is, but it has to be better than stock) for $1,100?
VS a stock rebuild, offered to you for $1,200+... Then the 4L80E level 2 from Jake's HAS TO BE your answer.

What more is there to think about for a vehicle that is 95% driven to car shows.
Jake's products have been great! There should be no contest! :-)
If you are on the east coast try CK performance in NY.

Supporting 800+ HP through either transmission is an easy task. Three hard parts at a minimum with hydraulic changes are all that is needed.
A turbine shaft, a forward clutch hub, and a 34 element sprag (stock in 4L80E), with pump and valve-body modifications will get it done.

I personally prefer to make several thrust washer to torrington bearing changes, bushing changes, and seal (especially in the THM400) changes as well.
There are quite a few other minor changes that I prefer to make, however not necessary...
They reduce internal friction/ drag, reduce temperature, reduce circuit leaks, increase lubrication and over all extend transmission life while reducing HP loses that are normally consumed through the transmission.

Last edited by vorteciroc; 04-24-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:05 AM
Launching!

The Jake's option is if I rebuild it. If I bought it from him built it would be over 3k vs me buying his rebuild kit. To me it makes sense but I guess I just dont want to be 1100$ in a trans and not be able to get the rebuild done for some reason or another. Idk if just always avoided rebuilding transmissions and it seems like around here everyone is still pushing old school stuff.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Jays_SSZ28
I don't find it difficult, in my opinion it's one of the easier transmissions to build. Bushing drivers is really the only special tool I use. I do this as a hobby, I don't do it for a living BTW.
Iv been talking to a few guys that have rebuilt a few turbo 350s and 400s and they say grab a book and do it. I honestly dont know why I keep trying to talk myself out of rebuilding it. I think I'm just gonna say screw it and just rebuild it myself
Old 04-25-2019, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1,204 Likes on 844 Posts

An ATSG book would a recommended guideline for a STOCK rebuild...

So there is always going to be information disregarded from those books for a performance rebuild. especially regarding clearances.

Where you have gained experience is the more valuable asset... the book is there if you forget something basic as a DIYer.

Personally, I wish I could get these things out of my head, I need a vacation from them at the shop.
Old 04-26-2019, 03:04 AM
Launching!

I'm definitely the guy that uses a torque wrench lol. Sounds like Jake's stuff comes with some instructions too as well with suggesting the book. I think that's the plan. Also after reading and actually seeing the transmission ripped apart, I think its definitely something that I can accomplish. I'm about a month or two out from actually doing it but I'll have to let you guys know how it goes.Thanks for the insight on this.
Old 05-18-2019, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

I will say building a 80e, is easier than a 60e. There is one thing to watch for on a 80e though. There are 2 lip seals that are virtually the same size, but the lips are opposite of each other. If you put these in the wrong location, the trans will work for about 10 minutes, until it gets the fluid warm enough to cause a massive internal leak. I believe it is the 2nd apply piston and the center support but I could be wrong about which parts.
Old 05-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the heads up. I'm either waiting for a core or on a decent price on a good one then eventually rebuild later.