Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Wise Elders Please Help a Noob - Oil Analysis - 383 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wise Elders Please Help a Noob - Oil Analysis - 383 LT1

Hi All,

I got a 383 built by TPIS (approx 40k miles on it) and I am trying to determine if it has internal damage from examining the oil. I drove the car and it has passed my compression checks (140psi avg) but I am worried based off of what you can see in the pictures below. I am also posting this stuff on Bobistheoilguy.
  • How much sludge on the mag plug is normal?
  • After sitting for a year is this black sludgy oil normal in the drain pan? Is it ever normal?
  • The metal flakes collected and wiped from the magnet (many small, 1 large bit.) What are they indicative of?
  • Would you run this motor? No idea when the oil was changed last so I don't know how many kms it has been collecting this metal over.
  • Going to take apart the filter in a bit.
Just looking for opinions from those more knowledgeable than myself. I have been repairing cars for a while but once you get into the motor I have little practical experience.

Silver Sheen

Oil Separated

Found Steel

Mag Plug Goo

Plastic Bits - Gasket?

Flexks and dark oil

Metal in Oil

Doesn't stick to magnet- not sure how much may have flowed past.

Motor has sat 1 year+. Is this separation normal, is the black sediment normal anytime?

Black sediment from sump.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Here are some pictures of the main bearings:

Front 1

Front Crank

2-2

2 Crank

2 Crank-2

3-crank

4-Crank

5 - Rear

5 - Rear - 2

5 - Rear - Crank

Motor Rear

Motor Front
Old 05-20-2019, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

Metal looks like bearing material, and the main bearings look pitted. Why are you disassembling? I'd pull the rod caps inspect there, hard to see in the pics but the crank looks ok, any idea what oil pressure was? If you're suspect of something else like cam bearings now is the time to yank it all apart, mic everything and toss new bearings and gaskets in it.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

oil looks not so great. a couple small flakes on the drain plug or just some sludge is no big deal. all that metal you see in your pictures is not normal. looks like you'll need new bearings.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:02 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies guys! My Uncle had the same questions and suggestions so it looks like it's a bottom end spruce up in order.

@biketopia I was disassembling to just replace the oilpan as I'm putting this motor in an 85 S-10 and thought I would poke around more after I saw the condition of the oil. I drove the 96 Firebird donor car 2 hours before I took it apart and aside from bucking a bit when I put in Regular fuel, like an idiot, there seemed to be no issues with the motor. The car had a bad vibration that I thought was transmission or driveshaft. I didn't check the oil pressure but all the gauges where checked and no red flags, wish I would have payed more attention now.

It looks like I will take the crank out for polishing, new bearings, try not to do anything stupid on reassembly, and massive oil flush when it's back together and in the new truck.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2019, 11:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 95 Likes on 84 Posts

if you're that far I'd really want to get a gasket set and pull it all apart, a case of parts cleaner and check and clean everything, cam bearings and all.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

First thing i thought of when i saw the pics is fuel contamination in the oil.