General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

Trans Am bucking/stalling, all dash lights flash

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 06:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am bucking/stalling, all dash lights flash

Hey all. My Trans Am (2000, M6) has been acting weird the last few weeks. It will stall for a half a second, all the dash lights will flash at once and it will roar back to life on its own without completely stalling out. This has happened about 5 or so times now, the first four were just after starting the car and not letting it warm all the way up after stopping at a stop light and accelerating slowly.The last one happened tonight, I was doing some mild spirited driving, shifted to 3th at about 4k rpm and it did it again but it was a lot more concerning because I was going about 70 mph. Every time the traction control was turned on, but I didn't loose grip anytime it acted this way. It has an MS3 cam with a 110 lsa so I'm using to the shaking and violent surges but this is a lot different. Anybody else ever experience this?
Old 05-19-2019, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

The dash lights will flash in the moment that the rpms drop enough to cut alternator power. When the rpms come back up the alternator cranks out the volts and the electrical system gets happy again.

I'd be searching for what's causing the stalling. Start with vacuum leaks and fuel pressure since those are the most common issues. If there are no leaks and pressure at the rail is good under all circumstances then you have to dig in deeper.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Check and clean all your grounds. Loss of power turns the fuel pump on and off and all other kind of weird stuff