Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to clean diamond plate?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2019, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 383 Posts
Default How to clean diamond plate?

So I bought a toolbox for 30 bucks for my 1997 Chevrolet pickup. Its a diamond plated toolbox. Here is a pic. I got lucky on buting the box as its it great shape .... no rust or dents.

But my problem is that the box is dull looking and ill really like to make her look new again. Anybody have any advice or tips on how i can make the toolbox look new again? Here is a pic by the way.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 474 Likes on 354 Posts

Superior Products Aluminum Polish Just follow the directions and don't leave it on to long. It's acid based so be careful when using. If you really want it to shine Mothers aluminum polish but you'll put some effort into it but the results are great.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

easy-off oven cleaner will bubble all that crap out of it's pores, spray wait 5 - 10 minutes. that buff with .0000 steel will pad
Old 05-25-2019, 01:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

Use stainless wool not iron wool.... The iron steel wool will leave iron embedded in the aluminum and it will turn brown..

Wheel cleaner works on the Protec boxes pretty well.
Old 05-26-2019, 08:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Wow!! So many different opinions.....
Old 05-26-2019, 12:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Acid based cleaners will quickly remove gunk & clean out pores in metal giving a light shiny appearance, but not quite the same type of appearance as a polishing with metal cleaners. AC coil cleaner available from homestores can also work as a spray scrub & rinse type product.

YES , there will be multiple oninions on how to do this. None are ever necessarily completely wrong or completely the best way as hard work will always be the main ingredient here. no one right or wrong way...……..

You could start off with a quick spray, scrub , & rinse with acid base cleaner, then switch to a suitable metal polishing compound, which everyone will have a different opinion of. Up to you if you want to include steel or stainless steel wool for more abrasive polishing action along with a polish. I prefer either white or green colored liquid polishes, not naming any brands.You could skip the acid cleaning & go straight to compounds, dirtying more rags.

Now for the method I'd prefer having the equipment for your situation... A quick acid cleaning removing contaminants followed by a low speed grinder with 6" to 8" professional metal buffing wheels using white stick compound.
Again , methods are your choice. try something yourself & just get to work. Rubber gloves aren't a bad idea either. Can actually polish some finer aluminum surfaces such as billet wheels just with rubber gloves & a good choice of compound.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Might head to harbor freight and get me a buffer.