Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I looking at a tow back to the tuner ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I looking at a tow back to the tuner ?

I’ve got a 5.3 out of a 2010 Silverado swaped into a 1993 Toyota Land cruiser

One of the two big plugs into the engine control module, had lost its plastic top cover. Without first disconnecting the batter, popped off the plug to wrap some tape around the wires & plug.

Now it turns over, but does not start. Did I blow its programming by removing the plug, while the battery was connected ?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I couldn't really see how.

Pin x1-20 on a e38 ECM is a constant battery hot. That's the only hot wire going to the ECM when the vehicle is off. By unplugging the ECM, it should be no different than disconnecting a battery cable.

Much more likely, is by messing with that plug, you dislodged a poor connection. Either a wire wasn't crimped to its terminal correctly, a terminal wasn't seated squarely in the connector, or you revealed a broken wire, that until now had been just barely making contact.

First diagnosis is to see if the ECM is turning on at all. Does the "check engine" light come on when you turn the key? Do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?

If the ECM is coming on, check for trouble codes. Also shoot it up with starting fluid and see if it fires then.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im getting an OBDII code of P2122

and I do not hear the fuel pump priming before the start. Does this help point to some places to check ?
Old 05-26-2019, 04:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't really have experience with these engines, so I can only theorize...

That code would indicate something is wrong with your throttle pedal connections. Thus, I assume you disconnected the x1 connector on the ECM, since all the throttle connections are on that one. I would suggest isolating and inspecting the six throttle wires near the ECM plug, and look for trouble there.

I'm surprised the engine doesn't run with the throttle partially disconnected. I've been told it usually does.

Pin-outs for a e38 ECM are here. I'm assuming you're using a e38. My 2010 LMG(5.3) has a e38 ECM, so I'm figuring yours is the same.

It's possible too, that you damaged something else more critical than just the throttle connections, when you re-arranged that connector. Not everything will show up in the codes.

If none of the above fixes the problem, you will need to go through that harness and check for solid connections on every wire. It won't be easy, but you'll learn how it works and is put together.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with Kipps, something didn't get reconnected right. No real way to troubleshoot this over the internet, you just have to get in there are start verifying connections. Shouldn't need a "tuner" for that, any good garage should be able to fix this.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 502 Likes on 326 Posts

If the engine ran before you played with the connector, check all your pins on both male and female side, make sure nothing is bent or has dirt in it. Make sure the connector is seated properly.