Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Bronze Shift Pad Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Bronze Shift Pad Problem

So I'm rebuilding a t56 to go behind the Lt1 and I'm having an issue with the bronze shift fork pads in the 5-6 synchro sleeve. I replaced the 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6 synchro sleeves and got bronze shift pads. The pads in the 1-2 and 3-4 sleeves are loose like the plastic ones are, the 5-6 sleeve is very tight, it takes quite a bit of effort to even slide the shift fork into the slider with the bronze pads. I swapped and put some new plastic ones I had in and it slid in easy like the 1-2 and 3-4. I'd really like to use the bronze pads, I really don't like the idea of plastic in my transmission. I cant find anythjng else about this on the internet so does anyone had this happen? Thanks
Old 06-16-2019, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If the bronze pads just slip on, they will end up walking on the fork and prematurely wear out. A lot of builders will actually epoxy them to the fork to keep it from moving around once installed.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by AMP-D
If the bronze pads just slip on, they will end up walking on the fork and prematurely wear out. A lot of builders will actually epoxy them to the fork to keep it from moving around once installed.
All the pads snap into the fork tightly, I'm talking about how it fits inside the synchro slider sleeves. The 5-6 fork with the bronze pads will barely go into the sleeve, its very tight. 1-2 and 3-4 fit snug in there but the sleeves can spin in the fork easily.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I misunderstood your comments. Its possible the fork pads for 5/6 weren't installed perfectly straight causing them to flare slightly upon installation. It will probably be fine but without seeing it, its hard to say for certain.
Old 06-17-2019, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Ok, I misunderstood your comments. Its possible the fork pads for 5/6 weren't installed perfectly straight causing them to flare slightly upon installation. It will probably be fine but without seeing it, its hard to say for certain.
I doubt this is the case, even with the pads not installed in the fork they will barely fit in the synchro slider. I just want to know if it was normal, I can always use the plastic ones if I have to. Thanks
Old 06-18-2019, 05:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1992rs
I doubt this is the case, even with the pads not installed in the fork they will barely fit in the synchro slider. I just want to know if it was normal, I can always use the plastic ones if I have to. Thanks
Where did you purchase them from?
Old 06-18-2019, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Where did you purchase them from?
The shift pads came from synchrotech and the sliders from amp distributing.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1992rs
The shift pads came from synchrotech and the sliders from amp distributing.
Our sliders will be stock width for the pads. As for the pads, there are some very poorly made pads on the market and the price reflects that. If they are tight fitting in the groove without even being on the fork, they are most likely in fact too large for the intended application.