LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

T56 problem - found these pieces , what are they?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 problem - found these pieces , what are they?

weird subject eh?

what are these pieces of or from? https://i.imgur.com/tKV3fAe.jpg

well I have a 96 LT1 with T56, as far as I know it's stock as far as transmission is concerned. Two weeks ago while driving I started losing gears, no metal noises, just could not shift anymore into gears, 4th was about the easist and got me home. Also in the driveway after car cooled I could get into 1st/reverse a bunch of times, took it for a short drive and once again started losing 1st, 2nd, 3rd and all the rest... again 4th was sort of doable to get in, once it popped into 2nd too. Clutch pedal seemed normal as it always have, there's fluid in the slave cylinder and no leaks. When idling I recorded a video of what the transmission sounds like, it made strange noises:

I've worked on a lot of cars, but never manual transmission cars so I lack a lot of knowledge in this arena.

Today I pulled the transmission out to investigate what's going on and found these pieces in the space between transmission and bellhousing/clutch. They were just sitting on the bottom of the transmission case in a bunch of odd grease/dirt/filth. Clutch looks fine from the outside, but I have not removed it yet. Clutch fork looked ok, throwout bearing seems ok to me (never seen one before), input shaft is fine etc...

Can you identify these pieces and give me an idea what I'm in for? maybe it will be obvious when I pull the clutch, but I just ran out of time today. https://i.imgur.com/tKV3fAe.jpg

Last edited by mcadek; 06-23-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Looks like throw out bearing pieces to me. Snap a picture of the throw out bearing as I think it broke apart. Could be wrong but the circle part looks like a part if it.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:37 PM
Teching In

your wish is my command! I think that's just dirt on the body of it, but I couldn't crawl fully under right now to check it out closely and wipe it down. It seems to closely resemble pics on rockauto for replacement doesn't it? it's entirely possible these pieces were left behind by... idk... weird hoarder who liked to hide metal parts in the case of the transmission lol. Lot of them were found in the little clutch fork "pod" but that's just the lowest point so I assume they fell in there after rattling around for a bit. The clutch fork pod as well as the pushrod on that slave cylinder seem normal... the little rubber cap on the piston is half busted up from age, but still there, piston seems without damage and the body of it looks normal too. Clutch fork also seems normal with no pieces obviously missing.

Here's the throwout bearing pic: https://i.imgur.com/qHs2rzT.jpg

I assume the bellhousing comes off first, then the clutch?
Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Hrm, throw out bearing looks fine. Used but fine. I guess off with the clutch to inspect that. The bellhousing does have to come off.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:24 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

There is a lot of greasy goo in there. One of those pieces looks like the remnants of a bearing. Those noises sound more transmission related than clutch. Perhaps the clutch was dragging and has now taken out syncros and such in your trans.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:32 PM
Teching In

idk why this forum wont post things at times, but anyway attempt #2... I'm quite sure i found the culprit, hopefully transmission isn't damaged, but those pieces I found were from the clutch disc, they go around the large springs and sort of hold them in, one is still intact on that disc.

https://i.imgur.com/ymXWwyd.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i60KbXV.jpg

of course flywheel and pressure plate are ruined, but oh well.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Should be fine on the transmission side. Good old clutch disc failure. Looks like the disc was close to the end of life anyways. New flywheel and clutch time. I would do a new clutch master and slave at the same time. Now its just time to throw it all back together.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 AM
Village Troll

You need to find out where all that goo is coming from. Either the rear main, or a bad leak on the intake and/or valve cover, or perhaps the seal on the input shaft is bad? That area should be dry.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
New flywheel and clutch time. I would do a new clutch master and slave at the same time..
There's no need for either a new flywheel or hydraulics if there's nothing wrong with them, especially since the LT1 slave is external. A simple resurface of the flywheel to remove any hotspots should be all that's needed.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Default Flywheel per GM

GM doesn’t want you to resurface the flywheel in any vehicle any more because the tolerances of the new clutch and disc are so close that if you turn the flywheel then you risk not being able to get it in gear and you can damage reverse gears. With the age and mileage of the vehicle I agree with the other guy that you should replace the slave cylinder and master cylinder along with a new flywheel disc and pressure plate. And you should put in new throw out bearing and the pilot bearing at the same time then you will have everything new and should last you for a long time without any problem again. Sure hundred of people will turn the flywheel and may be okay or not. But do you want to take it all back apart so you can replace the flywheel when you were just there and didn’t want to buy a new one. I would stay with a GM parts because they are made for your car and they are going to last the longest time. Be sure you check your fork out because if it’s bad or worn then you won’t get full disengagement. They are discontinued from GM last I knew but they are still on eBay from someone that has a way of getting them. I am a GM Automotive Technician and it’s better to do everything now while it’s apart then to burn up a new clutch for some reason that you could have fixed when you had it apart. It’s your money so go cheap or do it right now so you shouldn’t have any more problems unless you have transmission problems because of a bad clutch. Good luck to you.
Well I knew that I would get people that disagree with me. So I will let you in on something that you probably don’t want to believe. I’ve been a GM Automotive Technician for thirty years now and I’m going by what GM says in it shop manual for the flywheel. It says not to resurface it because it designed it. The reason they give is that the hot spots will come back as soon as you get the flywheel hot again. As to the slave cylinder and clutch master cylinder is because you are going to trust a twenty plus years old hydraulic system. Then that’s up to you. But with all the updates on both parts it’s easier to do not then when you can’t get it into third gear and you grind off amount of metal. It’s your money so do whatever you want to do. I’m just telling you what GM says about resurface your flywheel is to not do it. Now if you want to buy a new clutch assembly from GM you get everything but the slave cylinder and master cylinder. There’s so many mods for not being able to get into third gear to the line. Do what ever you want to do. It’s your money. I’m just trying to tell you what GM says about the flywheel. Let’s see you work at a dealership for thirty years on flat rate. While you there why don’t you reuse your throw out bearing to. If it’s working then there isn’t any thing wrong with it right.

Last edited by skypuppy99; 07-05-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Update
Old 06-29-2019, 03:12 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by skypuppy99
GM doesn’t want you to resurface the flywheel in any vehicle any more because the tolerances of the new clutch and disc are so close that if you turn the flywheel then you risk not being able to get it in gear and you can damage reverse gears.
Huh? LT1 clutch is a pull style. When a flywheel is resurfaced, there’s more clearance between flywheel and clutch when the clutch pedal is depressed. There is also no reason to replace the clutch master or slave unless they brokes.
Old 06-30-2019, 01:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, I don't see how that statement makes any sense either.....that "tech" seems to be wet behind the ears or has no idea what he's talking about.