Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What's the Best Way to Tack up a Headliner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's the Best Way to Tack up a Headliner?

I've got a 94 Firebird Formula with T-Tops with a sagging headliner. The headliner was installed by the previous owner about 4 years ago, and the material itself is in excellent shape. However, the section that lines the center strip between the T-Tops is not rigid enough to support itself, and sags down from the roof in the center. I've tried a couple of adhesives to attach the headliner to the metal, but none of them have lasted through an entire Texas summer. It seems odd to me that there is not a mechanical means of attaching the headliner at this point, such as a pin or something. How was it done from the factory? Is the headliner just supposed to be rigid enough to keep from sagging or am I not using the proper adhesive for the job? Simply put, what's the best way to keep my headliner looking presentable?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You tried Velcro? that's what I plan on using where mine has started to go a little at the back
Old 07-18-2019, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

I tried using Velcro the first time to tack it up, but the adhesive on the back of the strips couldn't grip the backing of the headliner
Old 07-18-2019, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Carpet tacks?
Old 07-19-2019, 11:43 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Isn’t there a “Christmas tree” style push pin in the middle between the t tops. I’m pretty sure there is in my car.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by scj
Isn’t there a “Christmas tree” style push pin in the middle between the t tops. I’m pretty sure there is in my car.
See, this is what I'm wondering. The headliner in my car does not have a hole for a push pin, and as far as I can tell, there's no hole in the metal of the car to insert one. Did they change the way that the headliners are held up for a certain model year?
Old 07-24-2019, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You were right about the velcro the first time, so I tried this and the velcro is stuck fast to the liner now and won't budge.

Originally Posted by Project_Daily
I tried using Velcro the first time to tack it up, but the adhesive on the back of the strips couldn't grip the backing of the headliner
Cancel
Old 07-25-2019, 09:49 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MasterV8
You were right about the velcro the first time, so I tried this and the velcro is stuck fast to the liner now and won't budge.

Cancel
It looks like you attached it to the carpeted edges, does the headliner not flop around in the center like that? I originally tried Velcro-ing the interior portion of the liner and it just fell apart
Old 07-25-2019, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

mine has a big black push pin in the middle of the t-top section... do you know if there is a hole for you to use in the metal structure underneath?
Old 07-26-2019, 06:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a hardtop so don't know if yours has a folded carpeted edge where the T-tops go. Mine was drooping at the back and pulling away from the rear interior light, it's hot weather here and I used 6 small strips, 3 each side with the glue (didn't need to glue the Velcro to the metal) and it's stayed up so far