What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

Modified 02 SS M6

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modified 02 SS M6

I'm currently looking at a pretty heavily modified 2002 Camaro SS with t-tops and a manual transmission. It has a Pro Charger, Moser 12 Bolt rear end, upgraded transmission and clutch, and Baer Claw aftermarket brakes. It also has an aftermarket cooling system, beefed up suspension, etc. It was owned by a doctor and he dumped a lot of money in this thing. I would like to know what I should pay. I've offered 12 and the owner is firm at 13. I plan on verifying the mileage through Car Fax. I own a Hellcat so wasn't really looking for an F body, but if I can get it for a good price I might have some fun with it for a year or two and then hope to sell it to the next person. I don't want to lose a bunch of money though so would like opinions on what it's worth? Thanks
Old 07-14-2019, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many miles are on the car, and how many miles are on the engine/build? Plus post up some pictures if you can.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Matt_ws6
How many miles are on the car, and how many miles are on the engine/build? Plus post up some pictures if you can.
Car supposedly has less than 17k original miles. I don't know exactly when the mods were done I'm waiting for the owner to send me receipts. It did have a current emissions certificate which I was happy about because that would have been a deal breaker. Here are a few pictures.

Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Here is the mod list the owner sent me.

Engine/Induction:
ATI P-1SC1 Pro Charger (centrifugal supercharger), 7 psi
Aqua Mist induction cooler
Rocker arm package, titanium springs
Vortech injectors

Drivetrain:
Rocklin Standard Gear Racing Transmission (Hurst shifter, skip shift eliminator)
Moser 12-bolt rear end with 3:73 gears
Exedy double plate clutch
Spohn adjustable torque arm

Suspension, frame and brakes:
Strut tower brace, subframe connectors
Torque arm
Blistein shocks, Eibach springs
Reinforced control arm, panhard bar, sway bar
Bear Claw brake system

Exhaust:
Edelbrock shorty headers
SLP Y Pipe

Cooling:
Double size, high-flow radiator (SLP)
Aquamist boost water injection
Billet cooling tank
160 degree thermostat
Billet grille and dual scoop hood

Fuel System:
Kinsler LS1 fuel rail
Kinsler regulator
Weldon fuel pump

Old 07-15-2019, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

As long as the car is mechanically sound and the mods were installed correctly, I would think $13 is reasonable. I don't think you listed the mileage.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nathan C
As long as the car is mechanically sound and the mods were installed correctly, I would think $13 is reasonable. I don't think you listed the mileage.
Mileage is 16,700 which was verified by Carfax. I posted a few pictures, but am waiting for the moderators to approve.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That car certainly would have been worth the $13K asking price if they left the car totally stock. Now the only question to you is if all those mods have added value to the car. For mods that are properly done and which truly add performance one might consider 10c-30c for each dollar spent. Or another way is 15c-30c on the dollar for the parts only (ignore any labor to install them).

My gut feel is that the car is an excellent deal at $13K. I'm not a fan of that hood though. Original SS hood and wheels still around? I don't get the 160 deg thermostat though. Not an issue though if the car warms right up to 180 deg + any ways.
The following users liked this post:
nocols1 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 10:35 AM
Teching In

Thank you for the info. I’ve offered 12 and am firm on that.... the car has been sitting for awhile so I’m sure it needs some updated maintenance. The owner is stuck on 13 so we’ll see if something happens.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What will probably happen is that someone will come by and give them their $13K.

If they started out at $13K rather than at $14K to $15K they made a mistake imo. Good car for someone who wants a hopped up low mileage car but doesn't have to do what this owner did.....buy a low mileage 2002 SS M6 for $14K-$15K (assuming they didn't buy it new) then add $10K or more in mods to it.....and get none of that back. Most of the modded cars I see for sale tend to be in the 40K-90K mile range. If I were advising this seller I'd tell them to remove the ad...rework it....and come back in a month at $14,975.

If the owner has the original parts that were removed....that's one way of getting to your $12K net.
nocols1 (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 11:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Firebrian
What will probably happen is that someone will come by and give them their $13K.

If they started out at $13K rather than at $14K to $15K they made a mistake imo. Good car for someone who wants a hopped up low mileage car but doesn't have to do what this owner did.....buy a low mileage 2002 SS M6 for $14K-$15K (assuming they didn't buy it new) then add $10K or more in mods to it.....and get none of that back. Most of the modded cars I see for sale tend to be in the 40K-90K mile range. If I were advising this seller I'd tell them to remove the ad...rework it....and come back in a month at $14,975.

If the owner has the original parts that were removed....that's one way of getting to your $12K net.
Great info thank you. It was listed at 17 then down to 15 I offered 11 and the owner came down to 13. I have a Hellcat so really don’t need this F Body. I’m looking for a good deal and more than likely would have fun with it for a couple of years and then try and pass it in to the next person without losing a bunch of money.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Regarding potential resell, that horrific WS6 style hood on a Camaro will limit the number of potential buyers.

I'd see if the stock SS hood is available from the owner and pay $13,000 for the car with stock SS. If the stock SS hood isn't available, $12,000 Is a very generous offer for that eye sore horrific Camaro with a WS6 style hood.
Spamfritter (01-30-2020)
Old 07-16-2019, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99 Black Bird T/A
Regarding potential resell, that horrific WS6 style hood on a Camaro will limit the number of potential buyers.

I'd see if the stock SS hood is available from the owner and pay $13,000 for the car with stock SS. If the stock SS hood isn't available, $12,000 Is a very generous offer for that eye sore horrific Camaro with a WS6 style hood.
I'm pretty sure the original hood is long gone. I have the receipt where the first owner replaced it shortly after buying the car. Wonder if it was an issue with clearing the supercharger? The hood honestly doesn't bother me, but I can definitely see it impacting future value. Made the owner a last offer of 12,500. If it's not accepted I'm going to move on and see what else is out there.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd buy it, return it to stock form as much as possible, sell the car for what I paid for it, then sell off the supercharger and everything else that wasn't a pain in the **** to take off. Of course, if you had to pay for both the stock parts and the labor to reinstall them, it makes zero sense. However, for someone like me who has most of those stock parts on hand and the ability to do the work myself, I could see walking away with a few grand in my pocket after all is said and done.
nocols1 (07-17-2019)