Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifters pumped up odd bank only ls7

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 05:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lifters pumped up odd bank only ls7

I have an LS7 with an unusual problem. No compression on the odd bank of cylinders due to lifter pump up. I've gone to absolute minimum practical lash after extensive troubleshooting and still having problems. Even cylinders are fine. Used compression tester to verify. Cam Motion Stage 1 cam. Texas speed roller tipped 1.82 rockers. Engine rebuilt completely and has 9.7 : 1 compression for marina 87 oct gas. Pushrods vary 7.700, 7.750, 7.800 based upon each individual valve gap check. Cylinder heads are WCCH. When the rockers are pulled, leakdown test is fine. The LS3 I ran in the boat last summer worked so great that I opted for an LS7. HELP?
Old 07-19-2019, 09:45 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,368 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Are you using an adjustable push rod to find your pr length? You currently are using equal length pushrods on both banks? Have you verified your actual pushrod length with a caliper to ensure that they are all same length?
Old 07-19-2019, 09:45 PM
ModSquad

Welcome to LS1Tech!
Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Are you using an adjustable push rod to find your pr length? You currently are using equal length pushrods on both banks? Have you verified your actual pushrod length with a caliper to ensure that they are all same length?
pushrods are different lengths for each valve. I have 4 full sets: 7.8, 7.75, 7.7, 7.65. Measured .140-.180 gap from zero lash on top of each valve when lifters will compress fully (takes a day or so). base circle and/or valve stem height seem to vary. Same method both even and odd banks and only the odd bank pumps up. Most of the valves took 7.7, some 7.75, and couple of 7.8s to get the same lash at each valve either head. Many hours into this already. Started the process with pushrod length checker and quickly discovered measurements varied throughout each head. Lifters pump up enough to open valves just by turning the engine over on the starter with coils disconnected, injectors disconnected, and oil apparent through the pushrods and out the weep holes on the rockers.
Old 07-19-2019, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tyeegs
pushrods are different lengths for each valve. I have 4 full sets: 7.8, 7.75, 7.7, 7.65. Measured .140-.180 gap from zero lash on top of each valve when lifters will compress fully (takes a day or so). base circle and/or valve stem height seem to vary. Same method both even and odd banks and only the odd bank pumps up. Most of the valves took 7.7, some 7.75, and couple of 7.8s to get the same lash at each valve either head. Many hours into this already. Started the process with pushrod length checker and quickly discovered measurements varied throughout each head. Lifters pump up enough to open valves just by turning the engine over on the starter with coils disconnected, injectors disconnected, and oil apparent through the pushrods and out the weep holes on the rockers.
stated that incorrectly, .140 - .180 gap on the lifters with lifter springs fully compressed (not zero lash). So I'm at .005 - .050 lash on each pushrod. Again, used the shortest pushrod at each valve to achieve minimal lifter compression.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:06 AM
Teching In

swapped stock cam back in. Lobes looked good on cam motion cam. No better. Stumped big time
Old 07-22-2019, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Those push rods seem long and shouldn't very that much. What's been done to the heads?
Old 07-22-2019, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do leak down test. I bet the valves are open from the long push rods.
Just saying.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

heads were milled with a potato crinkle cut tool?

First Ive ever read about an engine taking "multiple" sizes of pushrods. I dont know if im just that uneducated or if thats actually possible.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by trilkb
heads were milled with a potato crinkle cut tool?

First Ive ever read about an engine taking "multiple" sizes of pushrods. I dont know if im just that uneducated or if thats actually possible.
That happens. Its usually slightly different for each head. One head's milling and or casting when made can be slightly thicker or thinner than the other bank. But, since the entire bank is out, I think the problem is electrical. As in the coil pack connector, the pin outs, harness or loom.

The motor should run with incorrect sticks, although it may misfire. The OP states the entire bank is not firing, which suggestions an electric issue.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:11 PM
ModSquad

Originally Posted by rednari2
That happens. Its usually slightly different for each head. One head's milling and or casting when made can be slightly thicker or thinner than the other bank. But, since the entire bank is out, I think the problem is electrical. As in the coil pack connector, the pin outs, harness or loom.

The motor should run with incorrect sticks, although it may misfire. The OP states the entire bank is not firing, which suggestions an electric issue.
OP stated that he didn’t have compression on the odd bank, tested with a compression tester. Stated that he pulled rockers and compression in that bank is fine. Multiple different length pushrods throughout is pretty common with short travel hydraulic lifters and non-adjustable rockers.
I use a solid LS7 lifter that I modified to find my pushrod lengths, using an adjustable length pushrod. I add my wanted lash and done. I’ve never seen anyone find pushrod length the way the OP is doing in this situation.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Yeah, I don't know whats going on except the PR length seems long. I know he said it was a 7 and they have offset rockers, but I don't know why one bank would be so different than the other that it wouldn't fire. That suggests an electrical problem. The PR lengths are OK for one bank but not the other? No cam or valve train should have that much difference between banks where the bank won't even misfire.

I think its something else, although I have experienced some truly weird motors over the years.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

How can you have compression with the rockers pulled? I still say put back together and do a leak down test.

Stampede.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Stock LS7 pushrods are 7.800

Running all the different length pushrods was unnecessary. The lifters have ( I don't recall the exact number) but something like a .050 preload variance that is acceptable (unless they are short travel). So if you had say a .005-.010 variance it wouldn't matter, even if it was .020 it would be fine to use all the same length pushrods. That's what people normally do. Unless like Scott said it's a short travel and you aren't landing in the acceptable zone.

OP how are you checking this? You said you have .140 lash but based on what measurement push rod are you finding that .140??

What lifters are you using?

Are the rocker arms adjustable or no?

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 07-24-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:41 AM
Teching In

checked springs (after market dual) and looked fine. Then swapped back to the stock rockers and the engine ran great. Not sure why the rockers would cause lifter pump up. The roller rocker tips looked fine on the valve stems. Sent the rockers back to Texas Speed, no issues found. Still stumped.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
Those push rods seem long and shouldn't very that much. What's been done to the heads?
heads are stamped WCCH. Still have stock valves. Dual springs. Not sure what else, bought the engine used.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stampede4ever
How can you have compression with the rockers pulled? I still say put back together and do a leak down test.

Stampede.
sorry, rockers not removed, just loosed enough to allow valves to close when lifters were pumped up.
Also, pushrod lengths vary cylinder to cylinder, not just left to right bank.
Cam motion base circle only varied approx .015" intake to exhaust lobes and were fairly consistent.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
Stock LS7 pushrods are 7.800

Running all the different length pushrods was unnecessary. The lifters have ( I don't recall the exact number) but something like a .050 preload variance that is acceptable (unless they are short travel). So if you had say a .005-.010 variance it wouldn't matter, even if it was .020 it would be fine to use all the same length pushrods. That's what people normally do. Unless like Scott said it's a short travel and you aren't landing in the acceptable zone.

OP how are you checking this? You said you have .140 lash but based on what measurement push rod are you finding that .140??

What lifters are you using?

Are the rocker arms adjustable or no?
lifters are stock LS7, rockers are non-adjustable Texas Speed roller tip,
Old 08-22-2019, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tyeegs
checked springs (after market dual) and looked fine. Then swapped back to the stock rockers and the engine ran great. Not sure why the rockers would cause lifter pump up. The roller rocker tips looked fine on the valve stems. Sent the rockers back to Texas Speed, no issues found. Still stumped.
Engine recently ran fine with stock (w/trunnion upgrade) rockers. Still stumped.

Last edited by tyeegs; 08-22-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: signature added
Old 08-22-2019, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Here’s what an LS7 looks like in a Lund

Quick Reply: lifters pumped up odd bank only ls7