Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

First turbo build, 70 GTO...

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 04:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,493 Likes on 932 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default First turbo build, 70 GTO...

I have been a member of this forum for a long time. Have done several LS swaps, but this is my first turbo build.

The car is a 1970 GTO, the original LS swap build thread can be found here:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ion-2-0-a.html

The latest iteration of the build can be found here:

I originally wasn't going to do a turbo build, but after this years LS Fest, I got the bug. Getting Covid 19 would have ben less expensive...

The goal was to have a very reliable combination that could be driven anywhere. I like driving my cars a lot. My Cougar LS build has about 30K miles on it since I built it in 2015. Build thread here is anyone is interested:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...gar-build.html

Other goals are 850-900 crank HP and quick response. The car is heavy and the goal is to drive it to LS Fest, run mid 10s (or quicker) and drive home.

The engine combination is locked in. It is an aluminum 5.3L that used to be in my Cougar. It now has Molnar crank and rods and Wiseco pistons. It has ARP main and heads studs and Cometic head gaskets. Heads are 799 castings with Manley stainless valves, valve job, Trick Flow springs, trunion kit, and Summit Ghost cam (aka stage 1 turbo cam).

The turbo is being built by Work Turbo and is their S4E model. It is based on the BW S400 series bearing system and will have their 72mm billet compressor wheel and the 83mm turbine wheel. The turbine housing is from Tial with a 1.17AR.

Hotside will be the Holley single cast log system. Trans is a 4L80e with a converter to be determined. Everything run by a Holley Dominator ECU.

Any and all comments are welcome. I know I could have achieved my goals for less money, but having something that was reliable was important. I have my fire suit on, so flame away, I don't mind...LOL

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 03-08-2022 at 10:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2021, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 895 Likes on 450 Posts

Sounds like a solid plan. What are you thinking for fuel? Won't need anything crazy for that power.
The following users liked this post:
Project GatTagO (12-03-2021)
Old 12-03-2021, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by jayyyw
Sounds like a solid plan. What are you thinking for fuel? Won't need anything crazy for that power.
I will install a flex fuel sensor, but initially the plan is to tune it on pump gas. This is the car. This picture was taken at LSFest in 2013.

Andrew
The following 2 users liked this post by Project GatTagO:
jayyyw (12-04-2021), The BallSS (01-26-2022)
Old 12-03-2021, 11:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,229 Likes on 784 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'm excited for this project 'drew.

Planning an intercooler?
Old 12-04-2021, 03:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 534 Likes on 378 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I have been a member of this forum for a long time. Have done several LS swaps, but this is my first turbo build.

The car is a 1970 GTO, the original LS swap build thread can be found here:

The latest iteration of the build can be found here:

I originally wasn't going to do a turbo build, but after this years LS Fest, I got the bug. Getting Covid 19 would have ben less expensive...

The goal was to have a very reliable combination that could be driven anywhere. I like driving my cars a lot. My Cougar LS build has about 30K miles on it since I built it in 2015. Build thread here is anyone is interested:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...gar-build.html

Other goals are 850-900 crank HP and quick response. The car is heavy and the goal is to drive it to LS Fest, run mid 10s (or quicker) and drive home.

The engine combination is locked in. It is an aluminum 5.3L that used to be in my Cougar. It now has Molnar crank and rods and Wiseco pistons. It has ARP main and heads studs and Cometic head gaskets. Heads are 799 castings with Manley stainless valves, valve job, Trick Flow springs, trunion kit, and Summit Ghost cam (aka stage 1 turbo cam).

The turbo is being built by Work Turbo and is their S4E model. It is based on the BW S400 series bearing system and will have their 72mm billet compressor wheel and the 82mm turbine wheel. The turbine housing is from Tial with a 1.17AR.

Hotside will be the Holley single cast log system. Trans is a 4L80e with a converter to be determined. Everything run by a Holley Dominator ECU.

Any and all comments are welcome. I know I could have achieved my goals for less money, but having something that was reliable was important. I have my fire suit on, so flame away, I don't mind...LOL

Andrew
Your plans are absolutely terrible. I could save you the shame and embarrassment by taking it off your hands. I am willing to do a fellow forum member that kind of favor, lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by gametech:
Project GatTagO (12-04-2021), The BallSS (01-26-2022)
Old 12-04-2021, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'm excited for this project 'drew.

Planning an intercooler?
John,

I struggled with every decision for this project. My original plan was to use a Holley LoRam with a Tick Performance A2W intercooler. Then I thought that the LoRam was going to be terrible for low-end response, so I thought about using a stock style intake and doing a A2A up front. Well, because of the way the GTO has the supports for the endurance front bumper, it was going to be a nightmare to get the cold-side piping done. Then I thought, **** it, I am just going to do W/M injection and no intercooler. Well, I think at the boost level that I want to run (18-20psi) that just isn't going to work very well. Long story short, I am back to the Tick intercooler and LoRam.

Originally Posted by gametech
Your plans are absolutely terrible. I could save you the shame and embarrassment by taking it off your hands. I am willing to do a fellow forum member that kind of favor, lol.
You are too kind, Sir. LOL

Andrew
Old 12-04-2021, 05:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

I don't want to add to your pain lol but I was researching the low ram for a buddy looking to keep a stock hood on a 2nd gen Camaro, and the feedback I was getting was a mix of stay high ram, go BTR, stock intake, or Pro Flo. I think also not many folks have run the low ram and there is not really enough data out there.

Are you going triple disk converter?
Old 12-04-2021, 07:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I don't want to add to your pain lol but I was researching the low ram for a buddy looking to keep a stock hood on a 2nd gen Camaro, and the feedback I was getting was a mix of stay high ram, go BTR, stock intake, or Pro Flo. I think also not many folks have run the low ram and there is not really enough data out there.

Are you going triple disk converter?
The only reason I'm thinking about the loram and Tick intercooler is the packaging. Nothing else will fit. If I do a stock style intake, then my intercooler options get limited.

Yes, triple disk converter.

Andrew
Old 12-04-2021, 07:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

Cool, you know I'll be following.

I'd love to have a stock SS hood on my car.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 242 Likes on 169 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I have fit some IC'ers in tight places, but it comes down to how much cutting are you willing to do, some cars I just wouldn't cut on. I was looking at one of those barrel style like Frozen Boost has, rated to 1200 HP, add a pump and small heat exchanger, or small rad. Spray meh can be an option, using that now with 93 octane. Small things like ducting the intake out of the engine comp. can help IAT's. The flex fuel sensor is always a great idea, cruise on 93, add E85 to raise the eth content, let the tables change the tune. With your tuning skills, that's a slam dunk. I would imagine you want full exhaust, with the S400 turbine housing you will have a min of a 4" downpipe, gets tight even if you dont have AC, on my A body I ran 4" to the rear bumper, but splitting it underneath to 2-2.5 is quiter, easier fit. Number 8 spark plug access pretty much sucks, makes me wish I had a Procharger, lol. Looking forward to this build, you build some neat stuff.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by forcd ind
I have fit some IC'ers in tight places, but it comes down to how much cutting are you willing to do, some cars I just wouldn't cut on. I was looking at one of those barrel style like Frozen Boost has, rated to 1200 HP, add a pump and small heat exchanger, or small rad. Spray meh can be an option, using that now with 93 octane. Small things like ducting the intake out of the engine comp. can help IAT's. The flex fuel sensor is always a great idea, cruise on 93, add E85 to raise the eth content, let the tables change the tune. With your tuning skills, that's a slam dunk. I would imagine you want full exhaust, with the S400 turbine housing you will have a min of a 4" downpipe, gets tight even if you dont have AC, on my A body I ran 4" to the rear bumper, but splitting it underneath to 2-2.5 is quiter, easier fit. Number 8 spark plug access pretty much sucks, makes me wish I had a Procharger, lol. Looking forward to this build, you build some neat stuff.
Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I wish Lingenfelter still offered their intake with the intercooler core. It used a base from a long runner Magnuson kit. By all accounts, it was a well designed part.

I have been taking some inspiration from Alex's 68 Impala build:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...hp-17-psi.html

The way he did his A2A intercooler might be an option, although the engine would need to be installed just to see how much room I actually have to work with. Another option I thought about was getting a radiator that was 4" narrower. This would give me a window through which I could pass intercooling pipes through.

I did think about using water/meth only. I am not sure that it would be a viable option at the 20 psi range, but I am open to input. It would certainly make for the easiest packaging.

I plan to build a 4" downpipe and have plans for a cutout, roughly under the passenger seat. I really want to maintain a stock look for the exhaust, which complicates matters. The GTO used a unique dual exhaust system where the pipes exit through the lower valance. Should have built my 6.2L and added a Magnuson Heartbeat system...

Andrew
Old 12-05-2021, 03:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

Never saw that build thread, it made for some good reading today. He's local too, I wouldn't mind checking that car out.

Magnuson would be quicker and simpler to swap on, but 800hp makes the turbo worthwhile I think.
Old 12-05-2021, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Never saw that build thread, it made for some good reading today. He's local too, I wouldn't mind checking that car out.

Magnuson would be quicker and simpler to swap on, but 800hp makes the turbo worthwhile I think.
Alex has since sold the car, but I've had a few calls with him. He is good guy and has been very helpful.

Andrew
Old 12-05-2021, 04:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

My radiator core is only like 20.5 wide and I'm running a single 16" fan, so far it's been keeping up, the hottest the car ran was 204F sitting in barely moving traffic for a few miles.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

My radiator core is only like 20.5 wide and I'm running a single 16" fan, so far it's been keeping up, the hottest the car ran was 204F sitting in barely moving traffic for a few miles.
I don't think a smaller radiator would present an issue. I am just trying to balance packaging and esthetics.

Andrew
Old 12-14-2021, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

This video was posted in this forum, and I am only using it as an example:

I definitely don't want it to respond like this. Any thoughts on how to keep that from happening?

Andrew
Old 12-14-2021, 12:09 PM
8 Second Club

Received 945 Likes on 701 Posts

I did think about using water/meth only. I am not sure that it would be a viable option at the 20 psi range, but I am open to input. It would certainly make for the easiest packaging.
If you run E85 20 psi no intercooler is too easy. If you were to do meth injection skip the water and run straight meth.

John,

I struggled with every decision for this project. My original plan was to use a Holley LoRam with a Tick Performance A2W intercooler. Then I thought that the LoRam was going to be terrible for low-end response, so I thought about using a stock style intake and doing a A2A up front. Well, because of the way the GTO has the supports for the endurance front bumper, it was going to be a nightmare to get the cold-side piping done. Then I thought, **** it, I am just going to do W/M injection and no intercooler. Well, I think at the boost level that I want to run (18-20psi) that just isn't going to work very well. Long story short, I am back to the Tick intercooler and LoRam.
With such a small turbo, essentially a 72/74 since the 83mm turbine has a 74mm exducer your response will be great no matter what intake you have on it. I think you get better response having a short pipe between compressor outlet and throttle body with a low ram intake than having 12 feet of intercooler piping all over the engine bay and flowing through a large air to air core to a stock intake. If you do the intake manifold air to water I would also skip the heat exchanger and just have the intercooler pump on a boost switch so you don't constantly heat up the water, can ice it down if you want at the track but it works well that way.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:01 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

Kurt Urban said the PTE 7675 lights off at 2500.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Kurt Urban said the PTE 7675 lights off at 2500.
Then hopefully mine lights off quicker than that... lol

Andrew
Old 12-15-2021, 04:03 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

LS1Tech 10 Year

Plus you are going to run at least a 3200 stall right lol.

Quick Reply: First turbo build, 70 GTO...