Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

1965 GTO Black Smoke + Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1965 GTO Black Smoke + Knocking

My grandfather has had 2 65 goats in his barn for a few years now. After his passing i figured they need to be started up to see the condition they were in and what we needed to do to get them streetable. Checked all fluids and what not, as they have been sitting for about 2 years. Hopped in and cranked it over and fired right up without a problem. Pulled it out and drove it around and seemed to be running just fine. Drove it into town and back, parked it. When i went to leave we moved it back into his barn but it was making a knocking noise as well as black smoke coming out of the exhaust.

My question is what would cause black smoke (rich condition, unburned fuel) and a knock at the same time? Maybe my brain just is not functioning the way it should be but my brain just cant pinpoint how both these conditions would appear on an engine that hadnt been started in a few years?
Old 05-13-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im thinking the carb needs rebuilt, which is causing a rich condition, and the old gas in the tank was bad and is pre detonating
Old 05-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
im thinking the carb needs rebuilt, which is causing a rich condition, and the old gas in the tank was bad and is pre detonating
i was thinking that this could be the case but the knocking is very audible, but would a pre ignition knock be that loud? seemed as though the black smoke was only coming out of one of the exhaust pipes. didnt get a chance to look at the exhaust he had put on there but if it was individual exhaust pipes coming from each header this would make me believe its one cylinder causing this black smoke. Does this make sense?
Old 05-20-2009, 02:21 AM
Teching In

no other opinions on this subject. i know its not a "chevy smallblock" but it is a gm engine and i figure u guys are very knowledgeable.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like its running way to rich. As far as the knock, don't really know, maybe the rich condition caused the cylinder walls to get the oil washed off of them and thinned out the oil to the point where it its not lubricating properly and spun a bearing.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seafoam the engine it may have a sticking lifter or a valve. Bad gas can do it as well.

2 year old gas I can not belive it started.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RsSean
Seafoam the engine it may have a sticking lifter or a valve. Bad gas can do it as well.

my grandfather had a bottle of stabil lying around in his barn but have no idea what equipment he was using it in. With like 3-4 riding lawn mowers, 5-6 chain saws, weed whackers, honda trail bikes, generators, all sorts of stuff he could of used it with so who knows. I was very surprised when it fired right up.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:11 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'65's are my favorite year, I've owned three of them over the years. I'd drain out the gas and put in fresh fuel, change the oil and make sure the carb float isn't stuck. Bob
Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RsSean

i have started an engine on 10 year old gas before with no problems

it was sunoco 115 octane
Old 05-26-2009, 04:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by slvr98camaro
i have started an engine on 10 year old gas before with no problems

it was sunoco 115 octane
whats making me think that is an internal issue is that the black smoke was coming out of the left tail pipe and not the right and if im not mistaken its straight off each header with no cross.

Quick Reply: 1965 GTO Black Smoke + Knocking