Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Carburetion vs. Fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carburetion vs. Fuel injection

Ok if you built two of the exact same engines, but put a carb on one an fuel injection on the other, which one would make more power? I know injection makes for better gas mileage.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With the new fuel injection systems, I'm going to call it a draw. It's all going to come down to the talent of the tuner in regards to the carb or injection.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hot rod did an article on this a while back on LSx engines to top it off. I think the peak hp #'s were actually pretty close. Power curves were different but peak #'s about the same. Though I do think torq was the big difference.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Breathing Fire
Hot rod did an article on this a while back on LSx engines to top it off. I think the peak hp #'s were actually pretty close. Power curves were different but peak #'s about the same. Though I do think torq was the big difference.
diff in which way?
Old 07-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

So if money wasn't a concern, which is better to go with when building an engine?

Also, why don't you see very many Big blocks using injection?
Old 07-13-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davep_96
So if money wasn't a concern, which is better to go with when building an engine?

Also, why don't you see very many Big blocks using injection?

See them running FI where?

Most drag racers use carb's b/c they know how to tune them and dont know any/much about tuning FI.

This article should help you out.

http://www.pro-system.com/scoop92102.html
Old 07-13-2009, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
See them running FI where?

Most drag racers use carb's b/c they know how to tune them and dont know any/much about tuning FI.

This article should help you out.

http://www.pro-system.com/scoop92102.html
Oh I meant see them running efi just in general. I rarely ever see cars with BBCs at shows and online running efi.

According to that article, carbs provide more power than efi when tuned correctly. So then why doesn't everyone on this site change over to a carb'd lsx?
Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the lsx, or any other engine for that matter does not care or know where its fuel comes from.
a properly tuned carb. will provide very close afr thruout the band.

efi is best for use precision, however requires the end user to be very skilled in calibrating the system and a pc program, sensors, and pc.
carb just need a screwdriver and some small brass parts to calibrate.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i read that carbs will always make more power if they are set up perfectly, from the ventury effect and better atomization. but the injection system will adapt better from weather changes with all its sensors. i prefer carb personally. i hate injection, if i had a choice to own a brand new car with injection or carb id take carb hands down. just due to the carb not needing pricey computer stuff to change other parts on your car. thats my most recent headache with my car. the only benifit i see with injection is fuel milage, and once its set up for your specific parts you shouldnt hafto mess with it again, unless you change parts.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NemeSS
efi is best for use precision, however requires the end user to be very skilled in calibrating the system and a pc program, sensors, and pc.
carb just need a screwdriver and some small brass parts to calibrate.
+1

fuel injection gets my vote.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bbc anything is expensive, and then you add in the cost of efi to that and it starts to get outrageous.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Holley/Holley-...61888/10002/-1
Old 07-14-2009, 12:48 PM

System VS system both *can* be equal.

F/I is better now because it can be changed on the fly, depending on weather, temperature etc. The computer can compinsate for this an adjust.

A carb cannot, it will simply run the same. Because they are physically adjusted.

I have heard how-ever, that at WOT a carb is more efficient?

Personally I have never owned anything with F/I, So I have no clue how to tune it. However, I have rebuilt and tuned my Carbs way too many times. So I am comfortable in saying that a properly tuned carburated engine, will preform just as great as a F/I engine that is tuned correctly.

Chris
Old 07-17-2009, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

You guys still in the stone age running carbs, I'm surprised you even have computers and know what the internet is.

Give me fuel injection any day. Nothing beats being able to sit in the seat and adjust your fuel and timing in two minutes while the carb guy is getting his hands wet and dirty under the hood.
Old 07-17-2009, 06:37 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z
You guys still in the stone age running carbs, I'm surprised you even have computers and know what the internet is.

Give me fuel injection any day. Nothing beats being able to sit in the seat and adjust your fuel and timing in two minutes while the carb guy is getting his hands wet and dirty under the hood.
You'd be surprised how advanced the carburetor guys are with these "stone age" devices. A screwdriver to a good carb tuner is like a code reader to an EFI tuner. I hope that comment about the "stone age" was a joke.

Both means have their advantages and disadvantages, it's all in who is doing the tuning and what the engine is used for. SD/MAF EFI systems can be more precise in delivering fuel, but the carburetor can be better at mixing, or emulsifying, the fuel. With the different manifolds for each, who is to say that the benefits/losses are from the fuel delivery system or the intake?
Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 PM
12 Second Club

Being able to plug into a laptop and check out some real time feed of what exactly your engine is doing is a wonderful thing. Carbs are dreams of simplicity, but the monitoring capabilities of fuel injection are great. Either way, if you don't know what you're doing you can't do **** with it.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:04 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
...but the monitoring capabilities of fuel injection are great.
You can monitor pretty much anything with a carburetor that you can with EFI. O2/lambda, EGT, ignition timing, etc. are not exclusive to EFI systems. With a carb, you just don't have a computer looking at those sensors to calculate fuel requirements. That job is up to you.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
Being able to plug into a laptop and check out some real time feed of what exactly your engine is doing is a wonderful thing. Carbs are dreams of simplicity, but the monitoring capabilities of fuel injection are great. Either way, if you don't know what you're doing you can't do **** with it.
theres alot more to carbs than everyone thinks, and as far as simplicity goes efi gets the win. like posted above, with efi the computer watches out for you (knock sensors, o2 sensors and such). most carb'd motors that i know of and have run lack both of the above. without the o2 sensors you have to read your plugs, or run your car on a dyno to get the tune in the ballpark. w/o the knock sensor you have to listen for audible detonation, and again read the plugs. imo, efi is more simple than carbs as far as tuning, gets the win for driveability, and for the most part fuel economy.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin91Z

Hey man! I'm 19...leave me alone with this stone age ****.

lol.

To each their own, is what it all boils down to.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

for me carburetor all the way screw the wiring and all that hassle I love to see my engine bay clean without wiring but I respect the fuel injection for its technology
Old 07-20-2009, 10:02 PM
12 Second Club

this has been beaten to death over and over and over...and over throughout magazines and internet forums...

it all matters upon the user.

if you know how a computer controlled engine operates, and you can calibrate it and have the capacity to do it, then do efi.

if you don't know how to calibrate efi computers, or dont' have the capacity, or don't have the money to convert their 627 bbcs over to efi or don't want to deal with all the extra wiring and sensors and longer diagnostics...then stay carb'd

either system is going to be potent in the right hands. its usually when the wrong system falls into the wrong hands that you get "oh i gained 50 rwhp by switching over to carb'd" and other various comments.

me personally (since we are all putting in our opinions :-D) have an 01 v6 camaro that i tune via hptuners for the boost and spray...

and i just converted over my ltx in my 79 trans am to carb'd just cause it looks baller

Quick Reply: Carburetion vs. Fuel injection