Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

406 SBC Temp Light Problem

Old 01-14-2010, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 406 SBC Temp Light Problem

I just replaced the thermostat housing gasket and thermostat in my 79 Caprice Coupe. It has the housing with the connection for my temp guage. I put everything back to normal and now my Temp Light is on in my Dash. It's a big red light that was never there before.

I replaced the coolant in the radiator .

The only thing i can think is the inner wall of the thermostat housing has a tiny crack which is causing a minor leak but that never affected it before.

I'm stumped. I watch the gauge and it stays at about 190-200 degrees.

Any help fellas?
Old 01-17-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the system needs to be burped - probably has a bubble in it. Loosen the thermo-sensor in the thermostat housing, then warm up the car with the heat on high hot, high fan. Keep the rad cap off and keep topping off the fluid. Watch for fluid to finally start dribbling out of the loose thermo sensor, then tightern it down and button everything up. Take it for a spin. Hopefully the light will go out. After it cools down, check the fluid level once more at the rad cap, add as needed. Make sure your overflow tank is filled to the right line 'Cold'.

If it's not this then maybe damaged wire for the sensor or bad sensor. Easy to check for - it is a simple device that the resistance goes up with heat.

Jim
Old 02-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What degree thermostat do you have in it?
Old 02-01-2010, 07:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

if it's running at 190-200 the system likely isnt airlocked. but if it has the heater core hose on the intake just loosen that off, its the easiest way to bleed the system.

in the thermostat housing, do you have the coolent temp gauge sensor, the coolant light sensor, or both?

Search this Thread