Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

How much is this going to cost roughly and can we do this.. (350 rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much is this going to cost roughly and can we do this.. (350 rebuild)

The other day I was helping my buddy replace the spark plugs on his 88' Iroc Camaro. We noticed the plugs are fouled (burnt up, and some had oil on them) which means the rings are burnt up too right? So essentially it looks like hes going to need to rebuild his engine.

I looked on Summit Racing and it looks like the rebuild kits are around $350, he wants to get a better cam (upgrade to 383 stroker?), but other than that how much are we looking roughly to rebuild his engine as I'm sure its going to be more than just the rebuild kit plus a cam right?

Which leads to my 2nd question, can we do this on our own? He doesn't have a lot of $$$ so we're contemplating doing the rebuild ourselves in my garage. We understand this is a HUGE project, and have limited mechanical experience (basic maintenance, etc etc), so we figure a lot of extra time is needed due to it being our first time, but is it still doable for the "basic" mechanic? Thanks guys..
Old 05-25-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. An oil fouled plug doesn't mean bad rings. It could be as simple as a bad valve stem seal. More troubleshooting is required to know what it is. How many miles on the clock?

2. How much you end up spending is somewhat related to what you can do yourself, but more related to what needs replacing...with the attendant machine work required to do the replacing possibly driving the costs sky high. Speed costs, how fast do you wanna go? 383 and budget build are pretty much mutually exclusive.

If your buddy is severly $ limited, I'd plan on a bone stock overhaul. Even with that, you'll be lucky to come out of it under $1k.