Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

z28 5.7 build help

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 01:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question z28 5.7 build help

So i just purchased a 91 z28 camaro from a friend..and i want to make the car alittle faster...keep in mind i drive this car daily..and i do drive from Moreno Valley California to Los Angeles very often...what should i add to thi stock z28...i was thinkinga head & cam swap and rear end gears...any more ideas..p.s i dont wanna swap the motor just yet...but soon i will get to that
Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is the one in your sig the 91z? If it is, where is the f40 wing that the 91-92 cars came with? I wouldn't do H/C just yet and gear swaps don't show much in these cars with the stock TPI intake. Another thing, are you positive that it is a 350 L98 motor in there? Alot of them are 305 TPI cars.

The first thing I would do is put a set of headers on the car and a decent size stall. My cousin's car ran 13.0 with just a 2800 stall and a set of SLP shorty headers he had nothing else done to the car. Mind you this is with the stock garbage intake. If he had an intake it would have been well into the 12's.

So for your car I would just do a Holley Stealth Ram and some headers and maybe a catback and stall. It will still drive like stock and run somewhere in the 12's, any faster and most likely you will have to go into the motor. We got my cousin's car to run 11.80's on motor H/C/I thru mufflers, full weight, everything in it and on 3.42 gears we put in when we took out the 3.23's
Old 08-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Teching In

no its not the car in my sig...the car is a 89 and im pretty sure it is a 5.7...as for the headers i have some sitting around already..im looking for an exhaust that has a deep sound...was thinking about running the regular exhaust with an qtp cutout
Old 08-10-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by z28Jayp
no its not the car in my sig...the car is a 89 and im pretty sure it is a 5.7...as for the headers i have some sitting around already..im looking for an exhaust that has a deep sound...was thinking about running the regular exhaust with an qtp cutout
I would just get a nice catback like spintech or just put a dynomax bullet back there with a turndown coming out of one side of the car it will have a deep sound just like you want. Make sure it is a 5.7 car.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Teching In

i will take it to he shop and find out if its a 5.7 or not

Quick Reply: z28 5.7 build help