Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

bought a truck has a small problem any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought a truck has a small problem any ideas?

just bought a 89 gmc k3500. 217xxx miles. tbi 454 th400 trans. problem is truck will die at any given time. hot, cold, full or empty tank. so i have to stop put it back in park and restart it. also sometimes it will idle for 5 sec on cold start on die. i would think being fuel injected it would keep itself running.... any ideas would be great. thanks.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's it have for a computer, is that year obd-ii ? if so first thing to do what scan the computer for codes and diagnose from there.
Generally if it's a fuel starvation issue you will get hesitation and stumbling, loss of power, before it dies. When it shuts off like you just turned the ignition key off while driving, that's electrical. Problem i had with my 03 jeep gc is it would die while driving 40mph down the road like you turned the key off, turned out to be the wiring harness on top of the engine feeding the fuel injectors was sitting on the valve cover stud (as installed from the factory) and after 50k miles the stud wore into the harness and chaffed into and grounded 4 wires. It would confuse the computer, shut off the engine and also throw the security crap and not let me start the engine for 20 minutes but also reset the computer which never threw an engine code. So from that experience, i recommend checking the wiring harnesses throughout the engine bay and feel for areas that have wear. good luck.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just obd1. also at about 55mph on the freeway the check engine light will come on and just lose power like its pulling timing.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the ignition module in the distributor. I have seen those things do some odd things. There is usually a dielectric grease that goes on the backside of it that dries up and will cause the ignition module to go haywire and the vehicle will run sporadically on not run at all. Alot of those TBI vehicles do that kind of stuff. Just turn the corner and blam! nothing

Quick Reply: bought a truck has a small problem any ideas?